Thrips anyone?

:) tnx for the info itchy. As long as it kills the thrips before it kills me I'll be happy lol I don't plan on snorting it or using it through bloom so I'm not to worried about it. If I can knock em down fast now with one or two hits then follow up with pyrethrum through bloom if need be I will. My main concern was a fast kill, anything after that was a compromise. It was a tough decision to go with the systemic but for the sake of my plants I think I made the right choice. Time will tell. Cheers mate :)

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html

Insecticides to Avoid

The systemic organophosphate acephate (Lilly Miller Ready-to-Use Systemic, Orthene) is available for ornamental, nonfood plants.

Avoid using it. Acephate can be highly toxic to natural enemies and pollinators and can cause spider mites to become abundant

and damage plants after its application. Avoid foliar sprays of other organophosphate insecticides (e.g., malathion), carbamates

(carbaryl), or pyrethroids (e.g., bifenthrin, cyfluthrin, fluvalinate, and permethrin). These materials are highly toxic to natural

enemies and pollinators, can cause spider mite outbreaks, and are not particularly effective against most thrips. Because their

use in landscapes and gardens can run or wash off into storm drains and contaminate municipal wastewater, these insecticides

are being found in surface water and are adversely affecting nontarget, aquatic organisms

• Upvote 1

Tnx for the advice guys. Took a trip to bunnings today and picked a spray pack of Yates Mavrick systemic insecticide. Not exactly ideal for the environment or humans but I researched thrips and it's the best way to get em as they chew deep into the growing tips and contact sprays are less effective requiring more doses. Follow up is 7-10 days if required and the withholding period is 2 days. If my girls were in full bloom then I'd definitely go with something less toxic. Let yas know how it goes :)

:twiddle:

Yea.......Greeny..........Accept that, but think you have made a decision based on "White Noise"

Don't want to offend you with any innuendos, there are many varied remedies for this scenario, based on experience.....

Itchy has a theory as do you and I........................

Most of us look for the most non toxic form of resolution to any given problem.........

All of us here on this site consume this wondrous product and wish no harm on anyone that we may want to help.........

You have made an independent assessment based on your needs.............. 

So be it..............

Yea.......Greeny..........Accept that, but think you have made a decision based on "White Noise"

Don't want to offend you with any innuendos, there are many varied remedies for this scenario, based on experience.....

Most of us look for the most non toxic form of resolution to any given problem.........

All of us here on this site consume this wondrous product and wish no harm on anyone that we may want to help.........

So be it..............

"can cause spider mite outbreaks, and are not particularly effective against most thrips"

contaminate , possible no work & more probs , great choice , thumbs up for that mate

happy to smoke his buds there stan knowing what he has used on his plants , 

how about greeny sending you his buds & you give a smoke report , would you do that stan ?

what about if i spray this stuff on my tomatoes & send you some , would you eat them stan ? 

& if the answer is yes your talking tish 

safest levels are zero 

no sense , no feeling

If Coles put a sign up in the veg department saying " all these fruit & veg have been sprayed with that stuff "

& all the fruit & veg on this side have not , answer the question to yourself my friend , which one do you buy for the wife & kids ?

A

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html

Insecticides to Avoid

The systemic organophosphate acephate (Lilly Miller Ready-to-Use Systemic, Orthene) is available for ornamental, nonfood plants.

Avoid using it. Acephate can be highly toxic to natural enemies and pollinators and can cause spider mites to become abundant

and damage plants after its application. Avoid foliar sprays of other organophosphate insecticides (e.g., malathion), carbamates

(carbaryl), or pyrethroids (e.g., bifenthrin, cyfluthrin, fluvalinate, and permethrin). These materials are highly toxic to natural

enemies and pollinators, can cause spider mite outbreaks, and are not particularly effective against most thrips. Because their

use in landscapes and gardens can run or wash off into storm drains and contaminate municipal wastewater, these insecticides

are being found in surface water and are adversely affecting nontarget, aquatic organisms

So be it..............

