Thrips anyone?

Short Answer - http://www.bunnings.com.au/multicrop-1l-pyrethrum-long-life-insecticide-_p2961421 will kill them right away.

Long Answer - As everyone says prevention is better then a cure. I do the same cleaning, prevention cycle every time and dont have issues with pest.

After my girls are done, I do a normal clean. Then Bomb my room with a Flea and Cockroach bomb, leave it for the night. While that is going on, I spray my doorway, in/out fan and any other place with a spider surface spray.

Next day, air the room out and do a second clean of walls, floor ect. I use a metho, lemon juice, clove and water spray for the roof, wall and all the equipment I use. And a simple bicarb and vinegar floor wash.

Once that is all done, I run the room for few hours with oso fans going, in / out fans, and put a new Auto Pyrethrin sprayer in. I use Raid Auto Advanced as they have more settings.

Once the fans have been run, all the girls go in, all nice and clean.

An Auto Pyrethrin Spray will last on full setting about 2 months, so will leave 4 week with out protection. At this late of stage and with all the prevention you have done. You shouldn't get an infestation of pest, but I have heard people running the Auto Sprays all the way till the end. As pyrethin degrades in about 2 days in sunlight, read http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=785&tid=153.

Having a hand held spray to kill bugs as you see them is a must. But once it sprayed there is no point leaving it on your plants, and they kill on contact. Unlike surface sprays eg your spider spray. So if you do spray you plant, give it a wash after. I use a systemic spray call Healthy Earth, give the plant a nice clean after.

Now the pest:

Spider mite, as its name says, its a Arachnid. So anything that kills or prevents spiders, will do the same to spider mite.

Thrips are in the same subclass as Cockroaches called Pterygota.  

Whitefly, Aphids and Scale are all in the suborder of Sternorrhyncha. So if something kills one it will kill the others.

Fungus Gnats / Scarid Fly are in the same order as Flies and Mosquito called Diptera.

Pyrethins are a blanket pesticide, so in small aerosol doses will help keep pest away. Or kill them when hit with large doses. 

So you don't need a shelf  full of products that all say they kill different things when they all kill the same thing. 

Neem vs Pyrethrum :  They are both organic, you can get made stuff of both, here is the difference between pyrethrum http://www.pyrethrum.com/how_it_works/pyrethrum_vs_pyrethroids.aspx.

They both kill pest - Pyrth kills ALL on contract when sprayed, neem needs to be eaten by pest and doesnt kill good insects like lady bugs ect. 

The are both a Repellent 

This is my thoughts  ( not every one agrees ) : Neem reduces insect feeding and it also interferes with insect hormone systems, making it harder for insects to grow and lay eggs. Which is great, but the fact it makes it HARDER for insects to grow and lay eggs is the issue. Over time if you use only  neem as a preventative, they will become resistant. Also by the time neem really starts working, the damage has been done. Which is a real downer if your indoors, if your outside. Then the battle of good and evil is non stop, and the last thing you want is resistant pest.  And I have/do use the auto sprayers outside, work a treat. 

Good Gardening. 

• Upvote 1

Short Answer - http://www.bunnings.com.au/multicrop-1l-pyrethrum-long-life-insecticide-_p2961421 will kill them right away.

Long Answer - As everyone says prevention is better then a cure. I do the same cleaning, prevention cycle every time and dont have issues with pest.

After my girls are done, I do a normal clean. Then Bomb my room with a Flea and Cockroach bomb, leave it for the night. While that is going on, I spray my doorway, in/out fan and any other place with a spider surface spray.

Next day, air the room out and do a second clean of walls, floor ect. I use a metho, lemon juice, clove and water spray for the roof, wall and all the equipment I use. And a simple bicarb and vinegar floor wash.

Once that is all done, I run the room for few hours with oso fans going, in / out fans, and put a new Auto Pyrethrin sprayer in. I use Raid Auto Advanced as they have more settings.

An Auto Pyrethrin Spray will last on full setting about 2 months, so will leave 4 week with out protection. At this late of stage and with all the prevention you have done. You shouldn't get an infestation of pest, but I have heard people running the Auto Sprays all the way till the end. As pyrethin degrades in about 2 days in sunlight, read http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=785&tid=153.

Having a hand held spray to kill bugs as you see them is a must. But once it sprayed there is no point leaving it on your plants, and they kill on contact. Unlike surface sprays eg your spider spray. So if you do spray you plant, give it a wash after. I use a systemic spray call Healthy Earth, give the plant a nice clean after.

Now the pest:

Spider mite, as its name says, its a Arachnid. So anything that kills or prevents spiders, will do the same to spider mite.

Whitefly, Aphids and Scale are all in the suborder of Sternorrhyncha. So if something kills one it will kill the others.

Fungus Gnats / Scarid Fly are in the same order as Flies and Mosquito called Diptera.

Pyrethins are a blanket pesticide, so in small aerosol doses will help keep pest away. Or kill them when hit with large doses. 

So you don't need a shelf  full of products that all say they kill different things when they all kill the same thing. 

Neem vs Pyrethrum :  They are both organic, you can get made stuff of both, here is the difference between pyrethrum http://www.pyrethrum.com/how_it_works/pyrethrum_vs_pyrethroids.aspx.

They both kill pest - Pyrth kills ALL on contract when sprayed, neem needs to be eaten by pest and doesnt kill good insects like lady bugs ect. 

