Is this a magnesium deficiency ?

No matter what is written on their bottle's. Even other soil mediums require a ph of 6.5 to 7.

Thank for that brick, I have still be trying to get this def under wraps still looks like it's not taking mag and cal.. it's been about 7 days with the adjusted PH level.. the soil is sitting around the 6.5 mark.. I might bring it up again as you suggested to 6.8 next watering.. also thanks for the tip on the nutes and how you setup your soil have cutback on the ladies in flower to just over half strength. I agree with you on the auto.. it's been taking full strength since 2 weeks, it's at just on 6 weeks now. No burn at all, but I had the LED way too close during the seedling period and first few weeks of veg so it's got really tight nodes and it's really short - OPPS  :)  its amnesia.

When you water the medium.. Do you wait until the top level is dry first or just go off the weight the pot? Canna suggest waiting till it's 50% of the wet weight.. 

Cheers :) 

When you water the medium.. Do you wait until the top level is dry first or just go off the weight the pot? Canna suggest waiting till it's 50% of the wet weight.. 

Pot weight. Depending on pot size. 8 litre pots only need water every few days. They use more water in flower than veg. I like to let them dry out. In cold weather even inside I try to get my water as warm as I can before watering the plants. Not hot but a few degrees above room temperature.

As like most companies they will tell you to use more so you spend more. I think 50% wet is way too much to add water. My opinion only. Others may think differently.

• Upvote 1

Ok thanks for the info brick the more I have the better I will be. I was going off an older gardening tutorial, if your interested I can find the link. It shows you how to use the root ball to check to see if your plant is getting enough or not.. with watering every 3-4 days my root mass showed signs of under watering, the majority of roots were in the lower half of the pot. After changing my watering to once the pot was around 50% I noticed heaps more roots appear in the higher half of the pot.

This is what they said, from memory.. :unknw:  

Under watering: the root mass has mostly grown round the lower half of the pot. ( White Roots no smell ) 
Correctly watering: the root mass is spread evenly around the root ball - top to bottom. ( White Roots no smell )  

Over watering: Root rot - browny discolouration and smell. 

Peace  :afro:

Edited by The Jackel

I think the secret is to do what works best for the individual. To find your own happy way to grow. I never discount anything with growing plants of any description. Just put in the time and it should work out ok. Usually less is more imo.  :thumbsup:

