invasion of the little black beetles - problem or not?

Hi all,

I have a little black/dark brown beetle invading my crop.

I have seen the odd one of these in previous years, but certainly not in the numbers they are in the Longbottom Leaf pictured below.  Fuk!  Hadn't seen just how bad they are until I expanded the image!  Crawling in the bastards it would seem.

So, anyone know what they are?  if they are a concern?  how I get rid of them?  This the worst affected plant by far and has maybe a month to go...

med_gallery_51352_1514_3452965.jpg

gallery_51352_1514_938960.jpg

I have had problems with them in the past, I reckon they cause bud mold, though if you don't get any rain you should be ok !!  I cant tell you what they are. I have even considered sending them to a entomologist so if someone knows what they are and how to control them I would be grateful. The ones I'm talking about don't jump. 

so far , if it is the flea beetle , the larvae live in soil dormant over winter & start kicking along in spring 

beneficial soil nematodes love the larvae 

organic sprays i found so far are garlic spray & onion & mint spray , but keep in mind you don't really want to spray at all in flower

but you also don't want to spray something that will leave a residue in flower either , neem was also a spray suggestion 

http://www.agrisk.umn.edu/cache/ARL02958.htm

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for contributing.

so far , if it is the flea beetle , the larvae live in soil dormant over winter & start kicking along in spring 

beneficial soil nematodes love the larvae 

organic sprays i found so far are garlic spray & onion & mint spray , but keep in mind you don't really want to spray at all in flower

but you also don't want to spray something that will leave a residue in flower either , neem was also a spray suggestion 

http://www.agrisk.umn.edu/cache/ARL02958.htm

Thanks heaps itchy...  I believe it is the flea beetle although I've yet to observe them jump.  And the timing does seem off.

I was beginning to be concerned that the larvae would be chomping on the roots but sounds like that's not an issue until winter at least.

Makes sense that the LBL is the worst attacked because her plot had the least preparation and amendments relative to the rest - was very much a late afterthought.  And has also been subjected to moisture stress.

I was going to spray today with garlic chilli soap spray that I made up last night.  Thought that might piss them off without leaving a residue.  Everything I've read says the smell only lasts for a very short time.

Thanks everyone for contributing.

Thanks heaps itchy...  I believe it is the flea beetle although I've yet to observe them jump.  And the timing does seem off.

I was beginning to be concerned that the larvae would be chomping on the roots but sounds like that's not an issue until winter at least.

Makes sense that the LBL is the worst attacked because her plot had the least preparation and amendments relative to the rest - was very much a late afterthought.  And has also been subjected to moisture stress.

I was going to spray today with garlic chilli soap spray that I made up last night.  Thought that might piss them off without leaving a residue.  Everything I've read says the smell only lasts for a very short time.

sounds good Ange 

you could also try , a bit of a long shot ,

they like radish & something else so maybe a bunch of radish seedlings & whatever around might attract them away from canna 

• Upvote 1

sounds good Ange 

you could also try , a bit of a long shot ,

they like radish & something else so maybe a bunch of radish seedlings & whatever around might attract them away from canna 

picked up 2 punnets of radish seedlings today - can't hurt to try lol  They're pretty small compared to my 6' Longbottom Leafs lol