Equipment check

It's not really a matter of cost as much as it is value. If it's something that I could go without initially and just monitor the temps then that is obviously what I'd prefer to do. But if you think it's something that is worth the investment then it's not an issue.

I've currently got a metal shed from bunnings and that's what I'm looking to replace. The wooden shed will effectively be a little house so I don't think water ingress or moisture will be much of an issue.

Water or moisture is in the air my friend and u need to suck fresh air thru your grow tent that moisture will be sucked out of the air and into the wood where it will possibly go moldy

since this will be your first grow, cannabis loves high humidity while in the veg stage, high humidity = lots of moist air, moist air

Water or moisture is in the air my friend and u need to suck fresh air thru your grow tent that moisture will be sucked out of the air and into the wood where it will possibly go moldy

since this will be your first grow, cannabis loves high humidity while in the veg stage, high humidity = lots of moist air, moist air

I was planning on hooking the ventilation like this: passive intake direct from hole in the wall to the tent intake. Active exhaust taking air from the tent exhaust -> filter -> fan -> out the wall. Hopefully this will keep the humidity out of the shed and in the tent. If I need to increase humidity in the tent during initial veg then I can add a bowl of water in front of the desktop fan. On the other hand if I need to lower humidity I've got a stray dehumidifier lying around that should do the trick.

And I just thought to add that I'll be monitoring 3 sets of temp and humidity: inside the tent, inside the shed and outside. That way I should be able make reasonable decisions to control temp and humidity both within the tent and within the shed.

Edited by sydneycoyote

Yep, I've cut holes in the back (out of sight) wall to vent in and out of the shed.  Being near pool equipment will be great cover for the airflow noise.

The reason for keeping your gardening equipment out of the shed is that an indoor grow is all about trying to create the perfect growing environment, which also creates a perfect environment for pests and diseases that like plants.  Problem is that these pests have nothing to keep them in check if they get into that environment, so they will go nuts if they get in.  You do stuff in the garden, or mow the grass etc, and then put that gear in the shed next to your indoor environment, and it's got good potential for transmitting nasties from outside into it, then you've got problems that can become difficult to control.  So keep it separate, and clean yourself if you go from outside gardens to the inside one.

As for the tent, dunno about the other one.  The separate floor lets crawling insects find their way in, mainly crickets for me, but a few spiders, some weird bugs I've always called lion ants at one stage, and the odd little frog.  Frogs wouldn't bother me, but they end up dying in there, which makes me sad.  My floor under the tent is not even, so maybe with a solid and flat surface the problem may no longer exist.  I taped down the bottom flaps of the tent before putting the floor in last time, and spray surface spray around the outside edge of the tent where I can reach, which helps a lot, but doesn't completely fix it.  It's just a stupid design flaw, in an otherwise well constructed tent.  The PAR surface sounds great, but I haven't completed a grow using LEC lighting in it, so I don't know how good it really is.

Yep, I've cut holes in the back (out of sight) wall to vent in and out of the shed.  Being near pool equipment will be great cover for the airflow noise.

The reason for keeping your gardening equipment out of the shed is that an indoor grow is all about trying to create the perfect growing environment, which also creates a perfect environment for pests and diseases that like plants.  Problem is that these pests have nothing to keep them in check if they get into that environment, so they will go nuts if they get in.  You do stuff in the garden, or mow the grass etc, and then put that gear in the shed next to your indoor environment, and it's got good potential for transmitting nasties from outside into it, then you've got problems that can become difficult to control.  So keep it separate, and clean yourself if you go from outside gardens to the inside one.

As for the tent, dunno about the other one.  The separate floor lets crawling insects find their way in, mainly crickets for me, but a few spiders, some weird bugs I've always called lion ants at one stage, and the odd little frog.  Frogs wouldn't bother me, but they end up dying in there, which makes me sad.  My floor under the tent is not even, so maybe with a solid and flat surface the problem may no longer exist.  I taped down the bottom flaps of the tent before putting the floor in last time, and spray surface spray around the outside edge of the tent where I can reach, which helps a lot, but doesn't completely fix it.  It's just a stupid design flaw, in an otherwise well constructed tent.  The PAR surface sounds great, but I haven't completed a grow using LEC lighting in it, so I don't know how good it really is.

Thanks for that. I will definitely keep the garden equipment separate from the grow equipment :)

I'll also make sure tape down the flaps. There's this youtube video where a Russian guy compares the Growlab and the HomeBox Evolution. From what I can gather from the dodgy youtube auto-translate the Evolution does have better reflective properties and a better build quality. However, there's a $50 difference between the GrowLab and the HomeBox, $45 difference between the HomeBox and the Gorilla lite and $220 between the Gorilla lite and the Gorilla... I hate these situations... There really is surprisingly little info on the net re these grow tents.

Go with SeaHawk I love the quality and they've got locking metal corners too. Aha the guy in my local shop actually straight dissed grow lush and said it's shit you can't even get through a grow with one of their fans.

Thanks DrBlue, that helped me out massively. Just had a ring around and apparently the SeaHawk and the Jungle Room are very similar quality wise but the Jungle Room is having a sale (~$200) so I'm definitely going for that.

Just wondering what you guys think about pot size? Considering that I've got a 1.2x1.2 grow area do you think its best to go with lots of smaller plants or a few larger ones? I am starting from seed so clones aren't really viable at the moment.

Fabric pots seem like a good idea. I was thinking 4 * 38L pots (40cm in diameter). I might be able to fit 5 in there.

I have owned around 5 tents and the best by far for quality and building is the Grocell Tent it has all metal corners and locking poles, i would recommend it to anyone looking at buying a tent

ive been looking at the grocells on ebay and they advertise that they use plastic corner connectors, maybe they have dropped quality since u got yours? i still like the look of them for the price tho

Thanks DrBlue, that helped me out massively. Just had a ring around and apparently the SeaHawk and the Jungle Room are very similar quality wise but the Jungle Room is having a sale (~$200) so I'm definitely going for that.

Just wondering what you guys think about pot size? Considering that I've got a 1.2x1.2 grow area do you think its best to go with lots of smaller plants or a few larger ones? I am starting from seed so clones aren't really viable at the moment.

Fabric pots seem like a good idea. I was thinking 4 * 38L pots (40cm in diameter). I might be able to fit 5 in there.

Fabric pots are the shit man but buy a quality set I'm using 7 gallon so something like 26L my plants are around 1 meter tall in them and i am watering once every second day