Time for a light upgrade .. CMH or LED or stay with HPS

Stick with what you know, I've been using 600hps's for 20+ years running Aero for the most part

Or you could road test the 315s, Hazelwood closing will rise power prices, they might be the way to go?

I like a bloke that breeds his own, well done

Yeah my gear is getting old so replacement is needed soon. Ive always loved the 600hps and it has served me very well, I invested in quality, payed a little more and it has lasted .But it is old tooth technology . I'm leaning towards the 315 with maybe an adjustable reflector . to save 300 watts would be a bonus. I sure do love my breed even had the odd freak surprise me over the years its very rewarding .  

Sorry just realized u mentioned in post 1 you are running 600w HPS, here's how i would run the COB lights

attachicon.gifNew Skitch.jpg

here is my diary using the COB LED's https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/77303-the-duct-tape-king-goes-double-down-with-led-cobs/ they are expensive but u can factor in the less power usage and no bulb replacements plus the saving on purchasing but exhaust fans and the expense of running them

there are a few different designs

these seem the easiest to buy and set up basically 2 low voltage wires, and 2-3 main 240v wires for the LED driver

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut3012

these are what I'm running in my diary thread, basically 2 wires to wire up and ballast wiring 3 wires to 240v, these run so cool its amazing  but one downer is the fans suck from above and blow down on top of the plants on really hot days if the light is 15cm away from plant tops u can see some minor leaf curling similar to HID lighting, you need to run a 12v power supply for the fan

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut2792

than you have these kits below all u need to do is the same as the previous lights with wiring than just get a length of 100-150mm heat sink by 1 meter, 1.2 meters long and screw these light kits to the heat sink for DIY lights

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut2905

Thanks I will have a good read cheers.. Look forward to following your grow too.

I would agree that unless you are loaded, the good LED tech is over the top.  Also agree with concerns of it becoming outdated pretty quick.  And, despite seeing people getting improved results, I'm still concerned about penetration with LED, though it sounds like some of the tech is improving this.

CMH/LEC I find much more exciting, the combo of less heat output along with a light spectrum apparently close to that of sunlight is very appealing.  We've got a couple of growers using them with good success, and there are some reports on the net of improvements to smell, taste, and resin production, using them.  Heat output is significantly reduced compared to 600w HPS, to the point I'm worried about using them over the winter months where HPS used to keep temps just right.  If you go with them, and use the globe for flowering, you may find it worth either vegging under something else, or getting the veg globe as well, as they seem to cause a much tighter internodal length in veg.  Yes, they can sort of have a slightly smaller footprint than 600w HPS, but if you take a 1.2*1.2m tent as an ideal size for a 600w HPS as an example, you will find that with the right shade a CMH will happily cover that space, so no big deal there.  Whereas LED's definitely do have a narrow footprint.

Some of the newer generation seem to like putting shit on HPS, but IMO a 600w is well and truly proven to give good results reliably.  I see no reason not to use them on that basis, if that's what you want to use and they aren't causing you any problems. 

:peace:

I would agree that unless you are loaded, the good LED tech is over the top.  Also agree with concerns of it becoming outdated pretty quick.  And, despite seeing people getting improved results, I'm still concerned about penetration with LED, though it sounds like some of the tech is improving this.

CMH/LEC I find much more exciting, the combo of less heat output along with a light spectrum apparently close to that of sunlight is very appealing.  We've got a couple of growers using them with good success, and there are some reports on the net of improvements to smell, taste, and resin production, using them.  Heat output is significantly reduced compared to 600w HPS, to the point I'm worried about using them over the winter months where HPS used to keep temps just right.  If you go with them, and use the globe for flowering, you may find it worth either vegging under something else, or getting the veg globe as well, as they seem to cause a much tighter internodal length in veg.  Yes, they can sort of have a slightly smaller footprint than 600w HPS, but if you take a 1.2*1.2m tent as an ideal size for a 600w HPS as an example, you will find that with the right shade a CMH will happily cover that space, so no big deal there.  Whereas LED's definitely do have a narrow footprint.

Some of the newer generation seem to like putting shit on HPS, but IMO a 600w is well and truly proven to give good results reliably.  I see no reason not to use them on that basis, if that's what you want to use and they aren't causing you any problems. 

