Help I need somebody help not just anybody!

Actually I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing , whether the strain is known or not the plants look good they are pre flowering and are healthy and I have enough light to get it through harvest , I'll worry about the electricity bill when it comes in , maybe I should look for a budget growing forum

Thanks for the advise gippy , and although the 'go hungry' to be able to purchase proper strains sounds like the way too go..... Have you ever 'gone hungry' ? lol it ain't fun, Veterans affairs pays me little to nothing and after paying rent and basic supplies that's my disability pay gone .... I already 'go hungry' every bloody week so there isn't any ability to stretch any more dollars for expensive seeds that may or May not be male or go hermie anyway plus in my situation I was needing to get something in the ground ASAP for my dad ,my thinking was the seeds were from an amazing smoke (even though it was packed with seeds) so I'm hoping that would be enough to hopefully produce something better than the occasional crappy swag I can get my hands on around the ACT.... Yes I know it shouldn't be that hard to find here but being disabled and now old lol I'm the last person some young kid on the street wants to help out,

at this point I'll continue on with what I have as I currently have 2-3 females that are close if not ready to flip to flower and in my eyes the look ok, smoking for 20 plus years I understand it's more than just THC when it comes to medicinal crops but in my fathers situation it's mainly being used for nausau etc and as he never smoked even the Schwag was working a little bit in that regard.... Hopefully the stuff I'm growing will do

The same but as you said it would be better to know what I'm growing but beggers can't be choosers, fingers crossed I get something from the grow, but disheartened now after reading the comments that I could be wasting my time and money not knowing the strain.... I wonder how people got on before the Internet and the ability to choose different strains in Australia? Wouldn't they have just been breeding unknown strains?

I know hunger all too well but the point I was trying to make was skip out on a necessity now if you must because that's how important it is for you to get quality genetics.  It doesn't make one bit of difference how good the buds the seeds came from were, the growing method or how much experience you have either.  All you can hope to achieve by cultivating a plant is getting it to reach it's genetic potential and any screw ups with cannabis not only mean you can never reach 100% of the plants potential but you also could induce one of the many genetic triggers that force the plant to spit out bananas or even go full on hermie which bagseed is notorious for doing on it's own anyway.

Now realistically you've been sold buds that were accidentally pollinated or pollen chucked and never tested and either way it's not good.  You'll have no idea what you're in store for and you could even grow plants that cause more problems than they help.  You could even be growing a shitty hemp hybrid that's utterly worthless and you won't know until you harvest.  Why on Earth would you risk that when you can literally spend $60 for a 10 pack of seeds that have been bred by someone reputable?  I know the pension sucks, I'm on one too, but if I choose to not drive when I can walk, go out much, eat anything that is unhealthy, etc. I can scrimp and save and I'm terrible with money.  Give me some motivation like a strain I've wanted for ages going on special and I'm not eating or my rents not being paid that week because I could use the weight loss and know the real estate agent will gladly overlook a week or two if I still pay it off over time.  It sucks, life does in general, but I assure you that if you go down that path that you won't look back on it like you made a bad decision.  You'll be like I didn't eat anything for 3 days and meat for an entire month but knowing what I do now I'd do it again and then you'll find yourself drooling over some random seedbank's site wondering not if you should do it again but which strain you'll do it for.

Honestly if you're not prepared to get the seeds in the long run you should just quit now.  Growing isn't cheap to do and if you're gonna stinge out on genetics because you can't even afford some of the uber cheap strains like skunk#1 all you're going to do is set yourself up for heartache, financial woes and when you cheap out and buy all the cheapest growing gear you might even start a fire or two as well.  Don't get me wrong you still might do completely fine with what you've got but it's unlikely and considering the medicinal needs and the time you'll waste at $5 a day in power in the long run you'd consider buying a $60 pack of seeds today more than worth it.

Arguably the best and TASTIEST buds are grown in soil mixes indoors - keyword TASTIEST ford_fairlane. Not only that but you may luck out with the bagseed, consider that the majority of strains have been bagseed at one point - think about that for a minute. I would be vegeing them for longer if you want to make it worth your time considering you only have a few plants, electricity is costly and is forecasted to be even more costly soon so keep that in mind. Its also wise to not bother importing what are usually quite expensive seeds when youre unfamiliar with the plants basic nutritional requirements so its a great beginning - a good start ! Also good on you for taking charge of the situation you are in bro - true grit. I sympathise with you.

vege them 18/6 for another month or so and be patient. Learn about topping/supercropping/LST to maintain an even canopy and to grow round bushes.

Attempt to inhibit apical dominance. Did i mention the need for patience.... oh yeah i did, i cant reinforce this recommendation seriously enough though !!!

Good luck with your grow,

I AM A WALRUSSS COOCOOKACHOOO COOCOOKACHOOO - beatles fan here bud :)

Hey Aussie, hope it works out well so you can get some decent meds.

In that size tent adding the HPS is a must, and I would go so far as to say that short of getting another HPS to whack in there, it's worth keeping the extra lights running as 600w ain't enough for that space.  I'd also be looking to keep them in veg long enough to train them outwards to fill most of the lateral space before switching the lights to flower cycle, I know you're in a hurry, but an extra week or 2 at this stage will make a massive difference to yield.  Search the site for LST and/or SCROG for space filling techniques.

