When i use to grow outdoors i was anal about the porch light shinning on the plants but it had little effect through out the night cycle, this was a incandecent light bulb around 60-100watts and around a good 9-11 meters away from the plants enough light to elumen the backyard but not enough to triger the plants into day light hours

just think of when its a clear night sky with a full moon it lights up light anything even with my eye sight i can still see clearly

Indoors are much more sensitive for some reason, I cover or disable any LED's on electrical equipment even.  No to red lights, but green and only green seems to be fine, I've been using a green light for urgent lights off work for years with no issues.  Something to do with the plants can't absorb it so it doesn't wake them up?

I struggle to understand it as a full moon puts out fairly bright light, but for indoors it is an issue.

Indoors are much more sensitive for some reason, I cover or disable any LED's on electrical equipment even.  No to red lights, but green and only green seems to be fine, I've been using a green light for urgent lights off work for years with no issues.  Something to do with the plants can't absorb it so it doesn't wake them up?

I struggle to understand it as a full moon puts out fairly bright light, but for indoors it is an issue.

I was looking at a USA based LED shop the other day and I noticed on one of the LED's it was manufacturered with a green LED I wonder why? I have also heard about plants not being effected by green lights

our plants contain chlorophyll pigment which is green, chlorophyll absorbs blue/purple and red/orange spectrum light only

so the rest of the light spectrum is reflected making them look green

green light cannot be absorbed by the plant, so green cant energize/activate the chloroplasts which contain the chlorophyll

• Upvote 1

our plants contain chlorophyll pigment which is green, chlorophyll absorbs blue/purple and red/orange spectrum light only

so the rest of the light spectrum is reflected making them look green

green light cannot be absorbed by the plant, so green cant energize/activate the chloroplasts which contain the chlorophyll

Interesting frazz, i thought i read that they do absorb a small percentage (10%?) Of green light however the majority is reflected

• Upvote 1

Interesting frazz, i thought i read that they do absorb a small percentage (10%?) Of green light however the majority is reflected

perhaps i was gerneralising too much, sorry

some plant photopigments do absorb green light this is true, but  chlorophyll is the most common pigment in "green" plants that i grow

Edited by Frazz
  • Upvote 1