Organizing a 420 rally - complete madness?

Hey Stoners,

Today I have had a completely mad idea - to organize a 420 rally in my local regional centre, a town of approx 10,000 people.

As happens so often with me once I get an idea in my head I cannot let it go!

As a bit of background and insight to why this means so much to me and why I feel motivated to do something...

• I had my first toke at 16, some 30 years ago.  I've not smoked ever since, but only because it's been illegal and often unavailable to me (until you fine folks taught me how to grow my own).
  • I moved to this backwater 15 years ago and have pretty much had no stoner friends ever since.
  • I've recently come out to my family as a long time smoker and it didn't really go down well as my parents are of the generation completely brainwashed into believing cannabis is a demon drug with no redeeming features whatsoever.
  • I've subsequently become the butt of a joke any time the subject of canna comes up
  • I'd like to change the prejudices of people towards canna.
  • For various reasons, not the least of which that it 300km away, I can't get to the Melbourne rally
  • The Nimbin Mardigrass gets absolutely no publicity here whatsoever.  BUT, if a 420 rally was held in Swan Hill, it would be all over the local news and people might start to take notice, maybe open a few eyes.
So I put it to you, my stoner friends, to either help me or dissuade me from this madness lol

On the plus side, I have come up with the idea nice and early which would allow for plenty of preparation and advertising :)

On the negative, I have a current grow underway that will not be finished by April 20th so I really don't need to be attracting attention to myself (and I really don't want to be associated publicly as the face of the rally if that makes sense).

Has anyone been to the big city ones?  Do you need to have guest speakers or can I just put out flyers and hope everyone turns up to the local park with a joint? lol

See, I've nfi! lol   But I am very serious about my passion to do this.

Hey Crow.

something like this might be what your looking for

https://www.facebook.com/events/1688554588090388/

Free cannabis community 420 picnic - Central Coast

Hey Crow.

something like this might be what your looking for

https://www.facebook.com/events/1688554588090388/

Free cannabis community 420 picnic - Central Coast

Thanks ...................... (feels some sort of weird trying to pronounce that in my head!).  

Cool - would love to go to that!

Sounds like a good starting point... The idea is still chipping away at the back of my mind.

I live in a rural city with 5 times that population, and I near shat myself when I read the OP, we are not in metropolitan cities and as a result we are stuck in the 50's when it comes to openly championing cannabis, unless you are married to an ex drug squad cop and have friends in the right section of the community and media.

Going public with that sort of shit in the backwoods is unfortunately insane, and doing it while growing is way beyond that,  In Sydney or Melbourne etc, not a problem, but in the boondocks you'll end up with 80% of the community wanting to burn you at the stake as a witch, and the rest quietly cheering but wanting to not be seen anywhere near you, not to mention the police attention you would get.  So noble as it is, all it will achieve is to make you more isolated.  And lets face it, the local stoners would be mostly too scared to risk going public anyway.

I can understand the feeling of isolation in relation to canna use and passion, but that's where online communities like this one come into their own.  It provides an outlet and social opportunity to air our passions with like minded individuals without painting a massive target on our backs.  MG is a long trip from where I am, and a lot further for you, but I would encourage you to make the trip at some point as it's a great experience, especially for us country bumpkins, I'm hoping to get my shit together enough to go again before health and aging rule it out for me.

Sad thing for you is that your family puts you down, particularly sad that your hubby doesn't seem to be supportive as that's his role.  I really hope that you can find a way to convince them that for you at least, canna is a good thing, and get them back on your side.  Best of luck

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I live in a rural city with 5 times that population, and I near shat myself when I read the OP, we are not in metropolitan cities and as a result we are stuck in the 50's when it comes to openly championing cannabis, unless you are married to an ex drug squad cop and have friends in the right section of the community and media.

Going public with that sort of shit in the backwoods is unfortunately insane, and doing it while growing is way beyond that,  In Sydney or Melbourne etc, not a problem, but in the boondocks you'll end up with 80% of the community wanting to burn you at the stake as a witch, and the rest quietly cheering but wanting to not be seen anywhere near you, not to mention the police attention you would get.  So noble as it is, all it will achieve is to make you more isolated.  And lets face it, the local stoners would be mostly too scared to risk going public anyway.

I can understand the feeling of isolation in relation to canna use and passion, but that's where online communities like this one come into their own.  It provides an outlet and social opportunity to air our passions with like minded individuals without painting a massive target on our backs.  MG is a long trip from where I am, and a lot further for you, but I would encourage you to make the trip at some point as it's a great experience, especially for us country bumpkins, I'm hoping to get my shit together enough to go again before health and aging rule it out for me.

Sad thing for you is that your family puts you down, particularly sad that your hubby doesn't seem to be supportive as that's his role.  I really hope that you can find a way to convince them that for you at least, canna is a good thing, and get them back on your side.  Best of luck

Hey Hashy,

You are absolutely right and I have long since come to my senses. A nice pipe dream I guess...

Apologies for nearly causing an accident in your undies lol

And I also have to apologise big time because I am on my iPad and I just accidentally negative repped you - and I'm not even stoned lol

I am about to head over to your diary and give you a heap of rep to make up for it!

I havent long joined this group or i would have weighed in on this!

Jagged ur right mate and crow dont get caught but in the same time dont give up, i hear wat the group is trying to say but therw is our problem most people wont stand up and be counted for fear of condemnation but evil will flurish when goos people do nothing and i know no body likes to rock the boat but if we don't all stand up we will never see change.

I have watched for years every stoner complain but never act!

Ive been busted 3 times and then i hid and safly the more complaing and less action i see makes me feel like hiding again but why should we!

Anyhow Crow shoot me a pm i live in country vic about a 1/4 the size of swan hill and my aunt and uncle own a pub there somewhere (swan hill)

I would like to catch up next time im over that way!

FREE THE WEED

Evo13