Budrot blues( outdoor)

Newby outdoor question... How does one tell if bud rot is happening ? I've only ever had it once indoors... And didn't even realise until harvest ...

Hey billygoat... I lost a lot of bud to rot last year because I was clueless what to look for.  I thought my plant was aging gracefully, when actual fat she was rotting from the inside.  I lost the whole plant.

This year I am being vigilant for anything unusual.  Some signs of the rot that I've observed so far:-

• Shade leaves die rather than yellowing.  
  • Abnormal (relative to rest of plant) pistil browning - this was the only clue I had to the rot I've found in the last couple days.

A couple of pics of the outward signs of rot on buds I've pulled in the last week...

post-51352-0-42630600-1459383278_thumb.jpg  post-51352-0-65310800-1459383286_thumb.jpg  post-51352-0-27593500-1459383295_thumb.jpg  post-51352-0-06594100-1459383304_thumb.jpg  post-51352-0-31478600-1459383313_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 7

I should also mention that it has been pointed out to me that it is important to try not to disturb the mold spores when removing infected buds.. Perhaps cover in plastic bag first.  Emphasise cleanliness and hygiene to avoid spread of spores.  Sterilise scissors, change clothes, etc after handling.

• Upvote 2

While fungal infections are systemic and often considerably troublesome i have found it beneficial to utilise products with chloramine like Dutch masters zone as it can prevent the spread of the infection throughout the plant. If the infection isnt wide spread remove the infected region carefully and apply DM zone at the point of infection. Sometimes its best to just completely remove the plant from the garden though depending on the severity of the outbreak. Reapply DM zone periodically and assess the continuity of degradation. Excessive watering/plant hydration and high humidity affects plants with dense bud formation as the plants perspire/sweat like fat chicks at bondi in summer and this is a common cause of such fungal infections. 2 cents bitches. :) Edited by _Puff_Tough_

Dutch master  Zone sounds useful to control small outbreaks. I have sprayed whats left of my plants with bud factor x , I won't be harvesting anything for two weeks, so I thought why not trial it while I have the chance. It seams  to have dried up the mold  that was still visible after I chopped all the big buds off, though it could be helped by the sun we have been having. Anyway so far so good. 

Hey billygoat... I lost a lot of bud to rot last year because I was clueless what to look for.  I thought my plant was aging gracefully, when actual fat she was rotting from the inside.  I lost the whole plant.

This year I am being vigilant for anything unusual.  Some signs of the rot that I've observed so far:-

• Shade leaves die rather than yellowing.  
  • Abnormal (relative to rest of plant) pistil browning - this was the only clue I had to the rot I've found in the last couple days.

A couple of pics of the outward signs of rot on buds I've pulled in the last week...

attachicon.gif20160327_150739.jpg  attachicon.gif20160327_151520.jpg  attachicon.gif20160328_152916.jpg  attachicon.gif20160329_101713.jpg  attachicon.gif20160330_105035.jpg

Thanks Ange, great pics. :good:

geez, got to be vigilant to be able to catch it early by the looks of it.... eyes will be pealed when i check em out this arvy.

I look for any yellow bud leaves, this is a sign you have a nice chunk of mold in there.  If you pull on the little head leaves, very carefully you can get a look in next to the stem, which is where it starts.  If there is mold I think it is probably best to take the thick part of the branch off, at least this way it doesn't get spread when trying to cut it out.

• Upvote 1