Water TDS/PPM levels

Hey guys just wondering what kind of water you are all using for your gardens?

I have been using tap water but it seems to fluctuate from 150-350ppm which I don't like. I got a second hand RO filter off gumtree today for $30 and it's producing water around 30-40ppm from the 350ish ppm tap water going into it and so I assume when the tap water drops down to about 150ppm I will get RO water of about 15-20ppm. It's just a 2 part filter and so doesn't do DI or anything, but pretty happy with that 90% reduction in solids for $30. I've been trying to find some cheap ways to improve my grow and think this will help.

Second question, when you are measuring nutes do you include the base tap water ppm? Say if I want exactly 1.2EC would I measure 600ppm or 570ppm assuming my RO water is 30ppm?

Cheers

HC

can't tell you about EC/PPM never measured , i use rain too or mix RO & rain when short on rain 

but rain can be an issue too sometimes , the first rain you get in a while can be a little suss 

cos it cleans off lots of stuff that has settled in / on roof / spouting , & if like me your only using small tanks 

& live in the city , the first lot of rain i'll use on flowers garden but not food or canna 

I run a carbon & sediment filter , i also run a Alkaline filter cos Carb & sed

can leave water a lill acidic , i use things like EM=PH3.5 would rather a base close to 7ph to start with  

& a re-mineralizer for the minerals removed , seems to work pretty good 

Edited by itchybromusic

Hey guys just wondering what kind of water you are all using for your gardens?

I have been using tap water but it seems to fluctuate from 150-350ppm which I don't like. I got a second hand RO filter off gumtree today for $30 and it's producing water around 30-40ppm from the 350ish ppm tap water going into it and so I assume when the tap water drops down to about 150ppm I will get RO water of about 15-20ppm. It's just a 2 part filter and so doesn't do DI or anything, but pretty happy with that 90% reduction in solids for $30. I've been trying to find some cheap ways to improve my grow and think this will help.

Second question, when you are measuring nutes do you include the base tap water ppm? Say if I want exactly 1.2EC would I measure 600ppm or 570ppm assuming my RO water is 30ppm?

Cheers

HC

HC Yeah u do add on the tap waters PPM reading to your overall reading, if u can get your PPM down to 30-40 your laughing the less metallic tasting shit in the water you feed your girls the better, water taste like ass from the tap IMO

Cheers guys, got about 25L of RO water this arvo, about 20-30ppm so should last me a while with my small operation, takes bloody ages to fill a bucket though. I went and had a few cones and forgot about one and it nearly overflowed. Rainwater sounds good but not an option for me unless I want to go and put buckets outside in the rain and try to catch it. Cheap RO unit is a good compromise I think.

Edited by hydrochronic

Cheers guys, got about 25L of RO water this arvo, about 20-30ppm so should last me a while with my small operation, takes bloody ages to fill a bucket though. I went and had a few cones and forgot about one and it nearly overflowed. Rainwater sounds good but not an option for me unless I want to go and put buckets outside in the rain and try to catch it. Cheap RO unit is a good compromise I think.

Haha lol