Queensland medicinal marijuana bill announced

The Queensland government has taken another step towards approving the use of medicinal cannabis, with a new bill set to establish the framework for the prescription, dispensing and administration of the drug.

The bill was announced by Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, who said she had been "moved by the stories of families with young children with epilepsy, suffering life-threatening seizures, and what they go through on a daily basis".

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/content/dam/images/g/m/m/q/1/7/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.goqgaf.png/1462840601209.jpgPremier Annastacia Palaszczuk says the medicinal marijuana bill is not a "green light for the recreational use". Photo: Rohan Thomson

Ms Palaszczuk said the government had worked with Victoria and New South Wales in drafting the legislation.

But she stressed it was not "a green light for the recreational use of cannabis, nor for people to grow their own cannabis, even if for therapeutic use".

"To manage medicinal cannabis use in future, particularly if patient demand for this type of treatment increases, a more specific, transparent and robust regulatory framework is required," he said.Health Minister Cameron Dick said it would help set out the path for doctors to prescribe the drug, outside "Australia's first medically supervised prescription and use of medicinal cannabis", which was approved by Queensland last week.

"The new legislation will provide that framework.

"It will allow the use of medicinal cannabis products in Queensland, provided they are based on medical evidence and supported by clinical treatment plans."

The legislation, which will be sent to committee for review, will be introduced later on Tuesday.

The bill is likely to receive support from the Katter Party MPs, who are looking at the forthcoming approval of medicinal cannabis as a new potential crop opportunity for north Queensland farmers.

The move comes a day after the death of Queensland girl Rumer Rose, whose father was convicted after using cannabis oil to treat her cancer symptoms.

"But she stressed it was not "a green light for the recreational use of cannabis, nor for people to grow their own cannabis, even if for therapeutic use".

Oops too late, there are plenty of people growing despite the laws and majority are good citizens without any criminal history with stable jobs providing for their families and taxes for the state. At least I have experienced the truth about cannabis through growing my own and despite the laws have had my Colorado  experience that nobody can take away from me.

• Upvote 4

Well said LGG.

I'm trying to find it slightly amusing that this has come hot on the heels of QLD's recent decision to look at classifying canna in the same class as smack and ice etc.  I'm really struggling to believe that the 2 announcements are not related, or am I just being cynical in believing that maybe they are looking to go extra hard on protecting the commercial interests set to gain from this medicinal canna bill????

I'd say I'm glad I'm not in QLD, but I'm under no illusions about whether or not NSW is likely to do something similar, and am worried it's going to get worse for us all on the legal front.  But I'll keep on growing my own at least until I know that the next bust will send me to jail, not so sure after that.

• Upvote 1

Are they that sickeningly greedy?  Are these 'managers' our friends?  They have sold themselves to even to the point of denying the truth. 

Faith :sun:

Yes, I'm afraid they are Faith.  Wealth is power, and democracy is merely a smokescreen put in place to obfuscate the merry go round of wealth using it's power to centralise and increase wealth, and that extra wealth has to get sucked from somewhere.  Those who chase power, are friends to the wealth that gets them that power, not those who they claim to represent.  I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories, but unfortunately that is fact and not a conspiracy theory.

• Upvote 1

I had a phone call from my union last night. Apparently i am in a marginal seat held by only a few thousand votes. I am sure there are more of these seats around.

I am not overly familiar with the workings of preferences etc. But if we could have a few like minded people in these seats surely the politicians will listen?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

"Medical Cannabis Products". Key word being "products". Has anyone heard if the Queensland program will be for actual flowers, or is it going to be a manufactured "product"?

As the states can only work within the framework of the Federal legislation it cannot be any raw canna product, and I would in fact guess that when the wording is translated from legalese it will basically say pharma products only, but I'm not a lawyer.  But even the wording in the QLD legislation basically points at pharma only, something about trialled and proven products only without looking through it again.

I had a phone call from my union last night. Apparently i am in a marginal seat held by only a few thousand votes. I am sure there are more of these seats around.

I am not overly familiar with the workings of preferences etc. But if we could have a few like minded people in these seats surely the politicians will listen?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Won't make any difference, there's an agenda behind the scenes driven by big money, as usual.

• Upvote 2

Won't make any difference, there's an agenda behind the scenes driven by big money, as usual.

You are right... But hey if the biggest "big business" driven economy can have some of its states legalise mj, then there should be some hope for us.

Clearly it will require some type of earn $$ for the government.

What are the chances any of the current batch of politicians admitting to currently enjoying mj??