LED's again

hi guys, have been following this sight for a while and just joined,as an older guy I have done some good grows in the bush but its getting  to hard lugging shit around in 40c heat.so im going indoors and planning on LED I know its a touchy subject and looking at different posts from (2014) a lot of conflicting views soooo

looking at different lights and basically ALL the light companys blowing their trumpets I have come to this, apache and area 51 to expensive, bml spyder not sure about, cobs not sure either.my choice was g8 900 or 600, times 2 approx. $2200. or californialightworks solarstorm 440 approx.$1800 for 2 deal.any input or other recommendations appreciated. also as no indoor growing experience any input to the best soil/medium would be good .

cheers guys

Barn i use to be a frequent viewer on UK420 in the Mars Hydro lighting thread in particular and i seen a lot of nice grows using the Mars Hydro II lights, if your still shopping look into either the Mars II lights or the Mars Epistar lights

check out this fella's grow under the Mars Hydro Epistar lights half way thru FiveToMidnight's thread he upgrade the lights to the epistars https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/76998-five-grows-more-autos-ak49-auto-super-skunk-auto-cocoperlite-cflled/

youtube Growmau5 for DIY LED's , free info & CAD files 

or LED's by Spectrum king seem to be pretty cool 

https://www.spectrumkingled.com/buy-led-grow-lights/ 110 & 240v 

i think LED's & what can be done with them are pretty much on par , pardon the pun , with HID's

of cause there's many way to quantify that , poz & neg

seems to be a few side by side grows & visually HID wins

but on a scale , LED is the same or more in weight , up to

7 or 8% more i think was the quote

don't know if i'd be taking that to the bank at the mo but when you start

thinking power saving , spectrum & longevity over HID , it's hard not at least consider them

If a DIY kinda guy/gal then being able to design & build a light to your room spec 

is pretty cool i reckon & of cause can open doors to future income streams  

youtube Growmau5 for DIY LED's , free info & CAD files 

or LED's by Spectrum king seem to be pretty cool 

https://www.spectrumkingled.com/buy-led-grow-lights/ 110 & 240v 

i think LED's & what can be done with them are pretty much on par , pardon the pun , with HID's

of cause there's many way to quantify that , poz & neg

seems to be a few side by side grows & visually HID wins

but on a scale , LED is the same or more in weight , up to

7 or 8% more i think was the quote

don't know if i'd be taking that to the bank at the mo but when you start

thinking power saving , spectrum & longevity over HID , it's hard not at least consider them

If a DIY kinda guy/gal then being able to design & build a light to your room spec 

is pretty cool i reckon & of cause can open doors to future income streams  

Your spot on Itchy mate the saving in electricity is huge, I'm running in a tent that i have previously used a 400w HPS i am running 100 watts of cob led's with the same performance in veg so far

• Upvote 2

I'm in similar situation. Grew for years outdoors then had one grow indoors 15 yrs ago. Now I have set up two tents but am wondering if I can get away with buying LED lights from China ( most of them are made there) but not the expensive brand ones. Like $200 per unit instead of $1,000. They have all the specifications that sound pretty similar. Spending $800 rather than $4,000 is a pretty significant difference, so I am thinking, worth a try and if they've not good enough, I'll fork out for the pricey ones for a 2nd grow. I'd love to hear any feedback.
  • Upvote 1

The chinese 5watt diode LED's do work well they work extremely well in veg but only ok in flower, they also seem to lolly pop the main colas, once my last grow was cut up and dried my buds went a nice density all though they looked a little bushy or airy

if your ok with buds that fit in once bags you'll be happy with Chinese LEDs, if u want arm length buds u need to spend a little more coin and go with OSRAM LED chips that are designed for horticultural but these lights cost around $500 shipped from the UK and USA and $500 gets u a light that covers around 4 square foot from here the prices only go up

the LED COB i thought were shit but after i harvested and got a weight and a feel for the bud density i actually think they are really good but a little over priced for DIY jobs plus u have the worry of any fuck up's causing a fire its highly unlikely but there is a possibility

the only main concern about wiring up COB LED is the 240volt side of the driver which is basically 2 or 3 wires once this is completed and safe the low voltage side is a piece of piss, for me i went individual drivers so my maximum working voltage was only 36watts if i was to be zapped thats all it is but if u start getting into single LED drivers to run multipal COB's than u are talking about higher voltages ie: 4 COB's each at 36volts is 144volts that will give u a kick in the pants lol

• Upvote 1

I'm in similar situation. Grew for years outdoors then had one grow indoors 15 yrs ago. Now I have set up two tents but am wondering if I can get away with buying LED lights from China ( most of them are made there) but not the expensive brand ones. Like $200 per unit instead of $1,000. They have all the specifications that sound pretty similar. Spending $800 rather than $4,000 is a pretty significant difference, so I am thinking, worth a try and if they've not good enough, I'll fork out for the pricey ones for a 2nd grow. I'd love to hear any feedback.

Check out my thread if you want to see the results of a cheap mars hydro LED in a small space.

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/77488-small-led-grow/

My growing is not the best, first time in a long time giving this a go, but the light has done pretty well for about $230.