Cannabinoid properties and their vaping temps

FullCircle

Question

I've been experimenting with various temperatures on my vaporiser recently, and observing the different effects that one strain can produce.

It's quite interesting, and some of the information I've come across will probably be of help to others too, so I figured I'd share here. I'm pretty interested in this subject so will likely add to the thread when I find interesting things.

Below are the boiling points (what you need to set your vape to) for the major phytocannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids, along with the main properties for each. If you have a vape with a temp control, you can dial it in to meet your needs. 

This comes from various reliable sources, links at the bottom :)

Phytocannabinoids

Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - 157°C
  • Euphoriant (produces feelings of happiness and relaxation)
  • Anti-proliferative (inhibits cancer cell growth)
  • Analgesic (relieves pain)
  • Antiinflammatory (relieves inflammation)
  • Antioxidant (prevents the damage of oxidation to other molecules in the body)
  • Antiemetic (reduces vomiting and nausea)
  • Anxiolitic (reduces anxiety)
  • Appetite stimulant

Cannabidiol (CBD) - 180°C
  • Anxiolytic
  • Sedative
  • Neuroprotective (slows damage to the nervous system and brain)
  • Antibacterial
  • Antidepressant
  • Anti-diabetic (lowers blood sugar levels)
  • Anti-emetic
  • Analgesic
  • Antiinflammatory
  • Antioxidant
  • Antispasmodic (suppresses muscle cramps and spasms)
  • Antiepileptic (reduces seizures and convulsions)
  • Antiischemic (reduces the risk of artery blockage)
  • Antipsioratic (treats psoriasis)
  • Antipsychotic (Tranquilizing effects relieve symptoms of psychosis, two terpenoids also help - linalool and limonene)
  • Bone stimulant (Promotes bone growth by stimulating osteocytes)
  • Immunosuppresant (reduces function in the immune system - can assist with various immune system diseases)
  • Intestinal antiprokinetic (CBD is the only cannabinoid identified that reduces small intestine contractions)
  • Vasorelaxant (reduces vascular tension)

Δ8-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ8-THC): 175-178°C
Resembles Δ9-THC, Less psychoactive, 
  • Antiemetic
  • Less psychoactive than Δ9-THC

Cannabinol (CBN): 185°C
CBN is an oxidation product of THC. It normally forms when THC is exposed to oxygen and heat. A high level of CBN often reflects cannabis that is old or has been exposed to significant heat.
  • Analgesic
  • Very slightly psychoactive
  • Sedative (CBN is more strongly sedative than other known cannabinoids)
  • Antibacterial 
  • Antiemetic
  • Anticonvulsant
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Mild Appetite stimulant
  • Bone Stimulant 
Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV):  < 220°C
  • Analgesic
  • Anorectic (reduces appetite)
  • Anti-emetic
  • Anti-epileptic
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Bone stimulant
  • Euphoriant

Cannabichromene (CBC): 220°C
  • Analgesic
  • Antidepressant
  • Antifungal (inhibits the growth of fungus)
  • Anxiolitic
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Antibiotic
  • Bone stimulant 
  • Neurogenesis (promotes the growth of new brain cells)

..............to be continued, will finish working on this later :)

• Upvote 2

I've always do "step-bonging" as well by varying the distance my heat sources( hempthread, lighter, matchstick etc) to the bowl  cone. One of the pleasures of cannabis besides the high. is to enjoy the flavors as well. Seriously, I wouldn't be too concern about destroying the precious THC, unless I'm making concentrates or edibles.

Mate, if you need to go thru the extreme measures and laser thermometer to get high, time to get some real potent greens.

0.25g of some fine strains give me a good flight, anything more might drop my bong and see things swirling around me. :)

This might be a bit off topic. But u was thinking of putting the vaped material in the magic butter.

So if i limit the vape temp to 190 then i should be make some potent butter ??

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yes, you can use the vaped material to make butter, it does work :)

Good info but don't forget there is a max temp as well so at 157 the THCA converts to THC (boils) but at a higher temp it is destroyed.Same with other cannabinoids. I tend to vaporize at 185 as this is close to the destruction temp for THC and is just at the lower end of CBD/CBN

I agree 185 is bang on the money..I've had a digital volcano for 10 years and never go past 185. And like you said you can still cook with the leftovers or even smoke them( my mate does this).

As a side note , for those who don't know cannabis combusts at 200 degC . So if you are running your vape at 200 or more , you are just smoking it , which is kind of not the point with vaporising ( and turns your vape into a very expensive pipe lol ) but each to their own lol.

Great topic and info on this thread .. Top job.

:bongon:

Wiet

Edited by wietlover

I agree 185 is bang on the money..I've had a digital volcano for 10 years and never go past 185. And like you said you can still cook with the leftovers or even smoke them( my mate does this).

As a side note , for those who don't know cannabis combusts at 200 degC . So if you are running your vape at 200 or more , you are just smoking it , which is kind of not the point with vaporising ( and turns your vape into a very expensive pipe lol ) but each to their own lol.

Great topic and info on this thread .. Top job.

:bongon:

Wiet

It CAN combust from 200c, but if you're careful it doesn't need to. My vaped material is never darker than medium brown, and I go over 200, but carefully :)

Can concurs with the 2 step approach. Recently bought a vapexhale and have the first hit at medium at 12oclock on the dial and that gives me a euphoric high with full flavour, great for when I get home from work and still need to do things. Then after dinner I turn it up a tad and it gives me the relaxed high. I have hit it for a third time at slightly higher temp but it tastes like popcorn and gives me a mild headache so I don't bother anymore.

Very interesting thread. I have a Crafty, Mighty’s little brother.... I usually start the afternoon/evening at 180C, and then boost to 200C before bed. I also usually add 4 or 5 drops of CBD vape juice to the dry herb. Lately I have been adding Vegetable Glycerin, and then vaping my CBD vape juice in my other pen style 510 cartridge vaporizer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1