Ye Gads - I'm washing my buds!

Hey Stoners,

So, I've smoked for decades, dabbled in growing back in the 90's and started seriously growing 3 years ago.  In all my time I've never come across the idea of washing your buds after harvest.

That changed the other night when I discovered a 1393 page long thread at 420mag forum on the topic!!  Here if anyone's game...  https://www.420magazine.com/forums/harvest-preparation-and-curing/200881-bud-washing-11.html 

As you can see from the link, I got up to page 11 before giving it a go, now I'm a bud-washer for life!

Anyway, I'm pretty busy at present so detail will be sketchy.  But wanted to put it up in the hopes it may inspire other outdoor growers to try before harvest is finished!

For those not familiar with my diary, I have had a few problems with my plants this year, caterpillars and veggie flea beetle.  Just starting to see a second wave of caterpillars now.  They've been sprayed with dipel and some sprayed with soapy garlic chilli spray.

In addition, my plants are contstantly bathed in Mallee dust, as well as being subject to several large dust storms per season.

So, can't remember how I came across it, but I've got a plenty of filthy bud at my disposal so decided to give it a try.  

Long story short, after seeing the wash and rinse water, suffice to say I will wash everything in future.

So far I've tried a few different variations...  H2O2, lemon/bicarb, fruit & veggie wash   for the wash water,  and hot and cold variations for rinse water.

And yes, I am definitely losing trichs... but for personal smoko I'd rather have slightly less potent but clean buds I think :)

Following pics taken after washing an estimated 6 or 7 oz (dry weight) of bud.  

This wash:

1st bucket    1 cup lemon juice / 1 cup bicarb soda;

2nd bucket   cold (tap temp) water

3rd bucket    cold (tap temp) water

First pic is all three buckets straight after the wash. med_gallery_51352_1591_789639.jpg

Close up of wash bucket - note little black dots - they are veggie flea beetles, 2nd pic shows sediment at the bottom.

med_gallery_51352_1591_373246.jpg  med_gallery_51352_1591_114963.jpg

Close up of 1st rinse bucket, 2nd pic shows the sediment at the bottom 

med_gallery_51352_1591_284566.jpg  med_gallery_51352_1591_396308.jpg

And lastly a pic of freshly washed bud - SSS Walter White med_gallery_51352_1591_380539.jpg

Keep 'em green, wash 'em clean lol lol

:bongon:

• Upvote 7

Good one Ange! I washed some buds recently myself, due to a situation regarding; powdery mildew, humid weather and lazy curing.

I just used plain water and the buds were dry when I washed them. Looking through the loupe, I do not think a measurable amount of trichomes was lost. But all traces of powery mildew were gone after two soaks.

The quality of stonage remained, but they lost much of the water soluble aspects, including both yucky chlorophyll and all the lovely turpines. There were two very different strains that were soaked, but are now indistinguishable from each other and resemble the brown looking buried buds we used to see in the 90's.

Your situation is quite different to mine and i really do understand that for you, washing your buds must be a very important job, particularly if they are being covered in all that bull dust and nasty little critters.

all the best, awaiting a smoke report fom you now :)

Good one Ange! I washed some buds recently myself, due to a situation regarding; powdery mildew, humid weather and lazy curing.

I just used plain water and the buds were dry when I washed them. Looking through the loupe, I do not think a measurable amount of trichomes was lost. But all traces of powery mildew were gone after two soaks.

The quality of stonage remained, but they lost much of the water soluble aspects, including both yucky chlorophyll and all the lovely turpines. There were two very different strains that were soaked, but are now indistinguishable from each other and resemble the brown looking buried buds we used to see in the 90's.

Your situation is quite different to mine and i really do understand that for you, washing your buds must be a very important job, particularly if they are being covered in all that bull dust and nasty little critters.

all the best, awaiting a smoke report fom you now :)

:thumbsup: Hey Ford, you didn't share with us!  Jorge's video on H2O2 washing to remove powdery mildew was the first thing I came across in regards to bud washing.

