Noob here - and quite desperate (nutrients, medium, etc)

Out of Searles with 20% perlite. Canna Terra pro and a coco block I got from a mate in a garden center the coco beats the lot with the canna close.

I have a giant Russian sunflower in a 250mm pot with pure coco that's beating a 290mm pot of Searles by about 30mm last I checked. 2 seeds germinated the same day and potted up the same day.

Only water used on both. I know they are not canna but I like doing experiments. All my canna in coco is still outperforming any soil and that's without coco specific nutes.

Coco is the way to go I'm convinced.

I have a mixed grow.

Next one will be pure coco with coco specific nutes.

How is it even growing (well) without nutrients in Coco ? Edited by billygoat

He recommended coco or coco cut with perlite in prepackaged bags. Canna terra is peat based. Might need to reread what he said. 

Ive used canna terra and it didn't seem to like me much. Not saying it won't work for you. 

I did recommend that instead of that shite Brunnings coco blocks, but not as the only choice of medium as he seems to want to grow in soil of some sort.  Didn't give Canna Terra a thought though as it sounds ridiculously expensive and complicated for a soil option when you have to use specific nutrients, and I too have heard it can be very finicky to get right, which sorta defeats the purpose of going soil over hydro.

If you're going to use Terra, get the specific Canna brand nutes, and research some successful grows using it.  Haven't seen it much on this site, but I know the yanks love using it, but I reckon us Aussies grow bigger and better buds so I don't pay a lot of attention to what they do :D

LST is lovely, and highly recommended, but that alone will not contain a canna plant inside a bucket once you hit stretch unless you continue pruning and abusing her during that period, which sounds like a good way of making an hermaphrodite.  I've seen a couple of micro grows started on this site, but I can't recall seeing one posted all the way to the finish, but could be worth a search.  Micro would be a good search word, as would PC case.  But at the end of the day, space buckets are not suited to cannabis, would still love to see you make it work though.  Might work okay with clones put in on flower cycle as soon as they strike roots for a little bud on a stick?????

Best of luck :peace:

This is my original account

Sir Hashy i have to disagree mate

the following 3 grow diary's are using bunnings coco i love the shit, scroll thru my diary's and see how healthy my girls were

Coco Chronic Diary

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/12812-coco-chronics/

Celtic Stone, White Heaven, Random Commercial Clones

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/13671-dope-war-celtic-vs-white-heaven-vs-commercial-strain/

Nirvana Chrystal

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/22100-gaz-returns-with-the-duct-tape/

This is my original account

Sir Hashy i have to disagree mate

the following 3 grow diary's are using bunnings coco i love the shit, scroll thru my diary's and see how healthy my girls were

Coco Chronic Diary

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/12812-coco-chronics/

Celtic Stone, White Heaven, Random Commercial Clones

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/13671-dope-war-celtic-vs-white-heaven-vs-commercial-strain/

Nirvana Chrystal

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/22100-gaz-returns-with-the-duct-tape/

Yeah, it can be used.  I know Lou used to go through a process of cleaning and buffering it before use, and had great success with it after that, did you do something similar?

I tried it once, didn't go to quite the same lengths as Lou with cleaning but still remember all the crap that was in it, and how it looked compared to the better stuff.  It worked for me, but not as well, and in the end I looked at the money saved vs the time and effort involved and have avoided it ever since.  Maybe I just bought a bad batch????

Yeah, it can be used.  I know Lou used to go through a process of cleaning and buffering it before use, and had great success with it after that, did you do something similar?

I tried it once, didn't go to quite the same lengths as Lou with cleaning but still remember all the crap that was in it, and how it looked compared to the better stuff.  It worked for me, but not as well, and in the end I looked at the money saved vs the time and effort involved and have avoided it ever since.  Maybe I just bought a bad batch????

