Can you give your plants too much light (600wt vs 1000wt)

not with correct environment ! but stick a thowie over a few little seedlings you will cook the crap out of them. 

when they make LED's easy to replace ie;(pull out a globe and just replace it with no soldering involved )and cheaper upfront than they are now only then will they be worth it, just like the electric car ! infrastructure needs to be in place cause waiting 3 weeks to get it fixed is not a option. 

I am setting up my grow cabinet and will be purchasing LED's. I am thinking about just getting a couple of 1000watt units from AliExpress. I figure that it wont be a true 1000watts, and I might not need as much. In the event the light actually gets close to the 1000 watts advertised would that damage 2 plants if I kept them far enough away to keep from touching. I was also thinking about getting a couple of 300 watt leds to have on the sides to ensure that the plants are getting light from as many angles as possible. Is this overkill? I'm sure I could use a 600 watt unit instead, but if I'm willing to pay extra would the extra light damage the plant?

I'm thinking that getting cheap lights initially would let me get started and I could have enough lights that the coverage would be far greater. Once I get things going how I think they should with a perpetual grow I will go with a Kind LED or Black Dog.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, I'm in that exact same quandary...I've got 2 x 600W. And 1 x 300W for a 1.2m/sq tent. And I've got no idea what to expect. But, am hoping I'll have enough for a 1st grow to justify buying a Kind or Advanced or Black Dog etc. May I ask how has your grow panned out lighting wise? It would give me some idea of what I can expect...providing I have all the other factors sorted!

Hey, I'm in that exact same quandary...I've got 2 x 600W. And 1 x 300W for a 1.2m/sq tent. And I've got no idea what to expect. But, am hoping I'll have enough for a 1st grow to justify buying a Kind or Advanced or Black Dog etc. May I ask how has your grow panned out lighting wise? It would give me some idea of what I can expect...providing I have all the other factors sorted!

Hey Anna You say you've got 2x600 and 1x300 in a 1.2x1.2 tent, is that correct? if you use all of those lights in that space. What I'd expect is one fried plant. That's way too much light for that space, even 1x600 is a bit of over kill. You'd need to have some real good ventilation/cool air flow. Here's a calculator that I use that may help http://cannaversity.com/calculators/lighting.php

HINT: When that link brings up the security page, simply cancel and you'll be able to use the calculator

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Hey there AnnaB as well as checking out merls link 

have a look at this one http://www.growweedeasy.com/lux-meter

buy a cheap lux meter , handy for a few things like when lamps

need to be changed or if you have a light build up in spots in your space

Hey itchy, I took your advice and got one ,but this says it goes to 50,000 lux .is it any good ?

I was thinking I need something that would measure up to 100,000 or a bit more.

Intended to take this back but havnt got around to it .

post-57984-0-15781800-1492943390_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Hey itchy, I took your advice and got one ,but this says it goes to 50,000 lux .is it any good ?

I was thinking I need something that would measure up to 100,000 or a bit more.

Intended to take this back but havnt got around to it .

attachicon.gifIMG_1435.JPG

Cheers.

i got the 100.00 job & for hid's it's prob better 

but i'm no expert on light meters , 

it's just a guide so maybe you can work it to suit 

if your gonna change , the sensor part is pretty important 

i've learnt since buying mine , again i'm no expert & it's just a guide 

Hey Anna You say you've got 2x600 and 1x300 in a 1.2x1.2 tent, is that correct? if you use all of those lights in that space. What I'd expect is one fried plant. That's way too much light for that space, even 1x600 is a bit of over kill. You'd need to have some real good ventilation/cool air flow. Here's a calculator that I use that may help http://cannaversity.com/calculators/lighting.phpHINT: When that link brings up the security page, simply cancel and you'll be able to use the calculatorMerl1n

Hey there AnnaB as well as checking out merls link 

have a look at this one http://www.growweedeasy.com/lux-meter

buy a cheap lux meter , handy for a few things like when lamps

need to be changed or if you have a light build up in spots in your space

Thanks for the help. I tried using a Lux Meter App on iPad but couldn't get it stable at all, just flicked thru numbers super fast. So rather than being cheap, I'll get a proper one! I actually bought a 2nd tent which is 2 x 2 x 2 m - arriving this week. So maybe I could spread the lights amongst the two tents. Really should've bought one good quality LED instead of 3 cheaper ones! Didn't do enough research first.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help. I tried using a Lux Meter App on iPad but couldn't get it stable at all, just flicked thru numbers super fast. So rather than being cheap, I'll get a proper one! I actually bought a 2nd tent which is 2 x 2 x 2 m - arriving this week. So maybe I could spread the lights amongst the two tents. Really should've bought one good quality LED instead of 3 cheaper ones! Didn't do enough research first.

Thanks again!

No worries Anna

It's all a learning process. As I've said to many members before, "if anybody tells you they know it all about growing canna, IT'S BULLSHIT". Every setup is different. I've been doing this for many moons and I'm still learning. Little tweaks here, little tweaks there. Sure, I've got things keyed in fairly well, but still tweaking, still learning.

• Upvote 2