Beginner Grow - Indoor/Soil. SOIL/NUTRIENT QUESTIONS!

G'day Guys!

It's my first time posting here, and I'm also looking to start my first grow. So far I have everything in order, BUT, when it comes to the soil/nutrients part, I get a little confused and overwhelmed by all the different opinion/information that flies around online (especially in overseas forums).

SO, I was hoping some of you experienced Aussie growers could help point me in the right direction regarding which soils to use for a small, indoor grow. And also, which nutrients should I be using for Veg and Flower? (so many to choose from) Ideally, I'd like to be able to grab these items from either my local Bunnings or nursery. I DO have access to a local hydro shop, although I'm awful hesitant when it comes to actually heading on in there. (Are hydro shops a safe option?) 

Cheers in advance guys! 

Happy Growing! :smoke:

Edited by Marijuana_Enthusiast

If you are willing to head into your local Hydro shop they will be able to help you out with a lot of questions you have. Alternatively you could ring them up if you don't want to head in there just yet. The guys around my local Hydro shops have always been really helpful when it comes to these things. You should be safe to go to them. It's legal to buy hydro equipment after all.

For my first few runs I went with some cheap coco and a one part nutrient and it did the job enough to carry me through with a few additives here and there. Did the job with little complaints. Fairly cheap to.

Good luck finding out any other info to help you out.

If you are willing to head into your local Hydro shop they will be able to help you out with a lot of questions you have. Alternatively you could ring them up if you don't want to head in there just yet. The guys around my local Hydro shops have always been really helpful when it comes to these things. You should be safe to go to them. It's legal to buy hydro equipment after all.

For my first few runs I went with some cheap coco and a one part nutrient and it did the job enough to carry me through with a few additives here and there. Did the job with little complaints. Fairly cheap to.

Good luck finding out any other info to help you out.

Cheers for your speedy reply! 

I was hoping to find just a nice healthy soil mix, to last the plants a few weeks (possibly longer?) and then buy a nice liquid fertilizer for veg and one for bloom. And also, how much Perlite should I be adding to my mix? My pots are 21.3L. 

Thanks for taking the time to help, much appreciated. 

All good.

Yeah you should be able to do that if you wanted to. I remember some post recommending the use of seasol and the red powerfeed when in veg and when you switch over to flower use a potash nutrient. If I find the post I'll link it but pretty much you'd want these things. If anyone can correct me that'd be great.

As for perlite around 30% is a good spot.

All good.

Yeah you should be able to do that if you wanted to. I remember some post recommending the use of seasol and the red powerfeed when in veg and when you switch over to flower use a potash nutrient. If I find the post I'll link it but pretty much you'd want these things. If anyone can correct me that'd be great.

As for perlite around 30% is a good spot.

You're truly a legend mate, thank you. Very useful information and links.

Just quickly, isn't it important to have a higher Phosphorus level during flowering? A lot of the flowering type fertilizers I keep finding are relatively low in P.