DWC May Try it Again

Chrystal

Yeah that price is outrageous Hashy especially for something that would take all of 1 hour to make and less than $200, i think DWC is on the cards now Advance Nutrient make the PH stable nutes, my main hassle i had when i last ran the DIY DWC was draining the nutes i had it built into a custom MDF grow box and i used a internal pump to pump out the nutes but it always left a bit in the bottom so if i go DWC this time i will have it so i can either drain the pots in there stationary positions or i can remove the entire grow pot and swap the lids havent decided yet

thtis was my very first DWC it had a unique air powered squirter to water the expanded clay balls https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=12386

just realized i had a drain on these, i havent used these since the 1990's when i bought them but last used in 2006 someone ended up breaking in and stealing the whole thing pots, plants even the water in it bastards

more pics of that DWC system i had back in the day

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/1152-img-0338jpg/

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/1153-img-0342jpg/

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/image/1139-img-0001jpg/

Edited by Gazza2001au

I havent got a chiller in mine and so far so good.

My pots or res are not in the grow space though.

I have elevated the tent put the pots under it and cut a hole in the bottom of the tent for the plants to grow through.

I did this so the pots didnt take up valuable room but the added bonus it my water stays fairly cool it never feels warm. I might be just lucky but they have been going for 7 weeks now and no issues that I can see.

• Upvote 1

I havent got a chiller in mine and so far so good.

My pots or res are not in the grow space though.

I have elevated the tent put the pots under it and cut a hole in the bottom of the tent for the plants to grow through.

I did this so the pots didnt take up valuable room but the added bonus it my water stays fairly cool it never feels warm. I might be just lucky but they have been going for 7 weeks now and no issues that I can see.

Having your res outside a hot tent is the best idea. As long as outside the tent is cool enough lol my grow is in a "granny flat" that's literally a tin shed with interior walls. It's hotter inside then out haha Edited by Tunkers

the only heat would be air outside of my tent the air inside my tent is the same, as i am running LED COB's and there is pretty much no heat being emitted it is only using 100watts of light tho thinking about bumping it up to 3 or 4 LED COB's and 3 DWC buckets

You won't know until you test the temp of water once lights are all on. We're at the tail end of summer now though so fingers crossed it's all sweet

Back when I was growing 15 years ago I had what I guess is a type of dwc. It was 2 black recycle bins. One sat on top of the other.

The bottom was the res and in the top it had 2 of those little sprinklers that people put in there garden.

The water was pumped into the sprinklers and drained back to the bottom. The plants were just in baskets with clay balls that hung through a lid into the top bin. I used that flat out for a few years with no chiller and no issue.

The guy at the hydro shop even talked me into putting an aquirium heater in the res to warm it to 26c. The heater didnt help the plant at all but didnt hurt it either. Again no root rot or any other problems. That shed got stinking hot in summer as well.