DWC May Try it Again

Chrystal

Has anyone had problems with the root mass on largish plants blocking the return or drain tube/outlet? if i went DWC again i was going to remove the buckets and sit them on a chair to drain each one

when i done my first DWC in those 30-40L black pots i never did water changes from memory i just added water i cant remember draining them...

when i done DWC for the second time i had a pump inside of the res for water changes but i think after time the roots clogged the pump because it stopped working

I cable tied fly screen around my plumbing to keep the roots in the appropriate buckets when I built my last DWC, but I didn't have a pump in the same bucket with the roots. You can also use those paint strainers for painters buckets to good effect. 

This guy has some killer technique, hope it's ok to post links here. Pretty old so maybe you've seen it before, but solid info. 

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=181239

^that's the whole thread, but specifically check post 107 and 108. 

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3838091&postcount=107

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3838091&postcount=108

yeah nice set up but still the drainage is still a problem i read in that guys post hence he ran two drain pipes per pot, i am renting so i need to know 101% I'm not going to flood

but i did read about the bit where he likes the water to touch the growing pot and have a higher flow feed line for increased production

yeah nice set up but still the drainage is still a problem i read in that guys post hence he ran two drain pipes per pot, i am renting so i need to know 101% I'm not going to flood

but i did read about the bit where he likes the water to touch the growing pot and have a higher flow feed line for increased production

I think he invented this method as he was getting blockages before and this should prevent it. Only needs one driain which is below the inner bucket so the roots should never get that low, the other line in is water in so it's constantly re-circulating and you could mix in top feed too if you want, still run the risk of something failing or pipes leaking slightly so it will never be 101% but might be 99% ;) A lot more complicated than simple bubble bucket though. 

I think he invented this method as he was getting blockages before and this should prevent it. Only needs one driain which is below the inner bucket so the roots should never get that low, the other line in is water in so it's constantly re-circulating and you could mix in top feed too if you want, still run the risk of something failing or pipes leaking slightly so it will never be 101% but might be 99% ;) A lot more complicated than simple bubble bucket though.

This is where it gets hard. You add more components and end up with more things to keep clean, more things to break or fail. Another reason I'm content with just a bucket and a sprinkler. KISS is always my motto

This is where it gets hard. You add more components and end up with more things to keep clean, more things to break or fail. Another reason I'm content with just a bucket and a sprinkler. KISS is always my motto

I actually bought a hydroponic system like your's from a hydroponic shop back around 2000 it basically was a 50 litre rectangle tub with a lid pretty much along the lines of DWC but it had a massive fountain pump that went inside of the tub, it had 4 mesh buckets, it was sold as a aeroponics system

sadly i never used it i sold it 2 or 3 days later because the fountain pump was so loud i could never have slept near it, kind of sounded like going thru a car wash haha

thinking about it today it may have been a good hydroponic system, i bought this aeroponics from the same shop i bought the DWC system in the black pots in my gallery so they were a keyed on shop with basic but effective technology for back in the day

• Upvote 1

Pump I use isn't very big. 15 mins every couple hours can barely notice it turn on / off, especially inside the fridge. I just tried saving some coriander and basil the wife bought with a real tiny pump I had and a small bucket. It's sitting out back and can barely hear it

post-60317-148850123516_thumb.jpg

Coriander isn't doing too well but the basil loves it. It's only been 5 days from soil to aero. New white roots shooting through.

post-60317-148850135839_thumb.jpg

post-60317-148850137025_thumb.jpg

If your pump was so loud could it have been high pressure aero? I want to go that direction but have been told the root chamber needs to be quite large

I actually bought a hydroponic system like your's from a hydroponic shop back around 2000 it basically was a 50 litre rectangle tub with a lid pretty much along the lines of DWC but it had a massive fountain pump that went inside of the tub, it had 4 mesh buckets, it was sold as a aeroponics system

sadly i never used it i sold it 2 or 3 days later because the fountain pump was so loud i could never have slept near it, kind of sounded like going thru a car wash haha

thinking about it today it may have been a good hydroponic system, i bought this aeroponics from the same shop i bought the DWC system in the black pots in my gallery so they were a keyed on shop with basic but effective technology for back in the day

I'm abit over this whole coco/perlite after this grow as i am watering evey second day and my coco is bone dry, still looking at DWC again, i just checked out one of the sticky threads on SCROG/DWC set up I'm liking that idea

thinking of buying a 1200x600x1200mm tent WDH and running either a set of cob led's or two mars hydro reflector 96x5w led's

looking at going with 4 individual growing pots unsure weather to go round or square I think square would hold more water capacity all though round is cheaper and easier to obtain

SCROG nets will be 600x300mm

anyone know where to buy 300x300mm square pots,tubs,storage bins? preferably black tubs only have to be 300mm wide can be up to 600mm length, I may look on ebay for the pre built ones

Hey gazza coco is almost at par with DWC once u have it dialed in.

I use to feed every 2nd to 3rd day as well but once i forced my self to feed daily the diffrence that was in the in the yield going from just a few ouncers to pulling a lb from a 400w.

Tunkers i think if you where to fill that bucked to about an inch below the net pots and put an air stone your growth rate will take off, imo when that pump comes in it is giving roots a bit of a bashing with the way that is setup that more of an areo setup but the spray is way to big to needs to b more of a fine mist...