Thrips anyone?

:twiddle:

Apologies all.............

My ultimate goal is to help as many people as possible without creating

slanging matches........... That was never my intent.....

Respect to all parties involved in this discussion.........

We may agree to disagree on some occasions but in the event of healthy discussions some of us may learn something...

Hopefully ,,,,, :good:

• Upvote 1

1st post , neem , you buy a bottle , you follow directions

I can give you my IPM run down on my other organic essential oil blend & a enzyme & essential oil spray i'm trying if you like 

but i reckon we've heard enough from each other & we'll leave it at that mate

i honestly wish you all the best for all your future grows & may all bad bugs & pathogens find your plants distasteful & bugga off & leave you alone  

cheers mate

Oh BTW i'd love twenty cents for every time i've recommended neem , i'd be doing pretty well i reckon & so would the plants , i think

:) No worries mate, all good. Turns out the source of the thrips was the flowers on the Senna plants next to the plant that was effected :) Needing the Senna for camouflage I decided not to remove it plus I didn't want to disturb them while they were busy feeding on the senna instead of my plant. What I did do was use the Mavrick on the senna and a good dose at that. I also gave the effected plant a dose and can say I haven't seen any on there since. That's not to say they didn't fly away on there own accord :) hopefully any eggs they might have laid will be taken care of when they hatch. At the end of the season I'm going to remove the senna to help manage any future breakouts. Hopefully the privet bush fills out a bit more by then. Might hit you up for you're recipes next round, cheers mate and good luck with your grow also :)

P.s. Here's an email I got back from the guys that do ecooil and econeem regarding Eco oil. It's useful info so I thought I'd share it :) I removed my email addy for privacy reasons :)

Hi there

Thrips are difficult to control and eco-oil alone tends to not be that effective. The oil works by smothering and with thrips they are often hiding deep in crevices so it's difficult for the spray to reach them.

Overseas eco-neem has registration for thrips but as we haven't done local trial work you won't see it on the label. Overseas they use 3ml per litre and spray weekly with thorough coverage. Adding eco-oil (2ml per litre) improves the sprays sticking ability.

Thrips usually take several sprays to get under control because of their ability to hide. You can also have new ones blown in on winds and (depending on the type you have) new ones emerging from the soil.

Regards

Steve Falcioni

General Manager, eco-organic garden

M 0416 136 474

T 02 9599 8767

ORGANIC CROP PROTECTANTS PTY LTD

61 Turrella St, Turrella NSW 2205

T 1800 634 204 (Toll free) F 02 9599 8010

www.ocp.com.au OCPAustralia @OCP_AUS

www.ecoorganicgarden.com.au ecoorganicgarden @eco_organic_gdn

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Saturday, 9 January 2016 9:29 PM

To: Steve Falcioni

Subject: Eco oil

Email:

Subject: Eco oil

Message Body:

Hi,

Will Eco oil work for thrips?

Cheers.

We may agree to disagree on some occasions but in the event of healthy discussions some of us may learn something...

:) no worries mate all good.

:thumbsup:

Hey itchy I think you'll be pleased to know that I went and picked up a bottle each of Econeem and Eco oil :)

:) I just can't resist a good sales pitch :) lol. I'm going to give the blend a go. Doesn't look like they need it at the moment but going to give it a go once the systemic wears off, a week maybe. It said 2 day withholding period but I'm gonna give it a week then come in with a dose of the neem /oil blend. Wadda ya reckon?

post-56441-0-69555100-1452562547_thumb.jpeg

Here's some pics of the damage caused buy thrips. At first I thought it might have been light burn coming off the shed or some kind of nute defiencie but noticing it was it was localized to one side of the plant and only one plant made me dig a bit deeper. On inspection of one of the effected shoots I noticed a tiny, thin, black, fast moving insect. Went back and did some searching and came up with thrips.

