Orchids...

They're spectacular Luke, I'll bet you're loving the new job :P I've always wanted to have orchids, but I seem to kill them for some reason <_<

I've still got the one you gave me though, she looks a bit lonely by herself, so I should add to the collection. You need to teach me oh wise one :bow ::P:

A relative of mine gave me a whole heap of off cuts of soft cane dendrobiums. They had on average 2 pusuedo bulbs each with a bunch of roots coming from a base. I ddin't even know how to pot them. I didn't know if I should put the roots under the medium, leave it ontop of it, and water them regularly until they grew their new roots down into the medium themselves...I had no idea, and everyone I asked said somthing different.

I finallyhave a bit of an idea, and I didn't expect any of them to flower this first spring at all. I picked them up in the middle of winter, so they had no time to get roots going by Spring. They are growing new roots, and shoots all over the place now, and a few flowered. I was pretty lucky.

In spite of the fact I read so many publications warning against using rooting acceloratos, I used Canna's Ryzotonic, and they just went mad. It's what gave me some blooms when I'm sure I would have got none otherwise.

I have a couple vanadas that need setting up, they're just laying around unpotted. They're bent way out of shape, kinda screwy <_<.

I didn't take many pics, but here's one of the first to open.

post-2-1097944362_thumb.jpg

If anyone can identify this one I'd really appreciate it. It's not an orchid, it grows in soil. I had some seeds for it, and these are actually from the seeds I pinched from some-one's garden. But unfortunately they're a couple years old now and I can't get any more to shoot. I'd like to identify it so I can chase some new seed for it.

Cheers

rob

post-2-1097946381_thumb.jpg

These are just beautiful flowers, I have 10 cymbidium's and they got frost bitten earlier in the year so no flowers this year. I thought the frost may have killed them and I was going to throw them out, I'm glad I didnt, My good old Nana told me to leave them, repot them and see how they go, will 7 out of the 10 have new growth on them so hopefully I will get some spikes for next year.

I hope everyone have had some awesome flowers this season.

Peace to all :yingyang