The are both a Repellent 

This is my thoughts  ( not every one agrees ) : Neem reduces insect feeding and it also interferes with insect hormone systems, making it harder for insects to grow and lay eggs. Which is great, but the fact it makes it HARDER for insects to grow and lay eggs is the issue. Over time if you use only  neem as a preventative, they will become resistant. Also by the time neem really starts working, the damage has been done. Which is a real downer if your indoors, if your outside. Then the battle of good and evil is non stop, and the last thing you want is resistant pest.  And I have/do use the auto sprayers outside, work a treat. 

Good Gardening. 

i think it's fantastic you have an IPM & a thorough one at that , we should all take your lead ,  however you lost me at " Then Bomb my room with a Flea and Cockroach bomb "

I have no idea what's in that bomb but what you should understand is cannabis is like a sponge , have you ever made a perfect dry mull , had a pipe ( very nice ) , came back 

some time later to find the mull not as dry as it once was due to high humidity , like after a rain , cannabis is a sponge so what ever is in that bomb will stick to surfaces 

at some point release it's grip to cannabis plants below & if you use the room for drying it would be worse , 

not trying to pick a fight with you just concerned for your well being brother , i would suggest trying to use products that leave no residues

Goodluck to you man , i wish i had my IPM up to the standard of yours , impressive , but really look in to every thing you plan to put on or near your girls & not just the manufacturer

marketing blurb , it really is in your best interests 

Good Growing To you Brother 

All the Best

• Upvote 1

The Bomb is a Flea and Cockroach bomb, you put in a room to kill flea and cockroaches. When I let a Bomb off, there is no plants or human  in the room, and all power is turned off. Like one of these http://www.mortein.com.au/products/bombs/kill-protect-control-bombs/.

It is safe for humans after 2 hours but I leave it for 12 hours before going back in. I use it to kill any Pterygota, which are fleas, cockroaches, thrips, termites, grasshoppers.

The spider surface spray is a house hold surface spray used in everyday house holds. 

If you asking if I wash my walls and roof and floor to remove residues, then the answer is no. I was everything every time, buckets, tubes, equipment, the black and white poly plastic I have on my wall ect. The spray of metho, lemon, clove and water is ment to be a good mold killer, and makes the room nice and clean.

As neem oil is made from the neem tree, Pyrethrum is made from the dried flower of the Chrysanthemum. 

So really your spraying dried flower onto wet flower, so you can dry them.  :twiddle:

The extract from the Chrysanthemum plant containing pyrethrins is called pyrethrum and then man -made or synthetic version is called Pyrethroids. So Pyrethrins are natural and Pyrthroids are synthetic.

Hope that clears up any doubt, that I wouldn't suggest just any old spray, and don't just read the back of a the pack. The main reason I use those products is to reduce the chemmis they try and sell you. I have had mates get say Thrip and go the shops, and they buy some harsh produce that kill thrips. When thrips and cockroaches and flea are in the same pterygota subclass of insect. So a product the kills or prevents flea and cockroaches will kill Thrip. So if you use a produce that kills flea on your dog or cat, like a shampoo, the run off can be used as a drench to kill or prevent thrip on your plants. Shampoo is just a wetting agent, and the chemmi that is killing the flea is trageting the subclass of insect called pterygota, which thrips are in. I could go on, but I think you get the pic.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Edited by chopperw33d

Multicrop 

Multicrop Pyrethrum Insect Spray (Ready to Use).

Active Constituents: : Pyerthrins; Piperonyl Butoxide

http://www.multicrop.com.au/MSDS/Pyrethrum%20Insect%20Spray%20RTU-ref-1034.pdf

Piperonyl Butoxide

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/pbogen.pdf

Does piperonyl butoxide cause cancer?

Animals : 

Researchers detected an increased occurrence of liver tumors at the highest dose

tested in male and female mice fed diets containing piperonyl butoxide (6, 7, 11). Researchers

consider the mice tumors a low hazard and unlikely to represent a human cancer risk from

piperonyl butoxide exposure (11).

Humans :

The U.S. EPA classifies piperonyl butoxide as a group C carcinogen (13). This means that

piperonyl butoxide is considered a possible human carcinogen based on limited evidence of cancer

in laboratory animals. See box on Cancer.

KNOW WHAT YOU ARE USING , FOR YOURSELF & MORE IMPORTANTLY OTHERS CONSUMING YOUR PRODUCT 

low or high risk , just don't take the risk

sorry mate but we need to be better then that as a community for future legalization 

& your already most the way there with your IPM brother 

neem , look at there life cycle so your sprays are at the right timing  

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html

& look into setting up a pre-emptive plan for future grows ,

stop em B4 U get em

Now the pest:

The are both a Repellent 

Good Gardening. 

Tnx for the advice guys. Took a trip to bunnings today and picked a spray pack of Yates Mavrick systemic insecticide. Not exactly ideal for the environment or humans but I researched thrips and it's the best way to get em as they chew deep into the growing tips and contact sprays are less effective requiring more doses. Follow up is 7-10 days if required and the withholding period is 2 days. If my girls were in full bloom then I'd definitely go with something less toxic. Let yas know how it goes :)

Tnx for the advice guys. Took a trip to bunnings today and picked a spray pack of Yates Mavrick systemic insecticide. Not exactly ideal for the environment or humans but I researched thrips and it's the best way to get em as they chew deep into the growing tips and contact sprays are less effective requiring more doses. Follow up is 7-10 days if required and the withholding period is 2 days. If my girls were in full bloom then I'd definitely go with something less toxic. Let yas know how it goes :)

Tau-fluvalinate http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+6659