whole plant turned lime green 1 week into flower

Combination of things..  ph, trace elements (iron)? macro (potassium)...locking out immobiles...?  still settling and growing soil in the pots it will only get better.  Hi itchy I have to source some of this stuff but it should be no hassles owing to rural regional location but if you have any suggestions i'd be stoked?

Faith :sun:     I'll get some pics up a little later this arv

Hey Faith, I'm well out of my depth with soil biology and all that shit, so I'll leave that to Itchy and Co.

Doesn't look like cal mag to me either.  I don't know what the problem is, but I can say how I'd approach it at a basic level.  I've noticed a lot of plants during the stretch phase in early flower appear a bit hungry and go pale to yellow particularly around the new growth, at times I'll up the nutes a little, at others I just accept it and ignore it and let it sort itself out as stretch ends, either way that has always sorted itself out, so far.

Your issue is a bit different in that it's plant wide, and if I understand correctly it happened across the entire plant consistently rather than working its way up, down, in, or out?  Could be low nitrogen, but that doesn't look quite right either.  To my amateur eye it doesn't actually look like a deficiency at this stage, though that's not to say it isn't, or that it won't take on the appearance of a deficiency over time.  Personally I'd just make sure my PH of water was in the right range, 6.5-7 for soil I think which is where you said you were, and keep an eye on things to see if it goes beyond a colour change into signs of stress or deficiency, and panic if that happens.

I would work on the assumption that whilst your soil biology provides for the plants needs, maybe it just can't quite keep up with the demands of stretch and flower onset.  Plant looks otherwise pretty healthy, and sounds like she's growing alright still, and that colouration is not outside appropriate canna shades of green, so maybe not panic yet.  And if you really want to top dress, maybe something like potash which is meant to be good for flowering would be the most sensible direction, otherwise you might find yourself trying to deal with an unknown deficiency and throwing random things into a mix which could cause a whole new set of problems.

Another thought, if you have a clone of this plant which is still dark green, repot it into coco, or some other medium you are familiar with, let it settle and pop it into flower and see if it does the same, as it could just be something that happens to this plant at this stage of it's life.

Having said all that, keep posting pics and pay more attention to Itchy than me, cause soil gives me a headache just thinking about it.

:peace: and good gardening to you :gardening:

Hey Faith, I'm well out of my depth with soil biology and all that shit, so I'll leave that to Itchy and Co.

Doesn't look like cal mag to me either.  I don't know what the problem is, but I can say how I'd approach it at a basic level.  I've noticed a lot of plants during the stretch phase in early flower appear a bit hungry and go pale to yellow particularly around the new growth, at times I'll up the nutes a little, at others I just accept it and ignore it and let it sort itself out as stretch ends, either way that has always sorted itself out, so far.

Your issue is a bit different in that it's plant wide, and if I understand correctly it happened across the entire plant consistently rather than working its way up, down, in, or out?  Could be low nitrogen, but that doesn't look quite right either.  To my amateur eye it doesn't actually look like a deficiency at this stage, though that's not to say it isn't, or that it won't take on the appearance of a deficiency over time.  Personally I'd just make sure my PH of water was in the right range, 6.5-7 for soil I think which is where you said you were, and keep an eye on things to see if it goes beyond a colour change into signs of stress or deficiency, and panic if that happens.

I would work on the assumption that whilst your soil biology provides for the plants needs, maybe it just can't quite keep up with the demands of stretch and flower onset.  Plant looks otherwise pretty healthy, and sounds like she's growing alright still, and that colouration is not outside appropriate canna shades of green, so maybe not panic yet.  And if you really want to top dress, maybe something like potash which is meant to be good for flowering would be the most sensible direction, otherwise you might find yourself trying to deal with an unknown deficiency and throwing random things into a mix which could cause a whole new set of problems.

Another thought, if you have a clone of this plant which is still dark green, repot it into coco, or some other medium you are familiar with, let it settle and pop it into flower and see if it does the same, as it could just be something that happens to this plant at this stage of it's life.

Having said all that, keep posting pics and pay more attention to Itchy than me, cause soil gives me a headache just thinking about it.

:peace: and good gardening to you :gardening:

What I should have stated early in the thread you could look at using cal-mag which has micro elements like iron, chelated iron, Sulfur, magnesium, etc

Edited by lookinggoodguys
  • Upvote 1

Hi faith 

what is it your wanting to source ? 

i've been thinking allot about your prob & i'm thinking it's water

how are the bottom of the water barrels looking , give em a clean out if you haven't already

there's some rain around hear at the mo not sure in your neck of the woods if there's enough

to catch anymore otherwise bubble tap water for 24hrs , not great but will be clean , a good mulch

layer will help filter the water as it passes though

i think there was to much of a change all at once plus she wasn't looking really angry , doesn't look

like she's OD'ing on something & hasn't got the droops of not getting enough of something ,  how is she today faith  ? sorry to take so long to reply

• Upvote 1

Faith did you say you were PH'ing your feeding ? if so what are you using to do that 

i never ph water , most of this years grow has been on RO water which in my understanding 

should be a little acidic , then i'm adding EM , PH below 4 , fulvic acidic between 3.5 - 4.5

so my water should be pretty acidic , i don't adjust anything  soil life sorts it out , i also water 

very slowly by hand , don't want to flood the pot & flush out all the good guys , easy to slow

watering with a pump sprayer you can take the spray head off so it works like a hose 

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

5 days later...sorry for not getting back on quicker...she's greening up a bit :D

I had just re-potted her into a bigger pot and watered in when I posted first so nothing has gone through the soil at the moment. 

I first gave her a foliar with a gt cal mag +N the first night.  Oh, I neeemed her first lol  Nest day I foliar sprayed with seasol. In the arvo I gave her another foliar of searle's liquid potash.  I also foliar sprayed epsom as well I probably shoudnta but I tried to not overdo it honest! 

Then I top-dressed with a decent (I hope!) compost-ie mix I scraped up and put that under the mulch then gave a little moisten up with the lacto. 

I did ph my water with ph up.  Itchy  I get my garden water the same and the last lot through had been there a fair while and had all kinds of stuff in there...I think that had a bit to do with it. 

I wouldn't think it could be cal mag but she also had a quicky of some epsom salts, just a teaspoon a litre though?

I think she's gonna be okay :)  thanks heaps and heaps for all the quality advice, Youse are awesome.

Here's a pics or 2, these were taken yesterday, I'll try to get a pic today and compare..but I think I probably freaked out too much lol  I just hate losing em lol

post-48457-0-68591100-1458704868_thumb.jpgpost-48457-0-89018100-1458705031_thumb.jpgpost-48457-0-38740300-1458705114_thumb.jpg

Thanks again stoners :bongon:

Faith :sun:

• Upvote 2