Cannabinoid properties and their vaping temps

FullCircle

Question

I've been experimenting with various temperatures on my vaporiser recently, and observing the different effects that one strain can produce.

It's quite interesting, and some of the information I've come across will probably be of help to others too, so I figured I'd share here. I'm pretty interested in this subject so will likely add to the thread when I find interesting things.

Below are the boiling points (what you need to set your vape to) for the major phytocannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids, along with the main properties for each. If you have a vape with a temp control, you can dial it in to meet your needs. 

This comes from various reliable sources, links at the bottom :)

Phytocannabinoids

Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - 157°C
  • Euphoriant (produces feelings of happiness and relaxation)
  • Anti-proliferative (inhibits cancer cell growth)
  • Analgesic (relieves pain)
  • Antiinflammatory (relieves inflammation)
  • Antioxidant (prevents the damage of oxidation to other molecules in the body)
  • Antiemetic (reduces vomiting and nausea)
  • Anxiolitic (reduces anxiety)
  • Appetite stimulant

Cannabidiol (CBD) - 180°C
  • Anxiolytic
  • Sedative
  • Neuroprotective (slows damage to the nervous system and brain)
  • Antibacterial
  • Antidepressant
  • Anti-diabetic (lowers blood sugar levels)
  • Anti-emetic
  • Analgesic
  • Antiinflammatory
  • Antioxidant
  • Antispasmodic (suppresses muscle cramps and spasms)
  • Antiepileptic (reduces seizures and convulsions)
  • Antiischemic (reduces the risk of artery blockage)
  • Antipsioratic (treats psoriasis)
  • Antipsychotic (Tranquilizing effects relieve symptoms of psychosis, two terpenoids also help - linalool and limonene)
  • Bone stimulant (Promotes bone growth by stimulating osteocytes)
  • Immunosuppresant (reduces function in the immune system - can assist with various immune system diseases)
  • Intestinal antiprokinetic (CBD is the only cannabinoid identified that reduces small intestine contractions)
  • Vasorelaxant (reduces vascular tension)

Δ8-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ8-THC): 175-178°C
Resembles Δ9-THC, Less psychoactive, 
  • Antiemetic
  • Less psychoactive than Δ9-THC

Cannabinol (CBN): 185°C
CBN is an oxidation product of THC. It normally forms when THC is exposed to oxygen and heat. A high level of CBN often reflects cannabis that is old or has been exposed to significant heat.
  • Analgesic
  • Very slightly psychoactive
  • Sedative (CBN is more strongly sedative than other known cannabinoids)
  • Antibacterial 
  • Antiemetic
  • Anticonvulsant
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Mild Appetite stimulant
  • Bone Stimulant 
Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV):  < 220°C
  • Analgesic
  • Anorectic (reduces appetite)
  • Anti-emetic
  • Anti-epileptic
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Bone stimulant
  • Euphoriant

Cannabichromene (CBC): 220°C
  • Analgesic
  • Antidepressant
  • Antifungal (inhibits the growth of fungus)
  • Anxiolitic
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Antibiotic
  • Bone stimulant 
  • Neurogenesis (promotes the growth of new brain cells)

..............to be continued, will finish working on this later :)

• Upvote 2

Thank you... going off that... If you vaped at 160c... till the thc is pretty much gone... could you then vape at 180 or the 220 for the others minus the thc? So if someone needed it but didnt like getting high... tthey could use it still?
  • Upvote 1

Good info but don't forget there is a max temp as well so at 157 the THCA converts to THC (boils) but at a higher temp it is destroyed.

Same with other cannabinoids. I tend to vaporize at 185 as this is close to the destruction temp for THC and is just at the lower end of CBD/CBN

then use the resulting leftovers in my cooking (as this give mostly the sedation effects from the still remaining cannabinoids).

BUT something else to consider.

