Mixing Plants

Cypress

Hi all,

I'm lookin at settin up a *small* time grow, say 2 plants tops, and am aiming at doing it hydro style. I'd like to be able to have one mature plant in veg, take a clone from that, flower the mature plant whist the clone is vegging, once clone is mature, take another clone and flower the mature plant (1st clone), rinse and repeat (make sense?). Have plenty of room, it's about 2x3m and about 7 foot high, I don't think that'll be an issue. But have some other questions I'm hopin u guys/gals can help with.

1st question, to satisfy my better half, i've decided to grow some other plants, veggies etc. As stated above, i wanna go hydro, i think i can get away with setting my nutes up as follows:

Ph = 6.0

CF = 24

and use 12ml/litre of nutes

This setup will allow me to grow (i think/hope) cucumber, beans, corn and (hopefully) MJ all off the one reservoir. I've read it's better to have a Ph = 5.7 - 5.8 for MJ, can anyone c any probs having the Ph = 6.0? Any other comments/suggestions? Has anyone else tried growin other plants along with MJ off the same reservoir? If this will work it'll also help justify spendin a bit of money on lights, etc.

Another thought I had was to grow some other herbs, like basil, pepermint, stuff that's got a real strong smell to try and mask the MJ smell, in a separate tub in the grow room, has anyone tried this? or am I better off getting an ionizer to deal with the smell? (Ionizer was the first thing that came to mind, if there's a better/cheaper solution, i'm all ears.)

Have also decided that a separate enclosure (an old cupboard from garage sale maybe?) for flowering would be best security wise as i could put a pad lock on the door (and for my poor head :rolleyes: *whos there* :blink:) and am hoping as long as this is ventalated properly that should cut down on most of the smell? or contain the smell within the chamber? And then would I be able to dry in the flowering chamber too? remembering there'd only be one (maybe 2 ;) ) plants to dry at a time. Can anyone c any probs with this? or has tried this before?

Well that's all I can think of for the moment, any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the length of the post, shouldn't happen again :-)

Cypress.

i took a ph test of all my plants yesterday and they're all from 6 to 7 (average 6.5 of course) and i have no real problems, i thought mj was best grown at 7 (neutral)

if anyone can contradict me please do, specially if my ph is wrong.

also would like to see some organic solutions for correctiong ph. (eggshells etc) and which lower/raise the ph.

as for the smell, you could install a few, even one bathroom exaust fan as these are pretty fantastic for expelling plant odour (as well as smoking the gear) & relatively economical.

as it all goes into your roof (depends if your in a house or apartment i spose) the heat and air in the roof dicipates the smell and it virtually disapears.

personally i love the smell of my ladies but ( :rolleyes: of the plant variety :blink:) although of course it can be a big issue for some people, i live in a rural area with house on the water with absolutely shytloads of fresh air so my outdoor plants aren't even that much of an issue.

hope to of helped.

Cheers

~Boe~

The main things that spring to mind are that different plants have different growth rates and heights (a real pain for setting light heights) and the fact that you could probably buy a hundred kg of vegies for the cost of an ounce of mj so why waste the light and nutrients on vegies.

:rolleyes:

window mounted exaust fans are available as i've seen quite a few, not sure if you might have to cut a hole in the window but, in the long run, you could cut a hole in the window, then replace the glass for abour $40 when you move out. the landlord might even want it kept there :P for "personal purposes" lol

i see toms point to, outdoor veggies are good and good to hide mj in aswell, just the seasons are a bit out lol also with light hight would be a massive pain in the ass.

Tom, hadn't even considered the different grow heights of the plants. The reason for wanting to grow other plants is more of a security through obscurity, i figure if someone see's "everyday" plants growin they shouldn't look to hard and see the "special" ones :-) and again, it helps me justify the cost to the GF. Do you think if I let the sun in through the windows during the day this might help aleviate the height/light prob? I'm more worried about the quality of the MJ than the other plants, so i could just setup the light to provide best conditions for that, maybe?

Boe~pimp, sounds like it might be the go, the windows are actually luvers (spelin?), so i should be able to slide out the glass panels, then replace when we leave, here's hoping, and the landlord'll be none the wiser lol

Cypress.

hey cypress,

if the "other plants" are big enough to hide your mj plants then they'll tend to shade them which isn't good or possibly force you to set your lights too high, if they are significantly shorter they won't really help with your stealth problem. If its an indoor grow you should have it locked away where no one can see anyway.

Why don't you justify the cost to your girlfriend by explaining to her that growing a pound of mj will cost you $300 while buying a pound will cost you $3000,

Pipeman (and Tom),

Hi guys, yeah, i guess it's back to the drawing board, plant heights would end up bein my downfall.

Now i'm thinkin 2 or 3 cupboards (1 veggin, 1 flowerin, 1 dryin) in the room and a table in the middle with veggies on em, the veggies can grow off natural sunlight, and i'll hafta figure out how i'm gonna setup the cupboards for best effect, once i've got some more ideas i'll be back with more questions i'm sure :-) Till then thanks for the help/advice.

Cypress.

New information, some friends of a friend got busted today. As the cops were taking all the grow gear they told them that if they had been growing some other kinds of plants in there as well then they couldn't have taken the lights etc. Might have to consider putting some strawberries or something in with my future grows, they don't need to do well, just stay alive.

The cops also told them that they had been reported during a phone-in week for manufacturing amphetamines, they weren't, they don't even use them. They had 10 or 12 plants and got off with a warning and some advice on how not to lose their grow gear.

lol

New information, some friends of a friend got busted today. As the cops were taking all the grow gear they told them that if they had been growing some other kinds of plants in there as well then they couldn't have taken the lights etc. Might have to consider putting some strawberries or something in with my future grows, they don't need to do well, just stay alive.

The cops also told them that they had been reported during a phone-in week for manufacturing amphetamines, they weren't, they don't even use them. They had 10 or 12 plants and got off with a warning and some advice on how not to lose their grow gear.

lol

shit thats good (about getting off with a warning). If someone narked on them its a worry, because they may do it again. A guy I know got busted for a grow a few years ago because someone called the cops on him, and the police just came and searched his house again recently because they got another report he was growing even though he wasn't. Probably from the same guy, we've got our suspicisions about who it is but don't really know. Unfortunately this guy can't grow now because he never knows when the cops will come knocking.

However the cops in Tassie sound a lot more laid back about MJ than they are up here in Qld.