Gnat Infestation

from memory pyrythium only kills the adults not the larvae they are the ones that do any real damage to your plants

and are the harder ones to kill. neem oil does a good job on the adults and yates pyrithium spray too but i have troubles killing the larvae. i use  alsystyn larvacide 250 during veg but if the mongrels show up during flower i dont like to use it.

you talking bout coco ? 

don't use the bunnings bricks ,

canna coco with trichoderma would be one brand to look at , def not bunnings

hello mate no i was talking about the trichoderma but yeah i do use the bunnings coco, i have been thinking i will change to a good brand to see if they show up again or not haha. if its the bunnings bricks that are the problem that will teach me for being a tight ass wont it

hello mate no i was talking about the trichoderma but yeah i do use the bunnings coco, i have been thinking i will change to a good brand to see if they show up again or not haha. if its the bunnings bricks that are the problem that will teach me for being a tight ass wont it

i should have been more clear

bunnings bricks or brunnings i think they are , are fine to use just a bit of work in cleaning up first , i think Lu has drop info on cleaning the bricks in the past

Tight Arse , i'm right there with ya brother 

do the numbers but maybe just adding Myco Apply Maxx to what you already have going http://mycorrhizae.com/mycoapply-products/liquid/mycoapply-soluble-maxx/

• Upvote 2

You could reduce the number of larvae in your medium by cutting a few spuds in half and placing them with the cut side down on top of your medium. Give it a day or so, turn those spuds cut side up and you will see the little critters all over the spud. Replace with a fresh cut spud, alternatively, after treating with a pesticide, you could consider adding some gnat nix or similar top dressing to your pots, to help reduce the likelyhood of re-infestation. I prefer the spud method, but once infested, I continue until harvest. Good thing spuds are cheap.
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for all the great advice to everyone who contributed, as always it's been a big help.

I just finished my second drench of neem oil at 2ml per litre, I've also been spraying the top of my medium daily with a mix of neem and dishwashing liquid, (2ml of neem, 2 drops of dishwashing liquid, in a 500ml sprayer) you can also add tea tree oil to this mix for anyone who's interested. I've also been burning mosquito coils to kill the adult gnats, (this method is a bit controversial, some people say it's okay others don't) do your own research and decide for yourself I guess.

Now that I've started getting on top of the gnat issue, I think my plants are suffering from Pythium, not sure if the gnats spread this, or if that's the reason the gnats turned up in the first place, either way, it's something that needs to be fixed.

I'm going to use Trichoderma, I was just after some advice on the product first, mainly on a specific brand called 'Great White Premium Mycorrhizae Beneficial Bacteria & Trichoderma). The description on Ebay sounds like it's a good way to go, it also says it's suitable for any substrate, so I'm guessing it's fine to use on coco? Has anyone had any experience with this product? 

My advice to any new, or even experienced coco growers is to innoculate your medium, using things mentioned through out the thread like diatomaceous earth. Prevention is easier than fighting the problem, from now on I will be doing this every grow.

Sorry I couldnt address everyone individually for thier efforts, I'm still typing on my IPhone.

never grown in coco but great white i've use & using at the mo , works well 

also used MAI myco apply maxx http://www.maiaustralia.com.au/information-by-industry/hydroponics

would recommend both , not both together , although you could use both at the same time 

Nice vid here , not on hydro , but on the way plants work in symbioses with microbes & what that means for food quality & human health  

Dan Kittredge : https://youtu.be/QOtsWsMbabg

might not be of interest to you but there ya go anyway 

"burning mosquito coils" Danger Will Robinson Danger"

• Upvote 1

dose your coco come with trichoderma ? try a fresh top dress with that & diatomaceous earth , yellow sticky traps also help

+1   :sun:    the sharp sand will carve em up, the myco will starve em and the traps do what they do best :bongon:  Heya itchy will building the bacteria in the medium with lacto or the like assist with keeping the gnats disinterested do you know?  :unknw:

Faith :sun:

Edited by Faith