Craigslist

I to remember those prices in the 80's.

That is when the words hydro and skunk started to come about in Au and those 2 words tougher ppl where name there own price and getting it.

1st ounce of skunk i seen was $400, was a big jump from paying 150-200 an oz for out doors...

The problem in the market atm is that the Vietnamese illegals are the one's growing the crappy weed and the so called "bikies" have moved on to harder drugs with bigger profit margins with quicker turn around times.  Also depends where you live and unfortunately good growers get busted once word of mouth spreads. Growers buyers are better off using the darkweb marketplace compared to craiglist for quality, service and safety.

Edited by lookinggoodguys

You guys complaining that 390 an oz for non PGR shite weed is a rip off must be young, and not thinking it through.  I know it's cheaper in Melbourne, Sydney etc, but if it's decent properly grown stuff compared to that Vietnamese PGR crap an extra $100 or so an oz is worth every penny if you have to buy, and where  I am that shite is $350/oz, so an extra 40 is nothing. 

Further to that is that back in the late 80's $350-400/oz was standard for anything worth smoking, and I remember a particularly nasty drought in Sydney when it hit $650.  So if you factor in inflation since then, $350 is really sweet fuck all.  Problem is that the reason prices have fallen so much is the way the commercial growers are producing their product which makes it virtually worthless.

Depends where you come from man, I am not young, 44 and smoking for almost 30 years.. Only one time in my life did weed ever get near $400 and that was in the early 90'swhen the old leaf season was still around... In my opinion someone is getting ripped off at $390 but like i said, Still better than the shit on the market a any price.. I have heard about crazy prices in Sydney , That doesn't happen in Brisbane, at least i have never seen it. 350 is about top dollar and i think if you cant make money selling bags for $350 then you just paying way too much for a pound.

Edited by Stiritup420

Depends where you come from man, I am not young, 44 and smoking for almost 30 years.. Only one time in my life did weed ever get near $400 and that was in the early 90'swhen the old leaf season was still around... In my opinion someone is getting ripped off at $390 but like i said, Still better than the shit on the market a any price.. I have heard about crazy prices in Sydney , That doesn't happen in Brisbane, at least i have never seen it. 350 is about top dollar and i think if you cant make money selling bags for $350 then you just paying way too much for a pound.

The issue isn't so much that it cost more in the late 80's early 90's, but that when you factor in inflation over the last 25-30 years to put it into context, then the effective price drop is massive, a lot of products and services are 4 times more expensive now or more.  Another way of looking at it is that an oz of decent bud at one point was pretty much the same value as an oz of gold.

It's also true that a lot of weed was cheaper back then than $350, a lot of that shitty leafy and often seedy Mafia vineyard shit, and decidedly average bush weed was about $200, and possibly less in the city, but even that would be a lot more than $350 in today's money.

I don't think the crazy Sydney prices happen anymore, due to more consistent supply, but that drought was 1987 give or take from memory, and it was a bad one.  At least the $650 stuff was good shit though.

Saddest thing for my mind is that out in rural areas where I live there used to be reasonably reliable supply of decent bush weed back in the day, not top shelf bud to be sure, but consistently decent and better than the modern commercial shite, that stuff is just about impossible to get out here anymore.

Bikies still sell a bit of weed, but the worry is that the Viet gangs are using canna profits to push really hard to crack the meth market as well.  I'm waiting to see war between bikies and Viets, could get nasty.

yeah i understand in rural areas the price might be high. Im guessing it all comes down to who you know.. The way things are at the moment you are probably doing ok paying any price as long as it good.

That is why i have to grow it, Doesn't matter that i am in a unit with paper thin walls.  Growing saves me up to  $150 a week not buying junk weed from idiots, so i make money without selling any its wonderful knowing you don't have to fist around trying to score only to be constantly disappointed with super low quality.  I agree the quality of bush weed in the late 80's to early 90's was pretty good and yes, i remember it was the same price as gold for a long time. Not as much of it but consistent..  They say weed is much more powerful now days but i really don't know about that. Strains now may have more THC but the average weed being sold today in Australia is far less potent than the mango, Thai buddha or the compressed heads i used to get over 20 years ago

• Upvote 1

You guys complaining that 390 an oz for non PGR shite weed is a rip off must be young, and not thinking it through.  I know it's cheaper in Melbourne, Sydney etc, but if it's decent properly grown stuff compared to that Vietnamese PGR crap an extra $100 or so an oz is worth every penny if you have to buy, and where  I am that shite is $350/oz, so an extra 40 is nothing. 