Sorry you lost all those terpenes though.  The first wash I did was on the Green Python and I can still smell it strong as it is curing... I've done a control branch of both the Blueberry and Green Python that went un-washed so I can assess the difference in those aspects as well.  

I should point out also that I am not soaking, I gently agitate the branches in the first bucket for maybe 20 seconds, even less in the subsequent rinsing buckets.

Many testimonials say that the bud washing makes the smoke smoother and most say that smells aren't lost.

Will definitely come back with my smoke report eventually lol

Wow just a little bit of Mallee dust

def a good idea , great tip Ange

:wave: hey stranger!   :)

Edited by crowsange
  • Upvote 2

Hey Stoners,

So, I've smoked for decades, dabbled in growing back in the 90's and started seriously growing 3 years ago.  In all my time I've never come across the idea of washing your buds after harvest.

That changed the other night when I discovered a 1393 page long thread at 420mag forum on the topic!!  Here if anyone's game...  https://www.420magazine.com/forums/harvest-preparation-and-curing/200881-bud-washing-11.html 

As you can see from the link, I got up to page 11 before giving it a go, now I'm a bud-washer for life!

Anyway, I'm pretty busy at present so detail will be sketchy.  But wanted to put it up in the hopes it may inspire other outdoor growers to try before harvest is finished!

For those not familiar with my diary, I have had a few problems with my plants this year, caterpillars and veggie flea beetle.  Just starting to see a second wave of caterpillars now.  They've been sprayed with dipel and some sprayed with soapy garlic chilli spray.

In addition, my plants are contstantly bathed in Mallee dust, as well as being subject to several large dust storms per season.

So, can't remember how I came across it, but I've got a plenty of filthy bud at my disposal so decided to give it a try.  

Long story short, after seeing the wash and rinse water, suffice to say I will wash everything in future.

So far I've tried a few different variations...  H2O2, lemon/bicarb, fruit & veggie wash   for the wash water,  and hot and cold variations for rinse water.

And yes, I am definitely losing trichs... but for personal smoko I'd rather have slightly less potent but clean buds I think :)

Following pics taken after washing an estimated 6 or 7 oz (dry weight) of bud.  

This wash:

1st bucket    1 cup lemon juice / 1 cup bicarb soda;

2nd bucket   cold (tap temp) water

3rd bucket    cold (tap temp) water

First pic is all three buckets straight after the wash. med_gallery_51352_1591_789639.jpg

Close up of wash bucket - note little black dots - they are veggie flea beetles, 2nd pic shows sediment at the bottom.

med_gallery_51352_1591_373246.jpg  med_gallery_51352_1591_114963.jpg

Close up of 1st rinse bucket, 2nd pic shows the sediment at the bottom 

med_gallery_51352_1591_284566.jpg  med_gallery_51352_1591_396308.jpg

And lastly a pic of freshly washed bud - SSS Walter White med_gallery_51352_1591_380539.jpg

Keep 'em green, wash 'em clean lol lol

:bongon:

Dear Comfortably Numb: Just asked this question on another thread. Had a look afterward for threads on this topic and found yours. Kind of putting the cart before the horse but nobody ever accused me of being the smartest guy in the room. Anyway, glad to hear somebody else does this. Like you I came across the thread on 420 mag and was surprised at the polarized views on the subject. Felt it was worth a go and started off with warm bicarb then lemon juice baths followed by warm water rinse. Didn't notice any discernable drop in potency but did notice a significant improvement in smoothness. Was surprised how much gunk came off the buds in the wash. My grows are always indoor so less dust but still more than I thought. Just wanted to pitch in on the side of washing. After the first time I was so impressed I made it part of the regular cycle. Never had reason to regret that decision. Still works the same and much smoother. Seems to work better in the vape too. More even cooking?