First Grow 9/1/2016

Hey,

I'm new to this forum and just started reading all the info that has been given... (really awesome by the way)..

Decided I would give growing a go a few months ago, until here I am today.., being a farmer, no idea what I am doing, but super excited my little darlings popped out the dirt..

Now reading all these post I realise there is so much more to it than sun and water.. and I may need some coaching along the way.

So guys, any tips would be awesome and ill post photos as the munchkins grow.

Yes, I named them.post-57685-0-68068800-1452431530_thumb.jpgpost-57685-0-17646700-1452431565_thumb.jpgpost-57685-0-50169500-1452431589_thumb.jpgpost-57685-0-68068800-1452431530_thumb.jpg

Few questions..

I stayed up for way too many hours reading and watching tutorials.. And now, I think I may be more confused than I was before.

Tree: Auto-flower Purple Kush
Jane: Auto-flower Northern Lights

I saw people using some crazy pots with wholes all over the side (auto-flowers need more air?) or something..  Are mine too small and sealed? Should I change pots?

Over watering, is this possible when they are so young? How often should I water, I'm scared I've been over protective already, been spraying the top of the dirt morning and night and pouring a little bit of water too.

Decorations- (girly question) I was going to go shopping today and get some little friends for them to stick in the dirt like a real garden- could this be bad for the plant at all?

Lastly...

Fertiliser: When do I fert?. some say auto-flowers don't need much.. some say not at all..

Thanks again guys,

Hey Kitty, welcome to OS.

We'll really need more info to help you properly, stuff like what medium you are using, grow environment, etc. 

The pots you're referring to are airpots, and allow more oxygen into the rootzone, and help by air pruning the roots, or something like that.  Do you need them, no, but if you want to fork out the dollars for them feel free.  What you do need is a pot and medium with good drainage, then when you feed/water them that helps introduces fresh oxygen into the rootzone.  A constantly wet soggy medium will bog them down and starve them for oxygen, hence the regular advice not to overwater, as most newcomers tend to, and some of the people advising against it do occassionally as well :D.

Your choice of medium will dictate what to feed them.  Being auto's, it is vitally important that your medium is light and fluffy, like a little kitten, so the roots can grow through it easily.  As they only veg for 3 weeks before flowering you need to give them every chance to perform right from the start, and start feeding them from about 5 days after they break the surface, but not at full strength.  For a first attempt at growing, don't expect much from auto's, they're a bit finicky, and if you are growing them outdoors they will yield even less.  My 1st outdoor autos were between 2.5-10 grams each, but I'm sure you can beat that.

Unless you want to do a more traditional form of hydroponics, I'd recommend good quality pre buffered coco and perlite as  a grow medium, and feeding with coco specific nutrients, but depends on budget and personal situation.  A premium (not cheap) potting mix amended with some perlite and a little bit of Bunnings crappy coco will do the job and can be fed with something like Seasol, but they won't perform as well, and it's harder to control their feeding regime.

Do a search on this site for Buzzo and read through a couple of his diaries if you  want the best advice on growing autos.  In the meantime let us know what your growing information is and you'll get plenty of good advice.  I've gotten reasonably good at growing auto's, but still can't hold a candle to Buzzo.

:peace:

• Upvote 2