Question

Hi everyone,

My partner has been diagnosed with terminal skin cancer and I want to procure some Rick Simpson Oil. It seems the only way to do this is to make it yourself. I'm keen to speak with anyone who's had any experience making the stuff - I'm nervous about doing it myself for numerous reasons. I've read the threads on this site that talk about it, but I have other questions:

1) Regarding ventilation...what's proper? I have a bathroom with fan and a large window - is that OK? (I don't really have access to an open space that wouldn't raise suspicions.)

2) The exact solvent to use -

http://www.jaycar.com.au/p/NA1066#1

Is this OK?

Other questions, too!

Thanks for any help.

Never use naphtha it not nice stuff.

Any extraction can be bad if not purged rite with what can be left behind.

Most back yarders dont take the steps to fully purge there oil because they just out for a good smoke and dont care if any solvents are left behind or are out to rip ppl off, but not every one is like this.

I use ISO and butane for my extractions, and i use a vac chamber to purge, fully purged oil is safe.

But you dont need all the fancy toys for ISO extraction, as pointed out in this thread so far.

• Upvote 3

Hey Gumby,

Here's a bit of info regarding evaporation. Pure iso evaporates at around 80 degrees C. when you heat it the temp will not raise above 80 until all of the iso has gone. For example if you have a water and iso mix and heat it the mix will stay at 80 then once the iso has evaporated the temp will then raise to 100 (the boiling temp of water) until all of the water is gone, then the temp will raise further. It is recommended that when you evaporate the iso that you then add a tspoon of water towards the end of the process, this will allow any impurities to also be evaporated that have a boiling temp of between 80 to 100 degrees C.

My 'oil', after doing this process sets solid, like toffee and needs to be melted to use. I had an idea that if I didn't evaporate all of the iso it would stay more like an oil BUT inhaling iso is a big NO, NO. The lungs and pure alcohol is not a good mix at all. I got a lung full in the evap process, made me choke/spew, fucking awful, I can tell ya lol and from all reports its much better and healthier to fully evap. I have found that it seems to be the impurities that keep the iso mix as an oil, remove all the impurities possible and it sets like a candy. And the resulting smoke is much, much cleaner.

Hey Goodstuff,

Now, as for tinctures, here's a link to what I did https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/45016-op-rum-tincture/?do=findComment&comment=332025

You state that you and alcohol don't mix and I understand that (from experience). But as it states in the OP rum tincture post "Now the alcohol evaporates at 75C. So using a candy thermometer I kept it below 75." If you raise the temp above 75 all of the alcohol will be gone

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n