As we all know THCA is only found in the tricomes (as it is the plants defence against UV light)and these are all over the head NOT just out in the open on the outside. So if you put a head in a stove and take it to the required temp you will convert the outer tricomes but the inner ones (you know those ones hidden in that nice compact head you have just grown)are still, for a better word, frozen. That is why the time it take to Decarboxylase a sample can be different each time for each strain and head type, as it has to be in long enough for ALL the THC to convert or for the inner tricomes to reach the same temp.

That's why I always grind before placing on tray for oven to get a thin layer with greater surface area and I can Decarboxylase with shorter times.

Also the age of the sample comes into effect as you stated above over time the THCA (Plant produced before heat applied) will convert to CBN NOT CBD. This may be good for what you want as is more sedative than CBD.

Ages ago I did a little research when making Tinctures for a friend and kept data in a Excel spread sheet so have included it as it has more information inside.

Just rambling but hope it helps

Tincture.zip

Thank you... going off that... If you vaped at 160c... till the thc is pretty much gone... could you then vape at 180 or the 220 for the others minus the thc? So if someone needed it but didnt like getting high... tthey could use it still?

Yep, you can. I get at least 2 vapes from my stuff. You can also vape it low then smoke the vaped material.

The second time around I re-vape at 200+ and get a good body stone.

I find it still gives a head high on the second time around at higher heat, but not as much as at the lower heat.

Edited by FullCircle
  • Upvote 1

Very useful table!

Usually I like to "step-vape", i.e. started at 130°C to vaporise the flavour terpenes , 157°C for THC and finishing in 200s°C to utilise the full goodness of the Herb.

Taste-wise, I prefer <160°C, higher than that, I get lots of roasted flavours.

I do this too! I like starting off around 175 for a bit, get the delicious flavours, and then as I break up the material a bit (I put whole pieces of bud in), I gradually crank it up. Using this method, a bowl on my vape will last me about an hour. :)
  • Upvote 1

Yes , unfortunately, that's true most of the THC is destroyed if you use a flame to light it.

Lets say you use a match. You strike the box and the match bursts into flame, at this stage you have the burning temp of Sulphur as the match head ignites the timber of the match this is roughly 230 deg C although this seems a bit extreme the Ignition temp of various woods are ranged from 190°-260°. Then the initial burst dies off and the timber burns producing the flame we use to light the cone of goodness.

Most organic timbers burn at the same "Rough" temp (depends on wood type and moisture content) but lets look and match timber. This burns at 600°-800°c.

As we now know that is way to hot for the Best results, in fact what your doing is burning the top layer (THC Destroyed) then sucking the hot air from the glowing matter formed from the destruction of the first layer. So in reality the first drag on your bong burns the top layer and then you Vaporize the THC from the rest with the hot airflow (there's that hit you were after) and if you packed it for more than 1 hit the rest that you smoke is in fact just a little CBD/CBN and the smoke off the destruction of the rest of the contents.

I wont even mention the temperatures achieved by using a Lighter.

[something to think about with a joint... Ignition, blow out flame then let smoulder like a cigarette (510°-621°). Cooler than a match but still...]

So what can we do if we don't own a vape..........

Well here is what I do (not saying its right)

1) pack bong with enough goodness that its ALL gone from one hit.

2) Light my Hemplight from my tea-light candle sitting on the table.

3) After initial burst of flame let it settle then wave the flame over the top of the cone at a distance far enough away that I get the barest waver in the flame as it passes the suction. This give me a good hit of flavour (love a good flavour) and the THC from the top layer of tricomes exposed.

4) Now place the flame close enough to the "material" that it starts to blacken as you suck but not catch fire. My own measurements with a laser temp meter tells me this is about 150 to 230 deg. Then just as I reach the end of my lung capacity flame to the material and destroy what's left.

5) Have huge coughing fit that wakes the neibours and makes me wish for death.

6) Enjoy

7) repeat step 1

Rambling again sorry

Hemplight : http://www.ozbongs.com.au/Hemplight-Toker-Poker/ (Remember they are a sponsor)

Temp ranges : http://www.tcforensic.com.au/docs/article10.html

• Upvote 1