I'm gonna risk wading into the bagseed vs known strain debate, hopefully diplomatically :D

You've obviously spent some money on grow equipment, so another couple of hundred dollars for good known genetics is an extremely good investment, especially if you get some regular seeds so you can get some males for pollen chucking, but it does need to be done after researching which sorts of strains are going to give the best medicinal benefit, how you manage to fund that is something only you can sort out at your own convenience.  Being on a DSP for near 20 years means I understand your financial reality, but I also know that given time and planning it can be done, and I'm certainly glad I did.  Try and think of it in terms of money saved on buying canna of inferior and useless quality.

But I don't necessarily see bagseed as a bad option (sorry Gippy), but it is definitely a risky option.  Regular seeds give both male and female, so what, just means you have to start off with a few extras and cull the males out, and also means you can make fresh seeds.  But the possibility of hermaphrodites from seedy bud bagseed, as mentioned by Gippy, is a real one, and would mean a mostly failed crop after wasting time, effort, and money.  If that happens, let the crop grow to maturity and make hash or oil, won't be full strength, but will be better than nothing.  My first comeback grow a few years ago was bagseed, one lot went hermie, the other didn't.  The one that didn't came from decent quality seedy bud, and turned out to be very good quality canna, so it was definitely worthwhile.  The other caused me problems, but I still got some okayish hash out of them.

So my attitude is that now that you've come this far with them, you should see it out and hope for the best.  I would be keeping an eye out for any signs of hermaphroditism, and looking to separate any plants showing it, but chances are if 1 does the rest will also.  If they all go well, then you know the rest of the seeds should be okay as well.  However, I would encourage you to buy some known genetics ASAP.  I did, and it has allowed me to explore different strains to find ones that fit my needs best, and to have a variety in the stash to suit different day to day needs and moods, and to help with avoiding too much tolerance build up, in fact I'm still exploring strains and it's a lot of fun.

If you're happy growing in soil, and it's working well for you, then stick with it.  Yes hydroponic mediums can give better plant performance, as can HPS lighting, but I would have to agree that nature produces better tasting buds, and I also reckon a better rounded buzz.  But I still use hydro because I just can't get soil to work for me, yet.

Try not to get upset about Billy's comments, he has a habit of saying well intentioned things in non diplomatic wording at times, and if responded to badly can get a little grumpy in return, or, his first post wasn't as nasty as you seemed to take it and now he's a grumpy old goat.

Best of luck :peace:

• Upvote 1

If there was a hermie that spread pollen that doesnt necessarily mean the offspring will be hermie, not at all. Rodelisation is a technique used to force a plant to hermie in order to produce female seeds, its actually likely you have female seeds - not hermie seeds. Hermie parents dont necessarily produce hermie offspring. Environmental pressures will cause a female to produce male staminate flowers for self-preservation purposes for survival. Maybe a rookie grew the buds you found the seeds in which is more than likely considering the circumstances. The genetic probability of 'true' hermies is quite LOW.

pea's,

Edited by _Puff_Tough_

If there was a hermie that spread pollen that doesnt necessarily mean the offspring will be hermie, not at all. Rodelisation is a technique used to force a plant to hermie in order to produce female seeds, its actually likely you have female seeds - not hermie seeds. Hermie parents dont necessarily produce hermie offspring. Environmental pressures will cause a female to produce male staminate flowers for self-preservation purposes for survival. Maybe a rookie grew the buds you found the seeds in which is more than likely considering the circumstances. The genetic probability of 'true' hermies is quite LOW.

pea's,

Take a deep breath before you respond to this PT, it's not personal.

Theres' a difference between an hermaphrodite, a fem plant forced to produce pollen sacs, and a plant naturally producing a few pollen sacs in a last ditch effort to produce offspring. 

The forced plants produce feminised seed, and theory is that seed from natural last ditch pollen are also fem, but old school guys who used to do it reckon it's something like 80-90% fem with the odd male.  These are the reasons that the myth of seeds from hermie pollen are female, and it is a myth, if it's a proper hermaphrodite the offspring will carry that trait to a high percentage, and I base that on experience as well as generally accepted fact.

So unless the grower had a large accident with a forced plant, or was going to the trouble of putting younger buds around a plant very late in flower starting to produce nana's, the chances of the seed being feminised is virtually non existant.  Whereas if it's a result of a true hermaphrodite causing pollenation, there is a very high chance the offspring will be hermie.  The basis for this is that a forced, or last ditch effort, plant is a female carrying female chromosomes and passes that onto another female causing only female offspring.  Whereas an hermaphrodite carries mixed chromosomes, and passes that on to the offspring.

Most likely in this case is that an amateur, or lazy/incompetent, gardener simply missed a male plant until too late, in which case the offspring will be fine.  So no need to get into a panic, just keep an eye out as bagseed is a higher risk for this than known sources, and the bulk of hermie plants that turn up on this site usually seem to be bagseed plants strangely enough.

Edited by Sir PsychoHashy
  • Upvote 2

I also see from some of your posts that money for you is not a problem , I however can't go out and buy nute pens and other stuff to help me with my grow , I have a forum to ask questions when I have credit on my internet , spare a thought for people in my situation through no fault of there own surviving on a military disability pay (pathetic) or similar , if I had the money to order seeds I would have, if I had the money I could have done plenty of different things ,,,,, no my option was to use bag seed from a deal I purchased over a year ago in WA , anyway thanks to everyone else who however constructive criticism/ advice

Don't class me economically.

Sick of bloody sob stories.... We all got problems mate.