SolisTek HPS 2k Digital Lamp - 400W

So i was browsing the 400w hps lamps on hydroexperts.com and found this bulb for $49. Now from everything I've read, solistec are supposed to be top notch in the lighting world.

Check out the page for easy referencehttp://www.hydroexperts.com.au/horticultural-lighting/lamp/240v-hps-lamp/

Heres the thing:

There's a  Super HPS 400w bulb, which is the cheapest on there and i think is the equivalent of a growlush quality bulb at $35.....

Powerplant bulb for $60

Son-T at $59

Gavita enhanced $66

GE Lucagrow $70

And then the SolisTek HPS for only $50?

I realize that this bulb is made for digital ballast in mind and this is why i thought it was cheaper at first, as not so many people buy them? But i emailed solistec about this lamp working in mag ballasts and this is the response:

"Hi,

you can definitely use this lamp with magnetic ballast.
but you will not get the full potential of the lamp.
(it will still perform like any other HPS lamp you had before).

the only different between a lamp that designed to work with electronic ballasts compere to regular HPS for magnetic ballast is that their wires are stronger to last longer with the more powerful ballasts, so this lamp will last a bit longer then your regular HPS. "

So not full potential, but like any other hps.

Is there any reason to buy the more expencive lamps, especially the powerplant over a quality name solistec bulb?

Thanks for any help.

It is like anything you get what you pay for.

I have used the cheaper ones and they do not last, the lumes drop off pretty quick with use, i got one grow from the cheapie brand before i had to change it because you could see it wasent as good as it should of been.

For a wile i only ever used the SUN_T and swore by em.

I now use the Gavita and wont go back, i am on my 5th run with the 400w Gavita and it out dose the cheaper from new.

We all have our own choice when it comes to lighting...

Hi there Oz, could you please tell me what lighting you use , i realise you use the 400w gavita but can you please explain exactly what your ballast and light config you use are..

I am asking as i currently use a 600w solistek digital and am looking to upgrade in the near future, your expertise is truly valued and trusted..

I do only use a 1.2m tent as a flower room so heat is a slight issue..

Thanks,  wiz...

Hi there Oz, could you please tell me what lighting you use , i realise you use the 400w gavita but can you please explain exactly what your ballast and light config you use are..

I am asking as i currently use a 600w solistek digital and am looking to upgrade in the near future, your expertise is truly valued and trusted..

I do only use a 1.2m tent as a flower room so heat is a slight issue..

Thanks,  wiz...

My ballast is a cheap 400w digi from china, it dose the trick.

I to am going to up grade soon but not solistek there starting to loose there appeal for a few ppl.

I will be going Hi-Par or the Papillion running gavita bulbs just not sure as yet, they both have pretty good reps...

It is like anything you get what you pay for.

I have used the cheaper ones and they do not last, the lumes drop off pretty quick with use, i got one grow from the cheapie brand before i had to change it because you could see it wasent as good as it should of been.

For a wile i only ever used the SUN_T and swore by em.

I now use the Gavita and wont go back, i am on my 5th run with the 400w Gavita and it out dose the cheaper from new.

We all have our own choice when it comes to lighting...

EDIT: just noticed the lamp is marked down from $70 to $50, so it actually costs around the same as a 400w gavita or lucagrow

See that's the thing, solistec aren't a cheapo brand, one of the best from what I've heard, so then according to price, powerplant is a more reputable brand than solistec?

Also Ozzy,  which Phillips son-T should i be buying, the aggro or the PIA Plus?

thanks for any help.

Edited by Xanode

U can pick up a 400w http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solis-Tek-400W-HPS-2K-Digital-GrowLamp-400W-SolisTek-High-Pressure-Sodium-/262467469003?hash=item3d1c47becb:g:Xc0AAOSwmtJXUiQH

At one stage all 400w Solis Tek where recalled, so they could b part of he recalled ones i dont know and i dont know as to y they where all recalled.

Sun-T-Argo is what i use to use...