The Coco Chronics was my first run in the Bunnings coco all i had done was dropped the brickette in a bucket of boiling water drained it mixed in perlite and used it like that i didnt even flush it as i didn't know i had to but i was running crazy low PH that entire grow the plants loved a PH of 3-4 probably because i never flushed the coco but they flourished

the second diary i gave the coco somewhat of a flush but not much hard to do 10-15, 12-15L pots plus i had to do it all inside otherwise i would just line them up out the back yard and run 40-50 litres thru each pot with the garden hose

for me the Bunnings brickettes work because i don't want to be seen walking out of a hydro shop with bags and bags of medium or even sketchier getting it delivered so i kept it on the down low

i have looked into the Nutrifield coco bricks i think i may go one this time because its flushed and there is no mucking around but i donno means i need to order it online where as Bunnings i can walk in and pick it up

i agree i have found a lot of shit in the coco, my first run i found bits and pieces of plastic think it was blue plastic from memory so the quality isnt there like Canna or Cash Crop but it does work well for me

When I first started growing when I was a teen I couldnt grow anything. Nothing died but I couldnt get them past a couple of sets of leaves. Then someone told me to just throw a seed in the garden and forget it. Bingo my first successful grow. What I did later on in my first attemps under a light was just take soil out of my dads vegie patch put it in pots and water it every so often just when it looked dry. What im getting at is your just starting dont go silly with all this special soil and nutes just learn the basics. Its a weed and sometimes the best thing to do is leave it alone. Learn how to not kill them with love then start getting fancy and try improve on each grow. The amount of plants I tyred to grow that did nothing makes me laugh when I think about it most of was because I tried to hard. Over watered over fertilized played with them to much. Honestly get some mushroom mulch bang your seeds in water them only when the pot dries out and give em some charlie carp and 1/4 strength every week or so. Dont play with too much and they will grow. Then trie to improve with each grow. Start at the bottom and work your way up learn with every grow. Thats how I got started anyway good luck.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

The Coco Chronics was my first run in the Bunnings coco all i had done was dropped the brickette in a bucket of boiling water drained it mixed in perlite and used it like that i didnt even flush it as i didn't know i had to but i was running crazy low PH that entire grow the plants loved a PH of 3-4 probably because i never flushed the coco but they flourished

the second diary i gave the coco somewhat of a flush but not much hard to do 10-15, 12-15L pots plus i had to do it all inside otherwise i would just line them up out the back yard and run 40-50 litres thru each pot with the garden hose

for me the Bunnings brickettes work because i don't want to be seen walking out of a hydro shop with bags and bags of medium or even sketchier getting it delivered so i kept it on the down low

i have looked into the Nutrifield coco bricks i think i may go one this time because its flushed and there is no mucking around but i donno means i need to order it online where as Bunnings i can walk in and pick it up

i agree i have found a lot of shit in the coco, my first run i found bits and pieces of plastic think it was blue plastic from memory so the quality isnt there like Canna or Cash Crop but it does work well for me

I never checked the runoff PH when I used it, so that may well have been part of the problem.  Bits of blue plastic was part of the crap I found in it, and some weird metallic looking shit as well from memory.  The Nutrifield bricks are great if you want it delivered, nothing sus about the package at all, plus they work out cheaper than the bagged stuff.  100l bags of perlite are a bit more sus though, but at least you can get them from a standard nursery without raising any eyebrows.

I'm near as paranoid as it gets, but I have no problem going into a hydro shop, or ordering online, but I do like to keep any purchases small scale to be on the safe side.

:peace:

Tried those compressed coco blocks..., took ages just to flush it all out till the runoff colour was fairly clear,can't remember its PH.

Found a glass thingy .,,,looks like a cut gemstone that Indian women sew on their clothing...thought I found a real gem from a ring at first though ,till closer look .

So yeh it's usable stuff but a lot of flushing needed , ......lot of flushing !

There is nothing wrong with bunning brick if you are a tight ass who like fisting around all day cleaning medium only to end up with 2/3 of what you bought.. If time =  money that stuff cost more than canna pro + anyhow.. 

I agree it does seem to work reasonably well when cleaned but not worth the effort unless its all you can source.