Best pre made soil mix and ferts?

Hi guys,

I'm planning my first indoor grow and I was wondering, what soil/potting mix do you guys use?, I'm looking for relatively simple/cheap pre-made soil mixes.

The easiest option for me is to go to bunnings and get the Searles Premium potting mix and chuck some perlite in it, but I've heard that slow-release fertilisers aren't good for growing cannabis.

After searching around a bit, I found someone on eBay that sells Terra Professional potting mix which I've heard is pretty good. Should I go with this mix and perlite? For ferts, I'm deciding between Canna Terra Vega/Flores(a bit pricey: $56) and seasol/powerfeed for veg, potash for flower.

What do you guys think I should do?

Any and all advice is welcome!

Edited by BigBudda

Seriously mate, get the potting mix from Woolies  and the fert from cheep as chips , Brunnings, $10 a pack last all season, no need for the hipster shit, KISS principal works every time.

not what i would do but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

i use this:  http://www.rpmulching.com.au/potting-mix/coco-pro

because it contains mostly coco fibre and chips as its medium.

avoid potting and soil mixes with native gum and/or pine chips as the main medium.

i dont add perlite as its already a well draining and open mix.

Hi guys,

I'm planning my first indoor grow and I was wondering, what soil/potting mix do you guys use?, I'm looking for relatively simple/cheap pre-made soil mixes.

The easiest option for me is to go to bunnings and get the Searles Premium potting mix and chuck some perlite in it, but I've heard that slow-release fertilisers aren't good for growing cannabis.

After searching around a bit, I found someone on eBay that sells Terra Professional potting mix which I've heard is pretty good. Should I go with this mix and perlite? For ferts, I'm deciding between Canna Terra Vega/Flores(a bit pricey: $56) and seasol/powerfeed for veg, potash for flower.

What do you guys think I should do?

The slow release ferts don't seem to give any problems. Even on full strength nutes.

Any and all advice is welcome!

I have used and still use both Canna Terra and Searls. Searles is a lot easier to look after for a 50ltr+ size pots. Cheaper as well. Also Canna Terra only works properly if you use Canna Fertilisers. I found out the hard way. That is what I have found. I start them off in CT and move to Searles for the big pots. Just an economic thing. I would not buy any Canna product off ebay. Google Canna Terra and they will give you an outlet close to where you are. Yeah add perlite to both even though the terra has some already I think it is not enough to cause a problem.

Edited by brick

I have used and still use both Canna Terra and Searls. Searles is a lot easier to look after for a 50ltr+ size pots. Cheaper as well. Also Canna Terra only works properly if you use Canna Fertilisers. I found out the hard way. That is what I have found. I start them off in CT and move to Searles for the big pots. Just an economic thing. I would not buy any Canna product off ebay. Google Canna Terra and they will give you an outlet close to where you are. Yeah add perlite to both even though the terra has some already I think it is not enough to cause a problem.

Would it be okay to use the Lucas Method (Using GH Flora Nova Bloom) with canna terra professional soil? or should I just buy the Canna terra vega/flores nutes.

Anyone else used searls premium potting mix

I've used searls potting mix to start with it was great but had problems with to much Nitrogen towards the end of the slow release fert cycle in the searls potting mix i had N burn really bad.

I have 3 plants growing in searles premium potting mix from the very start with perlite mixed through havent had really any issues other then nitrogen toxicity in one plant and slight tip burn, but i decided to take out about half of the slow release ferts as it burnt my first plant and havent had really any burn from the soil for the other 2 plants and i removed alot of the big bits of bark aswell