Fan Silencers

Guys are any of u running two fan silencers one on each side of your fan if so how much quieter does it make the fan?

i can borrow a 100mm centrifugal fan for this run but its fucking loud a very whinny jet turbo like sound but i love the amount of suction it puts out, i was thinking of running 2x 100mm silencers @ about $200 i don't really want to buy a Whisper Silencer fan would rather save the $130 extra i don't have at the moment

but silence is what i need must be very quiet when running

any idea's?

my filter's are 100mm x 300mm and a large 150mm x 600mm

hey Gazza

i run

200m gear

carbon filter > acoustic ducting > cool tube > ducting > fan > silencer > ducting to outside.

TBO, the fan silencer does fuck all.

best thing i brought was a good fan speed controller for noise.

i have this one https://www.jaycar.com.au/0-260vac-variable-laboratory-autotransfomer-variac-500va/p/MP3080

works a treat and keeps fan noise to a minimum while still keeping tent temps down.

If stealth is important, forget about saving money and cough up the extra up front.  Think of it as an investment rather than a cost, besides which, by the time you finish buying add ons over time to try and quieten your system you will end up spending more money for an inferior system.

If you're sucking through your carbon filter, it will do more on the intake side of the fan for silencing than a silencer.  As stated above, silencers do very little, I run them after my fans but you don't get much bang for your buck.

Also as above, bigger fan with a speed controller.  I had a 150mm Hyper fan, doing the job nicely but with a bit of a jet engine whine at the necessary speed for the big tent, upped that to the 200mm Hyper fan and it's barely ticking over to do the same job, and the only noise is a little bit of airflow noise where the duct outlets outside the shed, best grow gear money I ever spent.  Add insulated ducting with a little distance and a bend or 2 after the fan and you're set.  My internal air flow fans make more noise than the exhaust fan.

The whispers' have a rep for being quiet, so if you like them deal with the financial pain and just grab one.  Quite often trying to cheap out on grow gear is a false economy and you throw the cheap shit out after buying the good stuff later on anyway.

Thanks for the replies, i would love the whisper silencer fan but won't be able to afford one probably untill flower time, i have found some cheap second hand ones but they are like 250mm 300mm it would be over kill for my application even if i dimmed it right back to around 10%, my tent is only a wardrobe tent and I'm using LED's so i don't have the heat to deal with but noise is a major issue

Thanks for the replies, i would love the whisper silencer fan but won't be able to afford one probably untill flower time, i have found some cheap second hand ones but they are like 250mm 300mm it would be over kill for my application even if i dimmed it right back to around 10%, my tent is only a wardrobe tent and I'm using LED's so i don't have the heat to deal with but noise is a major issue

Go bit bigger,, and dial it down,

Your wardrobe will soon become a tent, and your LED lights will soon become HPS, then your HPS will "have" to get bigger, trust me it will lol

then you will kickin yourself for not gettin that bigger fan.

It has happened to me and a reckon a lotta people on this forum aswell lol

as Hashy said, by decent stuff, again, myself and others have a pile of useless shit in our garage collectin dust!

not even worth givin away.

• Upvote 1

I'm not to worried about overall heat in the tent my biggest worry is encountering mould again so i need really good ventilation but just lacking the funds to buy a decent fan that is quiet, my little 150mm axle fan was previously used in my .9x.9m tent but i upgraded back than to the 100mm centrifugal fan, i really need the suction and air movement of the little 100mm centrifugal fan just without it blaring noise

a 200mm axle fan can move a fair amount of air way more than i need but i don't have any intake fans and when growing in tents i chose the stealth option for intake vents and just use my round intake vents i leave the long rectangle ones closed because i cannot have light shinning all around the room

so i need a fan powerful enough to draw air thru the bottom intake 100-150mm solo up thru the tent than thru the filter and duct it out, if i go with a 250mm axle fan i will have to reduce it 2 sizes which may take up space in the tent

what axle fans are u guys having success with? i remember reading a while ago the ozponic's plastic bladed axle fans were no good

I have a blauberg turbo 150

Some kinda can filter

some 250mm acoustic ducting.

Stuck the fan directly to the filter, and put the ducting over the entire fan, duct taped to the end of the filter, gazza, youd fuckin love it.

so long as theres enough of a bend in the ducting, it runs next to silent. better than a bathroom fan imo, with plenty of flow through