Further to that is that back in the late 80's $350-400/oz was standard for anything worth smoking, and I remember a particularly nasty drought in Sydney when it hit $650.  So if you factor in inflation since then, $350 is really sweet fuck all.  Problem is that the reason prices have fallen so much is the way the commercial growers are producing their product which makes it virtually worthless.

As for Craigslist, or any internet offers, dodgy fuckers looking to rip people looking for weed off is nothing new, but the internet has made their job much easier and opened up a wider audience.  I got ripped off twice back in the 80's (once during that drought), and both times were street dealers who refused to let me look and sniff before handing over cash, and that's a clear sign that still hasn't changed.  If you can't inspect the goods, don't part with cash, unless you've built up a trusting relationship with the seller, end of story regardless of method of contact.  The Silk Road was working reasonably well for a while due to the escrow holding setup, but even that was open to abuse and a few people ended up getting ripped off, so why risk something with absolutely no safeguards?

i just havnt bought or sold any weed for a long time, i guess im out of touch. i have seen that asian crap though and do agree it is worth paying extra to avoid that shit. i find it hard to believe anybody would buy that shit let alone pay 300 an oz for it. but then again young kids these days probably see that shit from day one and have never even seen a big fluffy uncompressed sticky bud fresh from the jar. i know when i was young that was already getting to be the case, dense shitty hydro that tasted like crap was the norm and back then was actually sought after. everybody wanted the hydro! it wasnt until i started scoring off of some old hippies who grew an old skunk no1 that i discovered what good weed was and started growing my own.

• Upvote 1

yeah i understand in rural areas the price might be high. Im guessing it all comes down to who you know.. The way things are at the moment you are probably doing ok paying any price as long as it good.

That is why i have to grow it, Doesn't matter that i am in a unit with paper thin walls.  Growing saves me up to  $150 a week not buying junk weed from idiots, so i make money without selling any its wonderful knowing you don't have to fist around trying to score only to be constantly disappointed with super low quality.  I agree the quality of bush weed in the late 80's to early 90's was pretty good and yes, i remember it was the same price as gold for a long time. Not as much of it but consistent..  They say weed is much more powerful now days but i really don't know about that. Strains now may have more THC but the average weed being sold today in Australia is far less potent than the mango, Thai buddha or the compressed heads i used to get over 20 years ago

i remember the mango. i grew up on the sunny coast and that mango was prolific, it was everywhere and soooo good. once i moved to NSW i was driving up and down from QLD bringing back pounds of the mango.

• Upvote 1

Yep, that's the downside of modern commercial weed, it means that grow your own is the only way to get anything worth smoking.  That's fine for us, but sux for those who can't or won't grow, and has created a generation of people growing up believing that chemical smelling rock hard nugs that taste like shit, give a quick rushy stone, and leave you feeling a bit sick, is the good shit.  Still remember one of my kids dribbling the mantra "nothin but hyge for me", but I showed him the error of his ways.

Haven't bought anything for ages, but last I heard was 350/oz locally for hydro, and the bud I looked at a few weeks back looked disgusting.

Never knowingly had the Mango, but I would agree that some of the top shelf imports I had back in the day are as good as anything I've had since, and far stronger than the modern commercial stuff.  Still remember the 1st time I had Thai Buddha, 2 cones had me completely fucked up for 6 hrs, shouldn't have done that at work :doh:.  The claims that modern weed is stronger is merely propaganda used by the anti canna douche's as far as I'm concerned.

Best advice I can give the OP is risk buying some seeds from overseas instead, and invest your hard earned cash into a grow setup instead of getting ripped off online.  Might take 4 months to get some bud, but at least you'll get it, and it will be worth it.

• Upvote 1