Can you give your plants too much light (600wt vs 1000wt)

I am setting up my grow cabinet and will be purchasing LED's. I am thinking about just getting a couple of 1000watt units from AliExpress. I figure that it wont be a true 1000watts, and I might not need as much. In the event the light actually gets close to the 1000 watts advertised would that damage 2 plants if I kept them far enough away to keep from touching. I was also thinking about getting a couple of 300 watt leds to have on the sides to ensure that the plants are getting light from as many angles as possible. Is this overkill? I'm sure I could use a 600 watt unit instead, but if I'm willing to pay extra would the extra light damage the plant?

I'm thinking that getting cheap lights initially would let me get started and I could have enough lights that the coverage would be far greater. Once I get things going how I think they should with a perpetual grow I will go with a Kind LED or Black Dog.

Thanks in advance.

Is there such thing as over kill when it comes to watts for lighting i dont think so.

But in saying that it will come down to area the smaller the area the harder to control heat and that will affect the plants.

Think about the size of the area u are using and what u will have to do to keep temps at a levels that the plants wont have issues.

You may get bleaching and burning if the light is to close all u have to do is raise it a lil.

• Upvote 1

No mate. The sun on any given really hot sunny day is roughly 111watts per square foot.

I currently i have a tiny 3x3 table with 20 plants and two 600 watt HPS globes in a bare bulbed hood adjustawing over it. Nice and low and covers the whole table with the size of the wing. No tent.

Its bloody intense.

Usually would see 40 ounces off this setup.

2oz per cola in a sog mate in such a small space but with lumens smashing it over the top.

Texaskid has the same setup i do but with a tent and aircooled hood. Two 600s. And in a 1x1m tent. Average 111watts in there. 16 plants minimal veg and hits 3.2 pounds with the casey jones strain.

Yields like sombitch

setup is (2)600w over a 3x3 table or 1200w/ 9 sq.ft. = 133 watts per sq.ft. or 19,556 lumens/sq.ft. with this setup I can easily pull 3-3.25lbs from 9-16 plants on the 3x3.This is my all time favorite setup for yield, density, finish time, potency all that good stuff. Dual bulb hood used in a 3x3 Hydrohut tent.

#2 (1) 1000w over a 3x3 table or 1000w/ 9 sq.ft. = 111 watts per sq.ft. or 16,111 lumens per sq.ft. perfect for single bulb single hood setup and or in a tent.

#3 (3) 1000w over (2) 3x6 tables or 3000w / 32 sq.ft. = 83 watts per sq.ft. or 13,594 lumens per sq.ft.. This setup is on movers and does alright but could use another 1k to really kickit into gear, but overall decent.

#4 (1) 1000w over a 4x4 table or 1000w / 16 sq.ft. = 63 watts per sq.ft. or 9063 lumens per sq.ft. To me this setup is right at the edge of what you need to really kick it out like on a 3x3. I really like the 3x3 tables instead of the 4x4 all the way around.

#5 (2) 1000w over (2)3x6 and (2)3x3 or 2000w per 54 sq.ft. = 37 watts per sq.ft. or 5370 lumens per sq.ft.. This sucks bigtime, movers almost make it more painful because of the shadow dancin..lack of cash has dictated this setup but still it sucks.

#6 (3) 1000w over a 11x14 room on movers or 3000w / 154 sq.ft. or 19 watts per sq.ft. or 2825 lumens per sq.ft. this is at a buddy of mines and he is complaining about yield, density, and finish times. this setup is doin just well enough to piss you off, not really crawlin but not cruizin either. I am tryin to get 6-8k in there for he real kickin flower action.

So I was curious what everybody else was doin and experiencin..

The sun is roughly 100w per sq.ft. full tilt so that is my basic minimum benchmark for my indoor satisfaction..

Mo lumens, mo wattage, mo betta..

• Upvote 1

Don't go el cheapo. This is a "900" watt Chinese special 2 months old $150 aud they offered me parts in the mail or $75 refund as half of the light still works hahha. Just start veg on cfl if you need time to save and get a decent LED light straight up trust me. post-59841-148404161465_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners mobile app

Edited by ramstimple