Harvest only by smell

I have never used a loupe in 25 years and only ever go by looks and smell and time period ....but as hasingitup said in the last few years I have let it go beyond he results what my normal time of harvest would be normally and the benefits are A1    so if you think it's ready give it another week or two...weather dependant.....

and through the last many weeks nearly every week the aroma changes and develops ...

I am satisfied with the results .....but....was...curious ...main reason was for the post ...

Are there people that only harvest based on a certain smell once the bud hits that smell ....

Taking into account there size and maturity

Basically 2 weeks ago one plant absolutely smelt like heaven and I would love for it to smell like that after harvest and cure etc.... but was no where near ready in size or hair colour ......and now it is ready nearly....... it smells wonderful but smells nothing like that smell was a few weeks back .....now there is major hash tones and from the afghan traits and most of the floral sativa traits have gone .

It is a Afghani x a big old Aussie haze  crossed 20 years back....makes great oil.

And alot of the offspring  look like indica's in veg........having a major veg change in leaf to sativa in flower .....starting of very florally and then haze spicy nutmeg  smell then to just a full on hash smell......long sativa looking buds but tight not fluffy .

In saying that i always harvest a week or 2  beyond when I think its ready 

And most people familiar with there own crosses do ...but has anybody played in that 6 week window with the same cross and what were the results ...?

My leaving it longer just makes it way more hashy....that overpowers all other smells

• Upvote 1

Why is everyone bagging Loupes ?

Yeah, I used to harvest by eye, smell, intuition, whatever you want to call it...... before the Internet.

I also used to grow out shitty bag seed.... without the Internet.

And depend on advice from only a couple of "experts".... before the internet.

If a tool exists to take out the "guess@ work, why not use it?

• Upvote 3

No ones bagging loupes, but after 30years you can't expect people to change, as I said it doesn't matter how you tell its ready, harvest it when it is and enjoy

I like a selection so I harvest slowly over a couple of weeks. weather permitting, if its going to be black as for two weeks no wind, and their ready out they come.

Its not new by the way , I new more people using a loupe 30+ years ago. now I'm retired I might get one for the camera, probably not, it would be cool though

• Upvote 1

I havent used one, only because I grew so long ago we just didnt. But got one for this year. Ill have a stab.

might not be of use , sometimes you pull for many other reasons outdoor not just maturity of cause that's the goal weather permitting  

there more for use indoor where you have control 

No ones bagging loupes, but after 30years you can't expect people to change, as I said it doesn't matter how you tell its ready, harvest it when it is and enjoy

I like a selection so I harvest slowly over a couple of weeks. weather permitting, if its going to be black as for two weeks no wind, and their ready out they come.

Its not new by the way , I new more people using a loupe 30+ years ago. now I'm retired I might get one for the camera, probably not, it would be cool though

didn't think you were bagging 

always good to be open minded about stuff imho

& lots of things aren't new but new to the learner   

• Upvote 1

Hey Kickarse,

Instead of getting a micro lens for your camera, I bought a USB microscope for the computer that can take photos.

Something like this: http://www.dshop.com.au/buy/500x-hd-colour-digital-microscope-with-usb/U500X?gclid=CjwKEAjwwcjGBRDj-P7TwcinyBkSJADymblTC37kX1eKo1H9cFPhJ5ONSiaL495Aa0bXhqCWYTwH0xoCPanw_wcB

Merl1n

Yeah i bought one of those clip on camera lenses ..It has micro, wide angle and fish eye..It's much easier taking it off the camera and looking through it but still way to small and you have to either have an extremely steady hand or actually take the bud off the plant to be of any use..It's shit for plants but good for normal pics post-59579-149022546143_thumb.jpg
  • Upvote 1