Seed Sprouting

My method is soak/float for 24hrs, put onto wet tissue and keep in dark another 24hrs.

Latest sprouting 35/39 which is a good percentage I think. Shall wait another few days to see if last 4 sprout? :P

Shall transplant again in 3-5 days depending on the little blighters wheeties consumption. lol

Aussie

i have always used cup of water and the cubes but i did a comparison over last few days to a method i recently found.i have some bronzewhaler seeds that i made 6mths ago and tried the normal method no good 6 out of 6 cracked and just fizzled in rockwool.mate had 10 i gave him and all 10 the same.so itried both methods again and 6 in the new method are up and growing 100%germ rate.but 6 from the same batch i used the continer of water and low and behold 6 of them are up looking at the light also.the difference was i had a ltr of distilled water which i added a tbspoon of bleach to and poured into cup to soak them.the other method was to soak papertowel in the same water put seeds on it and fold it over them.put in a ziplock bag and blowit up and seal it.this acts like a humidity chamber and was a bit quicker strike rate.i think the bleach is the trick as i have come to the conclusion that most seeds that pop and dont go any further are due to bacteria and the such which bleach kills.only other reason is old dead and immature seed stock and cubes or media way to wet.hope this helps but this is just my observations.anyone wanting to read a more comprihensive germ method for the ziplock style go to cannabis professionals as thats where i read it and it works very well.but also germination methods are learnt to suit media grow style and the such and does become very individual.

@luke mate i have read info on here overtime that you posted and help me shitloads.

hello all this is a great site by the way.

this is my first reply so here goes. I put 60 seeds in a glass of water (boiled water cooled to room temp i don't know if boiled water is better but thats what i used) i soaked seeds for around 14 - 16 hrs. i also put 30 seeds in a small plate soaked in sensa-soak and followed directions on the bottle.

The seeds in the glass i placed up 3 different mixes coco, coco/peat and rockwool placed under 2 fluro lights on a 24 hr cycle, i used a tiny amount of seasol mixed with water 4 there first water, and just plain water for the next, 90% of the seeds spouted within 2 and a half days.

The seeds in the plate stayed in the plate for 3 days and then were put in pots with coco mix.

the seedlings are 5 days old now. of course i'm not growing around 90 plants just keep the best looking around 10 left.

thanks

Well here is a semi-detailed walkthrough of what I do:

Firstly, I get my seeds (from a good plant, from a friend, never pay). Get a take-away container (any old container will do, but i find the chinese rectangular take-away ones work pretty good).

Lay some toilet paper (or pref. paper towel) about 3 or layers thick on the bottom of container. Note: More Toilet Paper may be needed if afore said toilet paper is only 1 ply. haha!!

Anyway, moderately wet the toilet paper using boiled water which has been cooled to room temperature (or distilled water, if you can be bothered).

Then put a lid on your container (humidity here is essential) and put it in a dark, warm cupboard (the idea around this, I've heard is to emulate the conditions a seed would usually germinate in, i.e. there isn't much light an inch under the soil.

In 1-30 odd days your seeds should've sprouted. I usually get about 90% done by 5 days.

I usually wait till the tap root of my seeds are around 1 cm spouted (take a little, maybe) ande then plant them tap root down.

Here are some pics of my germination method:

post-5141-1114255899_thumb.jpg

^ Closed lid container with T.P. and seeds

post-5141-1114256376_thumb.jpg

^ Same pic except with lid off

post-5141-1114256483_thumb.jpg

^ A close-up of my pretty lil' seeds, which all sprouted 2 days later

Also a very interesting story that happened one fortnight ago and is totally fricken true, no joke. Is that i was doing a few seeds (for me and a mate) and used the same method shown.

Day 1=Nothing

Day 2=1 seed got a small root, gave to mate

Day 3-5 = I buggered off

Day 6=The other seed, had dug it's root into the toilet paper and the seed was attached to the top of the stem/root about an inch high

I let this go for one more day, until the lid wouldn't go on with out touching the seed.

One of the embryonic leaves was showing underneath the cracked seed an inch the air (embryonic are the round ones seen at sprouting), so i maneuvered the cracked seed off with tweezers and put the whole container under a small halogen lamp.

Btw, the other uncracked seed was tossed at this point. So my lil' plant started to green up a bit and shot off some other leaves and is going strong.

The funny thing is, the next day i transplanted it, toilet paper and all, into some soil and a pot, and put it out under the sun and this plant is growing at an astounding rate.

I dunno if anyone else has found this, but this plant is literally growing at least double the speed of my previous plants and is experiencing very similiar conditions. The germ. speed was also pretty fast.

If anyone knows why my plant is growing so fast, do you wanna share the info?

And also i just realised while writing this, the root never turned around (coz i watched it) so does this prove that theory wrong, or is it just an exception.

Anyway, that's my 2 bobs worth!! :blink: :yingyang

Important Information

By using the community in any way you agree to our Terms of Use and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.