Pair found guilty of giving medical cannabis

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/national/vic/2016/11/09/pair-found-guilty-of-giving-medical-cannabis.html

Pair found guilty of giving medical cannabis

Published: 5:36 pm, Wednesday, 9 November 2016

http://wa2.www.skynews.com.au/content/dam/skynews/news/national/vic/2016/11/09/skynews_183114968.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/skynews.img.600.372.jpeg

A Victorian couple who provided medical cannabis to cancer patients has been found guilty of illegally cultivating a narcotic plant.

Elizabeth and Matthew Pallett were found guilty on Wednesday of the charge after police seized 15.5 kilograms of cannabis from their Carrum Downs home last year.

The Palletts, who represented themselves, told the County Court jury they discovered medicinal cannabis to relieve their own pain and did not intend at first to provide it to others.

Both said they could not say no when people, including mothers with terminally ill children, came to them seeking cannabis pain relief.

The couple also admitted to growing the cannabis found at their property, knowing it was illegal.

'I don't think compassion is a crime, I think that's what society should be doing,' Matthew Pallett said.

The Palletts told the court cannabis should not be considered illegal for medicinal purposes.

Crown prosecutor Andrew Moore said it didn't matter if the Palletts had good intentions.

'This is not a test case about medical marijuana or cannabis, or whether the accused are good, well-motivated people at heart,' he said at the start of their trial.

The Palletts are due to front a plea hearing on Thursday afternoon.

That is weak as piss. Where do these pricks think people are gonna get their medicine? After plastering the headlines with "legal medical marijuana" and then making it unavailable in any form, people are going to be asking around for a supply. It is a lot of people's only hope for relief.
  • Upvote 1

At sentencing they were given a $1000 fine with no conviction recorded. My understanding is they are now looking for a way to appeal.

I assume they plead guilty to the cultivation charge. Not sure how you would get that sort of an outcome from the Vic County Court without pleading guilty. That said, what avenue of appeal could possibly exist?

I assume they plead guilty to the cultivation charge. Not sure how you would get that sort of an outcome from the Vic County Court without pleading guilty. That said, what avenue of appeal could possibly exist?

They tried to fight it on the ground of "medical emergency" under law I believe. As for an appeal I don't know but they are defiantly going to be clutching at straws for any legal reason a court will accept i think.

Great to see this is getting publicity and they are standing staunch to their beliefs about cannabis, they can only be admired for that, but at the end of the day without a solid legal defense people are going to keep getting found guilty just as they were which wont change anything.

In America it was the patients who stood up and proved medical necessity in the courts that changed things.

Unfortunately atm in Australia we are screwed with businesses, vested interests, research grant chasers and those naively following and supporting these people shaping the laws instead of the patients. Thus why the patients needs are being put last. The fed cannabis bill has just stitched everything up for research trials and pharmaceutical companies to spend years developing products while the very limited few who can access medical cannabis will have to rely on imported products to access medicine. It has basically created an American style DEA for cannabis in Australia. The last thing we needed.

We never needed the fed cannabis Bill but when groups like MCUA, Mullaway, Hemp Embassy and so many others who the Australian community look to for information should have been fighting it they didn't. :thumbdown:   Instead they undertook big publicity drives to promote and tell everyone it was a good thing and the few who tried to fight against it such as this sites admin, the Medical Cannabis Advisory Group Qld, Cannabis Compassion Australia and a handful of others got dround out and never got heard over all their BS. The fed bill could have been stopped but it's law now grrrrrrr......and the fight got harder......but it is far from over.

:peace: MongyMan

• Upvote 4