Free seeds viability ?

Hey folks ,

I recently purchased some seeds online and happend to score 5 free seeds with my order .

Out of all 5 of the free seeds only one germinated successfully using the same method I've always used .

Are these seeds given out because they have lower viability and are unable to be sold ?

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Not always but yes i would say it's definitely a good possibility. Nearly all seed banks need to give away freebies to compete

Sometimes they will send you non viable seeds you paid for also.. 

Seed banks cant guarantee viability of every seed whether they are free or not but i do know of at least one that regularly sends out those type of seed. Not sure if its old stock but they are getting a rep for it.

There are some good companies that i am sure would not intentionally send bad stock but seeds don't have viability dates on them.  It's impossible to know unless it keeps happening from the same place. May have just been luck of the draw this time.

It would be logical for them to send older seedstock, or strains that are not popular.  But it's also logical for them to send good ones out for marketing purposes, ie you grow a great strain and love it so you go back and buy a pack.

I've had probably 1/3 of the free seeds I've tried not crack, but sadly I've also had about 1/4 of the purchased seeds do the same, usually finding a whole batch of a given strain to be 100% one or the other.  Upside is that some of the freebies have turned out to be extremely good.

I can live with freebies not being viable, but when the bought ones fail I get a bit miffed.

:peace:

• Upvote 1

I got five free Mazar seeds recently. I planted two and neither germinated. The other three seeds will have to wait for the next grow. Not expecting much. I suspect they give away old stock as free seeds. But since they are free, I feel that any germination is a bonus.

I planted another two seeds that I paid for from the same source in the same order and they both germinated and grew well.

Edited by OldGardener