Long time mothers?

I'm very much considering a plan that involves a mother that is cared for over multiple years. Stopping here. From what I've read, mothers aren't suggested to be kept for extended periods and maybe a few years at a top before taking a clone to restart the mother from "scratch". However, I have been told that from tests that have been done in the US by bigger companies that there is nothing that shows extended mother retaining is a bad practice and could possibly be done for up to decades. However, expect a bushy AF mother.

I'm 100% torn on what the hell I should try. I'm actually really keen on the idea of being able to maintain a mother plant to just take a clone off every 10 weeks or so but being able to maintain it over many many years to come and just create something that you look at like.. WOW, beautiful.. but is it possible... I don't want to be wasting time trying to yield off a clone from a mother that's just had enough.

Why?

I really would like to be able to, with each clone taken and grown, take a detailed feed chart and make slight changes and just create a perfect for my needs grow getting a few o's every few months and only for my needs. I have epilepsy/adhd/bipolar and this would replace all my prescription medication. I don't have much money and being able to afford good weed is VERY much a struggle. I should just save for a few tents over next few months and do it myself.

So my question.... Yes, I am hoping to keep one particular strain for as long as I can keep it in a cycle.

Mother "Forever"?

Mother every few years clone off restart mother?

Mother every few months clone off restart mother?

Cheers in advance :D

Depends on the method you're keeping her I guess, in theory, it may sound great to keep one forever, but is it actually achievable or practical?

Personally, the longest I've kept a mum was for about 10 months, but the setting wasn't ideal. Firstly, she was in her own DWC setup. Secondly, she wasn't getting good lighting and lanked out because I wasn't pulling enough cuttings off her.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the replies :) I knew from reading so many different things that each person might have their own response so I figured to ask and see.

Will deffinatly look into the Kevin Jodrey method a little more now. But now my "plans" are going to work around only year long mother cycles :)... She's only going to have one maybe two clones taken every 10 or so weeks, I'm never looking at flowering more than one clone at a time and changing out the mother every year makes a little more sense, plus I get to play more :P

Edited by ThatAUStoner