Question

Hi everyone,

My partner has been diagnosed with terminal skin cancer and I want to procure some Rick Simpson Oil. It seems the only way to do this is to make it yourself. I'm keen to speak with anyone who's had any experience making the stuff - I'm nervous about doing it myself for numerous reasons. I've read the threads on this site that talk about it, but I have other questions:

1) Regarding ventilation...what's proper? I have a bathroom with fan and a large window - is that OK? (I don't really have access to an open space that wouldn't raise suspicions.)

2) The exact solvent to use -

http://www.jaycar.com.au/p/NA1066#1

Is this OK?

Other questions, too!

Thanks for any help.

Hey Jagged,

Didn't really want to answer as I have never used ethanol, so I wouldn't know. Iso I know, used it many times, but not ethanol. I do know that some solvents have allsorts of additives in them, many additives are there to deter the illegal use, like the purple dye in metho. Also some chemicals are considered 'safe' but add a flame/heat and the chemical structures change making the ummm... ..."not safe". Be that poisonous, volatile or straight out explosive.

Now by law, each chemical has to have a Chemical Data Sheet and often these will state the risks with each chemical. Personally I'd be doing some serious investigation about ANY solvent you plan on using. This stuff can go BANG if not handled with great care.

Merl1n

Ethanol is drinking alcohol. $40 for 3 litres is fantastic at 180 proof +   :D You will be very lucky if you can get it.

200 proof is 100% alcohol 

If you can obtain or make it at extremely high concentrations, it would be a very good solvent.

Problem is, the percentage that isn't alcohol is mostly water.

The same safety procedures as using iso would apply if you used it to make oil

You are better off leaving ethanol to make tinctures :)

The higher the % of alcohol, the faster you could produce usable tinctures

Edited by Train Wreck
  • Upvote 2

Hey Goodstuff,

Now, as for tinctures, here's a link to what I did https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/45016-op-rum-tincture/?do=findComment&comment=332025

You state that you and alcohol don't mix and I understand that (from experience). But as it states in the OP rum tincture post "Now the alcohol evaporates at 75C. So using a candy thermometer I kept it below 75." If you raise the temp above 75 all of the alcohol will be gone

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Thanks Merl1n,

No, I'm not so bad with alcohol...it's marijuana that I'm hypersensitive to!

Cheers,

GS

Yea, it's irrelevant

You don't make oil from the seeds, you make it from what grows from the seeds. Its more the chemicals added to the exterior of the plant or during the growing process.

Merl1n

Just wondering about a couple of things:

1) When you buy weed on the market, is it normally sold as bud or what?

2) Rick Simpson says you need to buy bud. Is this true?

Sad to hear mate. Hope the herb can ease things a bit.

If she wants to eat it I'd try out the magical butter machine. Can't speak from experience but it looks fool proof. It dose a few different styles of infusions including oil. Probably comes with a recipie book I'd say.

Here's the link

https://magicalbutter.com/

There's no need for ISO or any other solvents to make canna oil. You can put oil in a pan heat it up then add your chopped up bud in the oil and let it infuse for a while then strain out the bud and you've got cannabis oil. Google how to make cannabis oil it's to easy.

Or you could save yourself all the hassle and just cook the bud in a cookie mixture. Chop it up finely, add to your favourite cookie mix and bake.

Most of the bud you buy off the street is full of PGR's (Plant Growth Regulators) which may be carcinogenic. The PGR's also prevent resin production so would not be any good for making oil. Better to grow your own, even if you only veg them 4 weeks and have more plants if you need it quicker.

• Upvote 1