How to Resize and Optimize images for Ozstoners

Pure

I have been asked buy a few people how to go about resizing their images without spending lots of money on software or loosing allot of quality, now you can do it in mspaint which comes with every windows version but I find this very limited as you can’t choose the exact size of your image or effectively optimize it .

The application I recommend to those of you looking for a free application is Gimp,

Gimp is an open source application created for *nix based systems originally but has now been written to run on windows as well. It is full of features and craps all over mspaint he he

K well lets get started shall we, first thing you need to do is get what you need for the application, bellow is a list of links directly to what you need, if you would prefer to find your own location you can do so buy searching for gimp on google

Necessities

Save these files to your desktop for convenience sake

To use the links I have provided right click and select save target as

GTK+ 2 Runtime Environment This package is required by The Gimp 2.0.4

Gimp 2.0.4 for Windows

Optional

Winrar

Winrar is like winzip but it does more formats and has a few more options ( you will need something to unzip the files )

Gimp Help Files

There are many other packages available for gimp which can be found around the web such as for animation but what I listed is really all we could need for our purposes in this tutorial

The Install

Firstly for those of you who needed to download winrar just double click on the file and follow the prompts the defaults are fine unless you want it in a special place.

Now you need to unzip the gimp files, simply right click on the file and select the extract file here option, this will extract the file to whatever folder your file was in ( in this case the desktop ) after doing that to both of the zipped files you should have two new install files on your desktop. PLEASE READ THE NEXT PART BECAUSE THE ORDER OF INSTALL IS IMPORTANT

Find the file called gtk+-2.4.7-setup.exe and double click to run through the install, default options are fine unless you want the files in a specific place on the machine. This installs the GTK+ 2 runtime environment which is needed buy gimp to run

Once that is installed we can move onto installing the gimp lol and yes it is called the gimp. K well find and double click on the file called gimp-2.0.4-i586-setup.exe, and once again just go through and use the defaults for the install.

Now that Gimp is installed you should have an icon on your desktop which says gimp , unless you unchecked that box during the setup in which case select your start menu and find the gimp folder as pictured bellow

post-3507-1095494624_thumb.jpg

Ok the first time gimp opens it pops up with the configuration stuff once again use the default settings and hit next a few times unless you want specific settings in which case change what you want to

Time to resize the Picture

Click on file and open as shown in the attached image

post-3507-1095494799_thumb.jpg

Find the location you have placed your file, select it and click OK , you should get a new window popup with the image inside it this image also has it’s own menu bar, on that menu bar go into the Image dropdown and select scale image as shown the attached image

post-3507-1095495033_thumb.jpg

You will then get a window popup and give you the option of what size you would like the image to be after you change it all you need to do here is resize the largest number to what you want ( I usually use 600 – 750 pixels ) you will notice the smaller number will automatically change after you have clicked ok an example of what to change to use this feature have a look at the attached image

post-3507-1095495414_thumb.jpg

Ok now the picture is resized all you need to do is save the file, to do this click on file and then save as , you will then get a window pop up asking you what to save the file as, I recommend you use a jpg or jpeg file type if you are unsure how to select the file extension to use have a look at the attached image

post-3507-1095495607_thumb.jpg

After you click on save yet another window will pop up with optimization options there is a box at the top of the window that says preview in image window, tick this box and you will notice underneath where that is more text will appear to tell you what the file size will be with the current optimization settings ( circled in attached image) , this changes in real time so as you change around options in the window the file size displayed will change too, now all you need to do is find the bar that allows you to adjust the quality ( see picture) and take the quality down as needed to get the file size you want,

post-3507-1095495925_thumb.jpg

And that’s it your done, to check the file is now the right size go to the location of the file on the hard drive and right click on it, and go into the properties option where there is a section that tells you the file size ( it’s around the middle under the heading file size ). Hope that helps a few of you out , let me know if there is any additional information you need .. For now though I'm gonna go have a chop lol

Sounds all good to me pure.

Theres a fairly easy way for XP users also,

XP POWER TOOLS.

that thread will take you to a microsoft(cocks) website that has cool tools.

One of them is the resizer, Image Resizer

Download ImageResizer.exe

521 KB 2 min @ 28.8 Kbps

What this allows you to do is to right click on a pic, that you have saved to your hard drive and you will get the options to resize the pic.

Click to resize and it will ADD a second copy of the pic, but this will be the resized pic.

Easy as.

Important Information

By using the community in any way you agree to our Terms of Use and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.