:) Anyone can get online and find the answer they want weather it be right or wrong. They are all bad just some are worse than other. Companies are always going to say there's is better and don't use that because blah blah blah. No one has actually answered my op. Have you had thrips, yes or no? How did you treat them......please explain. Was treatment successful, yes or no? Tnx :)

i think you said earlier , words to the effect of , i don't want to put in any effort , something about having to re-apply or something like that 

you need to read bro the link from the uni of cali  http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html

if there was a strait safe one move answer you would have it , that link will go a long way to helping you 

& so will this , if motivated , if not then spray your stuff & i wish you all the best & hope you start a good IPM in the future so you don"t have to deal with pain in arse bugs again

"There are more than 6,000 thrips species sucking the life from plants all over the world. Get rid of them naturally without resorting to toxic sprays by using these SAFE, organic methods"http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/thrips-control/

Also found this comment from a business owner / retailer of organic soil amendments 

Agisl16h is silica ( powdered version ) , i use this silica ( not powdered ) http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/products/liquid-fertilisers/premium-liquids/potassium-silicate

& i use there 100% Neem http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/products/bio-management/nutri-neem-100

"1 Tablespoon Neem oil with 1.5 grams Agisl16h Powder and 1/2 ounce of Dr. Bronners Castille soap to 1 gallon water

Those thrips will be annihilated after the first spray and gone after the next spray. We get thrips out in Colorado bad

but they are super easy to beat with Neem and Agsil"

please keep in mind " more than 6,000 thrips species "

Dr. Bronners Castille soap 

http://www.drbronner.com.au/collections/liquid-castile-soap

never used this before , but i think people use peppermint soap version

• Upvote 1

:) Mate you better check yourself quick smart. I never said that or any words to that effect, check the posts. You're only making yourself look like a dick :) You still haven't answered my op question only given opinions about what product you think is best based on info dug up on the Internet. You haven't even produced any real world examples of your own. Like I said "HAVE YOU HAD THRIPS, YES OR NO? WHAT TREATMENT DID YOU USE? WAS IT SUCESSFULL? I understand you are only trying to help me out but it's coming across with a bit of a negative undertone which isn't helpful, sorry mate :) Edited by Greenstar

:) Mate you better check yourself quick smart. I never said that or any words to that effect, check the posts. You're only making yourself look like a dick :) You still haven't answered my op question only given opinions about what product you think is best based on info dug up on the Internet. You haven't even produced any real world examples of your own. Like I said "HAVE YOU HAD THRIPS, YES OR NO? WHAT TREATMENT DID YOU USE? WAS IT SUCESSFULL? I understand you are only trying to help me out but it's coming across with a bit of a negative undertone which isn't helpful, sorry mate :)

Ok tough guy , " better check yourself " , lol LoL lol , shakin in mi boots bro , your a hard bloke to help mate !

Quote "  I researched thrips and it's the best way to get em as they chew deep into the growing tips and contact sprays are less effective requiring more doses "

i took that to mean you can't be bothered with follow up sprays you want a one hit wonder , just how i read it , & spent the rest of the time trying to get you away

from chems 

yeah i had thrips used neem quite a number of sprays to knock them down , but since running a IPM system , being pre-emptive with neem & silica i haven't had a prob 

My first suggestion in my first post was neem & workout how many & frequent sprays based on life cycle , that wasn't good enough based on your research " contact sprays are less effective requiring more doses "

I was & still am trying to help you not hurt yourself or anyone else , if that makes me a dick , put it on a t-shirt for me & ware it proudly 

Neem & Silica every 2 to 3 days , more frequent if bad / heavy infestation daily if needed 

2,5ml per litre for both & use a blender to help emulsify , $15 mini blenders at Coles 

good luck to you 

• Upvote 1

1st post , neem , you buy a bottle , you follow directions

I can give you my IPM run down on my other organic essential oil blend & a enzyme & essential oil spray i'm trying if you like 

but i reckon we've heard enough from each other & we'll leave it at that mate

i honestly wish you all the best for all your future grows & may all bad bugs & pathogens find your plants distasteful & bugga off & leave you alone  

cheers mate

Oh BTW i'd love twenty cents for every time i've recommended neem , i'd be doing pretty well i reckon & so would the plants , i think

• Upvote 1