this idea of holding cannabis oil under the tongue for 2 minutes

fishwyfe

Question

I see it recommended that patients taking medicinal cannabis extract should try to hold it under the tongue for a minute or two. I'm wondering why.

Cannabis extract is oil soluble, so what is it going to do under the tongue?

Capsules of cannabis extract are also available, and these presumably are not going to be held under the tongue. Do capsules in fact offer anything advantageous? With the product being taken for its medicinal effects, you might wonder why patients would take it in a manner that fails to some extent to capitalise on all that it has to offer, if there actually is a benefit to holding the dose under the tongue.

Anyone know more about this?

6 answers to this question

Isn't it because under the tongue gets to the blood stream quicker .

Sure, that's the general idea—for water-soluble preparations. But is a fat-soluble preparation going to be absorbed to any extent with this procedure?

Or maybe people are just repeating what they've heard said, and it may be based on a fallacy?

You'll hear it recommended that fat-soluble medications be taken with a meal—so that the medication first dissolves in these fats and oils, too. In which case, does holding under the tongue serve any purpose unless there are fats present?

One site said that if you don't like the taste of the cannabis preparation, place a few drops onto a scrap of bread, roll it into a compressed ball then swallow it without chewing. Seems like they think you can dispense with holding under the tongue.

Edited by fishwyfe
  • Upvote 1

Don't hold me to this.  It's always been my understanding that the hold under the tongue method is for tinctures rather than oil based infusions, which is a standard method for edibles to allow absorption through the gut.

Under the tongue with alcohol or glycerine based tinctures is meant to assist with getting it into your bloodstream faster and better.

Having said that, sometimes when I'm too lazy to make coconut oil infusions but want a medible, I'll just dump some hash or oil straight into a cappuccino, and when I do that I will hold each mouthful under my tongue for 5 secs or so and it seems to help a little.

• Upvote 1

always been my understanding that the hold under the tongue method is for tinctures rather than oil based infusions, which is a standard method for edibles to allow absorption through the gut.

Under the tongue with alcohol or glycerine based tinctures is meant to assist with getting it into your bloodstream faster and better.

Now that makes sense, and I believe you may be right. Which means I think this advert snippet might be wrong:

http://herbaldispatch.com/product/tincture-purely-thc-alcohol-free/ says of tinctures:

Each 25 ml bottle contains 30mg of THC per ml.

In the simplest terms, it is a medicine made by dissolving an extract in a liquid medium; such as Ethanol, Olive, Canola, Grape Seed, and MCT Oils. Tinctures are quickly absorbed under the tongue and are appropriate for the treatment of many conditions. Use of cannabinoid medicines should always be used under the advice of a physician.

One dropperful of our tincture is a sufficient dose, but patients can safely apply more as needed.

Ingredients: Grapeseed oil, cannabis extract

Parts coloured in blue tell me this then wouldn't be a tincture.

Edited by fishwyfe

There are tablets that you can put under your tongue and it will be absorbed a lot faster into your system.

The alc or oil or what ever used it just a carrer for the thc and most of them can be put under the tongue to be absorbed.

You can do this as well with a suppository but the area u need to hit inside your butt in small and if u miss u will just poop it out with out the body taking it up...

There are tablets that you can put under your tongue and it will be absorbed a lot faster into your system.

Lozenges like these? http://pccorp.org/product/trokie-50mg-pure-cbd-citrus/

Probably these would be ideal to keep on hand for occassional needs, for example, by migraine sufferers.

You can do this as well with a suppository but the area u need to hit inside your butt in small and if u miss u will just poop it out with out the body taking it up...

Could I ask you to expand (even expound!) on this? I have been reading up on suppository methods, since for hitting cancer hard it is said to be the only way to deliver the extraordinarily heavy required doses of THC.

Edited by fishwyfe