:peace:

Thanks for the info... My room in a room is very well insulated  1.5 x 1.0 and hps600 has always done the job very well but required lots of ventilation , I like a mature plant so I often Veg under flouro's until I get a good fill and a nice big root mass and stump and I like the freedom a slower grow gives me, so I have time for other Hobbies and weekends away without requiring a baby sitter .. The CMH seems to fit my requirement and will cut cooling costs as well . From the quick maths I estimated 10 grows and the investment would be covered in electrical savings alone and if I take of the amount I had to spend on new HPS globes and Ballasts Im looking a 5-6 grows . This will also be easier to calculate the extra solar panels I need to get a zero bill and as a bonus I save their to as its 6 panels less than I need now . 

I spent the night reading grow journals and from all accounts they seem to be producing great results . But the Globe seems to get a mention , many recommend using the Phillips Horticulture range over other brands and using both 3k and 4k work the best. 

Any recommendation on Aussie shops ? 

These guys had a pretty good price on these:

https://www.eppinghydroponics.com.au/hi-par-315-watt-sunstorm-horizontal-lamp-kit.html

But that price has jumped up since I was there last.  You can specify which globe to send with it, can't remember if it's the 930, or the 942, which is for flowering.  It does come with the Phillips globe though, which is something like $180 on it's own.  You'd probably be best with the horizontal shade as the vertical is a very narrow square footprint, or you can get the same kits without a shade and use the adapter that comes with it to use an existing shade.

These guys had a pretty good price on these:

https://www.eppinghydroponics.com.au/hi-par-315-watt-sunstorm-horizontal-lamp-kit.html

But that price has jumped up since I was there last.  You can specify which globe to send with it, can't remember if it's the 930, or the 942, which is for flowering.  It does come with the Phillips globe though, which is something like $180 on it's own.  You'd probably be best with the horizontal shade as the vertical is a very narrow square footprint, or you can get the same kits without a shade and use the adapter that comes with it to use an existing shade.

I have shopped with the epping before so I will give them a call... Looks like a trip to Melbourne coming up. I love the peace of the country and privacy but it sure gets hard when you want to shop. And one must never speak of the Hydro word around these parts or on the stake and burned you are. 

I have to talk to them about Nut's to as My usual has gone walk about . 

They deliver using a freight company with no problems.  But that probably depends on how nosy your neighbours are, and if the freight guy is local and has a big mouth.  I'm 350km from the nearest hydro shop I'm prepared to do business with, so I mostly use freight, but do prefer to try and line up my needs with when I have to travel.

I have shopped with the epping before so I will give them a call... Looks like a trip to Melbourne coming up. I love the peace of the country and privacy but it sure gets hard when you want to shop. And one must never speak of the Hydro word around these parts or on the stake and burned you are. 

I have to talk to them about Nut's to as My usual has gone walk about . 

Your nuts went walkabouts? lol haha just having a laugh mate lol

• Upvote 1

They deliver using a freight company with no problems.  But that probably depends on how nosy your neighbours are, and if the freight guy is local and has a big mouth.  I'm 350km from the nearest hydro shop I'm prepared to do business with, so I mostly use freight, but do prefer to try and line up my needs with when I have to travel.

I usually get stuff delivered Im 300km to Melbourne but I need to do a big shop, stuffs warn out ,fans getting old, lights etc, even my ph and old truncheon have seen better days and i ran out of Nutrients on the last one before upgrade time ,Basically Ive prepared for a shut down and major maintenance time for the whole room and a fresh start. I also find a face to face helps with most stores. 

Your nuts went walkabouts? lol haha just having a laugh mate lol

At my age they have gone walk about too. lol

Hi Travis,

Your setup sounds quite interesting, I am a sucker for anything a bit different.

I am currently running a CMH 315w.  I think it is more comparable to a 400w hps than 600w. 

It does run much cooler than the hps. I have it in a cooltube at the moment and the footprint is very small compared to the 400w hps also in a cooltube.  However, as SPH mentioned, with the right reflector this may be improved. 

While I do not regret buying the CMH as it allowed me to grow through an extreme summer, I am not yet convinced it is better or on par with hps.  I found the buds grown under the cmh took longer to finish than the ones under the hps and were not as dense as the hps grown buds.  But again that may have been due to the extreme heat through summer.