2 X 400W HPS

Howdy Folks, I have 4 plants in a tent running under 1 x 400w HPS and was just wondering how it would work if i put another 400w in there as well, I realize that it would obviously cost double power but would i get double the growth that 1 x 400 would give me? Reason i want to hurry it up is i am hoping to get them up to a decent size before going 12 x 12 hours before i need to start running the air conditioners in the house in the next month or two. Any advice appreciated..

Oh i have spare 400s ballasts and bulbs.

Cheers

Z

Hey Zeuss,

Ok, so adding your extra light would depend on the space or area size you are growing in. There is such a thing as maximum light for a specific area. Adding more light to a small area can cook plants. Here's a link to a calculator that will help http://www.cannaversity.com/calculators/lighting.php

"... Reason i want to hurry it up..." Hurrying it up is not always a good idea. Hurrying it up can stretch the distance between nodes, where the bud develops and depending on your grow style that stretch may be the last thing you need. In Cannaversity there is a basic (very basic) rundown on differing grow styles. If you are growing within a tent or confined space I'd recommend growing something like SCROG(SCReen Of Green)where you train the plant out to the edges of you grow space rather than allowing the plant to grow up. Also remember that when you go 12/12 the plant has a HUGE growth splurt. If you allow the plant to grow up, when you go 12/12 that splurt will over take your space often resulting in the growth coming in contact with your lights and burning the buds. To decrease the distance between the nodes, slow and steady can be a much better option IMO. More nodes can mean more budding points and thus more BUDS.

Merl1n

If you can maintain the cost and environment well enough to increase the power by all means do it, unsure how large your tent is but I managed to run a 600w HPS and a 400W MH stacked vert in a 1.2mx1.2mx2m tent with no issues just make sure that you keep the tempts in check, high temps = stretched plants and possibly foxtailing.

Thank you very much for the info folks, very much appreciated, I think i will put the extra light in for the next 4 weeks or so, hopefully a fair bit of the cost will be covered by the solar panels. Supposed to hit 30c here today so starting to warm up. i have a good carbon filter with a fan so hopefully that can keep the temps down. Thanks again

Z