This pic shows a thrip which I shook out of a Senna flower which border the fence at the end of the row. I don't have macro so it a bit blurry but you can see its size.

post-56441-0-77207200-1452563163_thumb.jpeg

This pic is of wilted pistles which again I first thought was light burn. Turns out they love to enter the bract and have a suck and chew at the base of the pistle causing it to prematurely die off.

post-56441-0-57738800-1452563375_thumb.jpeg

These next pics are of leaf damage caused buy the thrips burrowing deep into the growing shoot and having a chew. The damage is caused a week or so prior to seeing it on new growth so like you said "better to get em before they get you" :) One can see how it could be mistaken for light/heat burn or nute def.

post-56441-0-78200800-1452563783_thumb.jpeg

post-56441-0-71404500-1452563810_thumb.jpeg

post-56441-0-75820000-1452563830_thumb.jpeg

post-56441-0-27761800-1452563871_thumb.jpeg

This last pic is a group shot. You can see the Senna along the fence line at the end of the row where the last plant was being invaded from. As you can see there's a lot of places for nasties to hide and breed. Defiantly going to get in early next year with an IPM plan :)

post-56441-0-02770400-1452564267_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Greenstar

Good stuff mate 

nice looking plant in the last pic BTW

Just on your idea to blend , my reading on IPM plans suggest diversity is really important

so maybe leaving them separate might be a better way to go

I spray every 3 - 4 days , neem 1st let's say cos doesn't really matter , then a essential oil blend 2nd ,

as said i'm trying a oil & enzyme spray 3'd & plain rain or RO water as a bit of a wash to stop any build up

some guys will spray once then wash then spray again & wash , spray , wash ect ect you can just work out your own thing 

just be consistent & persistent 

all is emulsified each spray with silica & aloe vera which both offer more than just being a bug spray emulsifier 

this works on prevention first but also oils are contact spray killers , so getting a good wand sprayer to get in to all

the nooks & crannies , spray soil surface , stems , underside of leaves as you work your way up & all the tops on the

way down , all this same stuff works indoors as well however "never" spray with lights on or sun up & on plants ,

oil + sun/hid "will" fry your plants  ,

as you found out you might have to look into the whole garden , well at least near your

plants anyway & make sure there part of your IPM keeping them healthy , cos a distressed plant attracts bugs ,

plant defences are down so bugs attack 

Cheers mate , happy to help , anytime 

Ps Mask up when spraying anything organic or not

Edited by itchybromusic
  • Upvote 1

Good stuff mate 

nice looking plant in the last pic BTW

Just on your idea to blend , my reading on IPM plans suggest diversity is really important

so maybe leaving them separate might be a better way to go

I spray every 3 - 4 days , neem 1st let's say cos doesn't really matter , then a essential oil blend 2nd ,

as said i'm trying a oil & enzyme spray 3'd & plain rain or RO water as a bit of a wash to stop any build up

some guys will spray once then wash then spray again & wash , spray , wash ect ect you can just work out your own thing 

just be consistent & persistent 

all is emulsified each spray with silica & aloe vera which both offer more than just being a bug spray emulsifier 

this works on prevention first but also oils are contact spray killers , so getting a good wand sprayer to get in to all

the nooks & crannies , spray soil surface , stems , underside of leaves as you work your way up & all the tops on the

way down , all this same stuff works indoors as well however "never" spray with lights on or sun up & on plants ,

oil + sun/hid "will" fry your plants  ,

as you found out you might have to look into the whole garden , well at least near your

plants anyway & make sure there part of your IPM keeping them healthy , cos a distressed plant attracts bugs ,

plant defences are down so bugs attack 

Cheers mate , happy to help , anytime 

Ps Mask up when spraying anything organic or not

No worries mate I'll keep em separate. Diversity defiantly sounds like the way to go :)

Thumbs up to your spraying technique!

Yeah there's a pretty crook old plum tree in there which I cut down to the ground that has since re sprouted. The whole tree is covered in some kind of rust. Doesn't look healthy at all, a beacon for nasties I reckon. Cheers

Hey Stan I updated the thread with three with some pics and info. Though you might wanna have a look :)

• Upvote 1

No worries mate I'll keep em separate. Diversity defiantly sounds like the way to go :)

Thumbs up to your spraying technique!

Yeah there's a pretty crook old plum tree in there which I cut down to the ground that has since re sprouted. The whole tree is covered in some kind of rust. Doesn't look healthy at all, a beacon for nasties I reckon. Cheers

Mmmmmmm plums , Mmmmmm homemade plum jam

Look after that baby , Green Star Homemade Plum Jam at all good jam retailers , & some of the bad ones too !

Plus you could ferment those plums as liquid flower booster in 12/12 , sort of like a PK 1314 or some sort of bud booster
Edited by itchybromusic