Edited by brick

Now cana terra prof. soil mix may be different, buffered with alot of dolomite lime or something to keep the ph around 6 - in which case there probably shouldnt be an issue with Mg - they keep it lower only because Nitrogen is more bioavailable at lower ph though Magnesium is more bioavailable at 6.4-6.8. Canna probably recognises that mg deficiency is easy to remedy with a foliar feed of epsom salts (MgS) and that the ammount of buffering agents used would mean that theres a lot of magnesium and calcium in the medium for awhile anyway .... how long before you noticed the mag deficiency in that canna terra prof mix ? If you think its a cal/mag deficiency you can foliar feed them dolomite lime, but be sure to foliar spray them straight water the day afterwards. I prefer buying General hydroponics CalMag product. As i fucking said bud Cannabis prefers an alkaline medium when grown in *MOST* soil mixes with the ph of the soil medium being above 6.4 to 6.8 for maximum magnesium bio-availability. Wondering why its not uptaking Mg ? Now canna terra prof. soil mix may be different, buffered with alot of dolomite lime or something to keep the ph around 6 - in which case there probably shouldnt be an issue with Mg as dolomite lime contains calcium and magnesium. its a little troublesome using canna terra mix if you have no idea whta the constituents are, ammending the macro/micronutrients in the medium could prove difficult. If you were a nutrient company would you suggest that the customer use only small ammounts of your nutrients or more ? They have burnt tips because 2100 at that period of flowering is fucking absurd, feeding them that strength twice in a row is absurd also. they are small little plants with not much axial growth, very little vegetative matter also. Your run-off EC should not be nearly the same as what you feed them. When you test the run-off there is still bound up nutrients in the medium and how do you test the run-off - explain the process if you want. Do you water them with ph'd water ? Do you ph your water feeds ? You said it took 4months to vege, was that in the canna terra prof mix ? there are many crucial questions that should've been asked..... what vege nute strength did you reach before you flipped to flowering cycle 12/12 ?..... a plant at 4months should be much larger than that, kept in vegetative state at i presume 18/6 for 4 months must be costly.... a few fucking plants or so... you were probably better off buying a half pound. the yellowing of the lower leaves is common 'senescent' plant behavior. Questions like ... how fucking big is your grow space needs to be asked, the mixed spectrum of the lighting combined with the overall strength of the light dependant on the space of the grow area and the light spread over the plants and distance of the light to the plants is also something that could prove troublesome. Reaching more optimal uptake of N in late stages of vege in that kind of environment may prove beneficial. Magnesium can also be locked out in dry mediums, though i wouldnt imagine your medium dries out much. I'll give a few tips you can search for blueberry breeding project to see an example of one of my grows in soil. Cannabis doesnt like wet feet, a good rule of thumb when assessing the effectiveness of the frequency and volume of feeds (water/nutes) is to poke your finger down 1.5 inches into the soil medium around the edge of the pot and then grab a pinch of the dirt 1.5inches down and squeeze it under a light source to assess if its still moist (if water seeps out of the pinch of soil mix). if it is it still doesnt need to be watered just yet and you can then adjust the frequency or volume of feeds. In the wild they dont get watered everyday, though the intensity of the light source close to the plants indoors means they should be watered more often than outdoor plants (faster plant metabolism). If you feed plants a hypothetical 3litres of nutes twice in a row (outdoor plants) at the strength you feed your plants then the straight water feed could and probably should be more voluminous than the nutrient feed is. Also how much run-off do you have every time you water? I rambled on a LOT here .....Your nutrient strength can probably be so high without much burn because you have deprived the medium of all its nutritional components already if it was vegeing for 4 months in that mix; it is still too high for a plant that size though in my opinion.Right ... i read both the vege and flores bottles, you missed a few key points indicated on the bottle ... atleast early on you did .... and ... check the Calcium content, there is none (its a one part nutrient)....... Calcium and Magnesium have a unique relationship in the medium and in the plant.... If you are experiencing calcium issues which i cant say you are ..... often there will be Magnesium issues also. Calcium is used by the plant for cell division. buy some calmag if you can..... hope some of it helps, all the best bud - take it easy ... but still take it. Edited by _Puff_Tough_

_Puff_Tough_  thanks heaps for taking the time to share all the useful information with me, I feel very schooled and am happy about it... Should have just bought the fucking half instead I will have about 1 oz if I'm lucky....  I was only using 180W Mars hydro LED to veg so it shouldn't be that bad..

How do you test the run off ?

I test the ec of my tap water and note it down.. then I get that water and run it through the medium and catch the run off.. I subtract the tap water EC from my reading and bob is your uncle.. Would you suggest a different method? I just watched youtube video on how and that was the way they did it.

If you were a nutrient company would you suggest that the customer use only small ammounts of your nutrients or more ? 

I guess you have point I will make sure I always work up on strength with my next grow.. 

Do you water them with ph'd water ? 

Do you ph your water feeds ?

I Ph everything that goes into the pot feeds and water,  it was initially 5.8 - 6.0 but after the suggestions from people here I have moved unto 6.5 - 6.8 

You said it took 4months to vege, was that in the canna terra prof mix ? 

From about week 3 they have been in the canna and also through 3 pots to get to the 300mm ones but have been in the same soil.. which now you point that out seems like a fucking long time to be in little pot.. the medium would be pretty empty by now. 

what vege nute strength did you reach before you flipped to flowering cycle 12/12 ?

I never even gave it a thought I was just feeding according to the light feeding schedule canna suggested which ( didn't have an ec meter then either ). Pretty rookie when I think back. 

Also how much run-off do you have every time you water?

When I water I try to aim for about 20 - 30% I have been reading that it you run to much thought the medium you can pull out the good stuff..  I would say I have been probably over doing it a little so I might make it more like 10-20% from now on..