Cannabis Crops Face More Hurdles

http://australianhempparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Cannabis-crops-face-more-hurdles.jpg

There’s been a lot of talk lately about the use of medical Cannabis in Australia, and “progress” in relation to its availability.

The Narcotics Act has been amended, and various cannabinoids have been re-scheduled. State governments appear to be on board, with the medical profession wanting products to be developed and clinically trialed before they can be prescribed.

I’ve attended several meetings with Australia’s new Office of Drug Control (ODC) and our brand new drug tsar Bill Turner. Over the past few months the ODC has invited hundred of Australian companies, stakeholders and interested parties to formal gatherings to explain the changes.

This in itself is unprecedented when you consider that no other government in the world has willingly encouraged such get-togethers.

Tellingly, the ODC made it clear from the start, “Most of you will be disappointed.”

During these meetings, it became very clear there wasn’t much hope for anyone in the room.

I think the easiest way to explain the situation is to imagine you wanted to grow opium poppies for medical purposes, which is legal.

First you’ll need to get a contract to grow it for a company (foreign) which has a lawful source of seeds (as prescribed by UN drug conventions) and proprietary products, clinically trialed, approved, and made from the said lawful source.

Too Long

For over 60 years, Monsanto has owned the only lawful source of high THC Cannabis. Bayer owns Monsanto now. Bayer is also behind the worldwide pediatric epilepsy trial based in the US, seeking FDA approval.

A few governments have bent laws to allow some medical Cannabis use, or were forced to. The Australian government has said several times they will not legitimise any high THC Cannabis, but will consider foreign companies importing material to work towards clinical trials.

We find ourselves in this situation because there are no legal Cannabis products in the world,” Bill Turner said a few weeks ago. Which also means the Special Access Scheme is useless, still.

We’re in the same boat as every other country, no prescription medical Cannabis products until “lawful” Cannabis is materialised and full clinical trials are conducted.

But we’ll see and hear all sorts of shenanigans by governments as they say what they can to get those pesky sick people off their back.

Perhaps it’s time to go back and lobby government for interim measures which could be utilised during the next 10, 15, 20 years or until sufficient cannabinotherapies have passed the regulatory hurdles and become prescription medications. These measures would address the needs and concerns of 100,000 or more Australians who use Cannabis everyday for medical purposes.

Fight on we must.
Andrew Kavasilas

The post Cannabis Crops Face More Hurdles is on HEMP Party.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/hempparty/~4/wNwVqIEgGQo

View article source
  • Upvote 1

All I see is many bullshit excuses that will see big corporation try and monopolise all cannabis production and sales in our land.if not internationally.

With the backing of our corrupt politicians trying also to line their pockets what chance does the average joe have?

I say if we do not rise up big time we are Fucked.

Maybe follow Canadians lead , I don't know.?

• Upvote 1

this all looks depressingly familiar.

i must go back and see if i can find a "Yes Minister" episode that covers the topic.

or is it just another "catch 22".

So all those people with MS, or children with severe epilepsy, or any of the multiple medical conditions that cannabis can treat, can just wait, and wait, and wait.

fuck em all with the rough end of a pineapple.

• Upvote 1

How has America managed to legalize med cannabis as well as 9 states fully legalizing rec use!

What have they done yo achieve this amd can we follow there lead!

I usually keep my habit private and have done so for 20years as i felt we will never get the chance to legally produce and use cannabis, but my son encouraged me to come out of the closet about 6 months ago as he thought Australia was making head way but have since realized this is a dream and ynless people get together and fight these unjust laws i think i might head back to my cupboard and lock the door!

All i have seen at the moment is alot off dissapointed people becoming more confused and rhe government agai n bending us all over and going in dry!

If we want change we all need to get together and fight fight fight, protest, strike and refuse to accept any resolution short off the complete legalization of cannabis!

If anybody has the means of organizing such protests plz contact me b4 i go back to hiding from the public eye!

Evo13

Americunt here.

Reading the most recent article on what it takes to grow cannabis down under is depressing to say the least. MMJ being prescribed by doctors and needing to go to a pharmacy with a script. Fuck off! Ya'll seriously cannot let big corporations make this first step. The wave will capsize all true entrepreneurs and lovers of weed. The difference being eating at a fancy restaurant and a home cooked meal made with love.

The plan is to move to Brisbane in the next 2-3 years. When I first read that MMJ was being approved for medical I thought great. I used to be a provider in my old home state. Now seeing what I read I don't think that my idea of being a provider again is not so easily possible. We'll see.

I was in Portland, Oregon where recreational weed is available most everywhere a couple of weeks ago. Gawd I loved.

My hope is that things improve for ya'll.

Keep up the good fight

Edited by shylock

Important Information

By using the community in any way you agree to our Terms of Use and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.