Simple method for an indoor garden is just 2 x 50litre tubs. Fill the bottom tub with clay balls and stand in your fill pipe. Cut the bottom off the other tub and sit over the first tub. Line with geofabric or mesh. Fill with a good organic soil mix. If you get a ping pong ball and a metal coat hanger you can straighten the coat hanger out and stab it into the ping pong ball. Drop the ball into your fill pipe and mark the coat hanger with a high water level. Edited by forgetiwashere
  • Upvote 1

Simple method for an indoor garden is just 2 x 50litre tubs. Fill the bottom tub with clay balls and stand in your fill pipe. Cut the bottom off the other tub and sit over the first tub. Line with geofabric or mesh. Fill with a good organic soil mix. If you get a ping pong ball and a metal coat hanger you can straighten the coat hanger out and stab it into the ping pong ball. Drop the ball into your fill pipe and mark the coat hanger with a high water level.

Yeah I believe they sell pot systems like that for those who can't be arsed building their own. From what I've heard, they're supposedly pretty good. Bet they don't have the ping pong ball water level though lol Love it! :thumbsup:

Don't you be stealin' my intellectual property ya prick :nono:

I kid, I kid lol Share away!

...Might kill ya in your sleep though :whistle:

bahahaha sweeeet... coz i already done did it.. was just bein polite.. hehehe.

and

while ya come to kill me in my sleep... ya wanna feed all my aminals for me?.. its dang exhausting work.. haha.

bahahaha sweeeet... coz i already done did it.. was just bein polite.. hehehe.

and

while ya come to kill me in my sleep... ya wanna feed all my aminals for me?.. its dang exhausting work.. haha.

Bastard <_<

and

No -.-  ...but i'll steal their poop to feed my plants :D

So... I've been researching (googling when I can be arsed) wicking beds for indoor use and came across a few things. I also went through Rattrap's old post and noticed a few people had mentioned other systems that were similar.

It appears 'SIP' (Sub-Irrigated Planter) buckets are quite popular. They essentially work the same way as a wicking bed, just on a smaller scale. Here are a couple of images explaining how they work and how to make them:

DIY Instructions:

How_to_make_a_DIY_Two_Bucket_Sub-Irrigat

Basic Diagram:

http://tacticalintelligence.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/SIP6.jpg

420 Grow System's Eco Buckets Design:

http://420growingsystems.com/images/Water-Pot.jpg

That is all for now.

Brownies -_-

See no reason why not, coco has great wicking properties.  Would have to put some thought into avoiding build up of nutrients in the coco by either running low strength, and/or doing the odd water only cycle, or something?  Only other issue I can think of would be if you had extended rain periods (assuming outdoor) flushing the coco right out so the plants end up starving, but there's ways around everything