YES or NO to cutting off leaves for more light .?

A few days ago, a friend told me i should start removing leaves on my outdoor cannabis plants. The tops of the plants are becoming crowded with big healthy leaves and I am concerned about light penetrating to the lower branches. I am getting some conflicting answers from experienced growers , hopefully someone here can clarify a few points and help clear some of the misinformation.

I was about to cut off the two top leaves as shown in the picture but I thought it would be a good idea to ask first . 31097ff7769b2fbfd352324d21d7044a.jpg

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Edited by jamie.dee

A few days ago, a friend told me i should start removing leaves on my outdoor cannabis plants. The tops of the plants are becoming crowded with big healthy leaves and I am concerned about light penetrating to the lower branches. I am getting some conflicting answers from experienced growers , hopefully someone here can clarify a few points and help clear some of the misinformation.

I was about to cut off the two top leaves as shown in the picture but I thought it would be a good idea to ask first . 31097ff7769b2fbfd352324d21d7044a.jpg

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

IMO those big leaves on the top are producing all the energy the plant needs to grow those new shoots, cut off the plants sugar factory and you shut down production untill it can than regrow more leaves than reopen production

if u have to always fold a leaf below a branch that is trying to grow above the leaf but never cut them off

Hi Jamie, I believe the removal of fan leaves is mainly for indoor grows for various reasons.

Here is another thread about removing fan leaves with some helpful information as to why or why not:

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/64192-removing-fan-leaves/

I  personally leave my leaves alone and only remove old yellowed leaves near harvest time.