Avoid Cheap Ballasts

oh  f*%k  no! ... quick grab yer tin foil hats folks here we go again ...

Frazz your a genius I just googled RF and blockers one particular blocker of RF is aluminum foil so all one would need to do is construct a box with a fan and cover it with aluminum foil to place there electronic ballast inside of but if you have a 3+ light set up ucan probably afford something fancier than a box of alfoil haha

I was told recently that the lead from digital ballast to bulb can work as an antenna ,making for the interference they can give out .

Though this info came from a hydro shop and he was spruiking the high par with light connected to ballast design. So

I took it with a grain of salt ,but it may have some validity to what he said.

Does anyone know which part of the ballast is producing the radio frequency?

looking at a nonolux digital ballast mini series 600w atm but after reading this i just dont know about them!

i so far am running 2 315w LEC, 1 is a nanolux and has me wondering do the digital LEC`s have the same problem? producing radio frequency`s?

i also have a hi-par 315w LEC, its not the one that is all in one connected to the ballast its all seperate. i have not had any issues myself, but i am wondering if it could be causing anyone around me issues or spot lighting my grow. as mentioned above? as one of my 315`s is a nanolux!!!  a little worried here about digital ballast putting off radio frequency`s, where can i find more info on what brands are safe and what not? or can someone fill us all in on this matter please?

Or am i completly wrong? i just read somewhere that LEC`s/CMH are not digital? so im now even more confused!!!!

Edited by medicalgrower
  • Upvote 1

well i just found this info out...regarding CMH 315`s.

Another benefit is that with the ballasts required to run them, you won’t have to deal with the electromagnetic interference (EMI) issues many growers experience with digital ballasts. High levels of EMI from digital ballasts are known to interfere with cellphone service, radio, Wi-Fi and cable television, and the Federal Communications Commission hands out citations to people who violate EMI emission standards.

so thats good news :)

• Upvote 2

What's the inside of an expensive ballast look like ?

Never opened one up but Im guessing it doesn’t look like a dog has a taken a crap in it after being on the Guinness all night :D

Speaking from my day job observations, the PCBs in most types of high end electronic equipment that are used in a wet or corrosive environment have a clear resin on them and terminals so that if there was moisture that got in you can see any corrosion.