Drug driving: One in four test positive on day six of Christmas holida

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/drug-driving-one-in-four-test-positive-on-day-six-of-christmas-holidays-20151229-glwe9x.html

Drug driving: One in four test positive on day six of Christmas holidays

Date December 30, 2015
Amy Mitchell-Whittington

Almost every fourth drug driving test has come back positive on day six of the Christmas holiday period in Queensland, with police expected to increase roadside drug testing in the new year.

More than 200 drug driving tests were performed on Monday, December 28, with 46 tests coming back positive, yet to be analysed.

The figures represent a dramatic increase on last year's numbers with 41 drug driving tests performed on the same day returning nine positive results.

Assistant Commissioner for Road Policing Command Mike Keating said drug testing on Queensland roads revealed cannabis was the most common drug used.

"Disturbingly, what we are finding is that from the people we are testing, one in three, one in four are positive to some form of drug. That is a huge risk to us,"

Assistant Commissioner Keating said.

"We do see an increasing rate in relation to methamphetamines but it is nowhere near the detection rates we are seeing for cannabis."

Drug testing was introduced in Queensland in 2007, with more than 130,000 roadside drug tests conducted so far.

In December 2014, Road Policing Command commenced the Statewide Roadside Drug Testing Deployment Project to increase the numbers of officers able to perform the tests.

As of March this year, 291 police officers were trained in roadside drug testing.

"Last year in Queensland we did just over 20,000 tests for drug driving, this year we are aiming to do between 28,000 and 30,000 tests this calendar year; that is a huge increase," assistant commissioner Keating said.

Queensland Police's Christmas Road Safety campaign runs up until Sunday, January 3, with police officers expected to crack down on the fatal five - speeding, fatigue, impaired driving (drink and drug), failure to wear a seatbelt and distraction/inattention - to minimise road trauma.

Police are also urging motorists to slow down and adhere to the speed limits, after motorbike rider was clocked at 215km in a 110km zone on the Bruce Highway at the Glass House Mountains on the Sunshine Coast on Sunday.

Traffic Offences Snapshot for December 28 2015:

• speeding offences: 4004
  • seatbelt offences: 31
  • mobile phone offences: 52
  • other offences: 804
  • total offences: 1748
Edited by lookinggoodguys
  • Upvote 3

someone needs to learn basic maths

"More than 200 drug driving tests were performed on Monday, December 28, with 46 tests coming back positive, yet to be analysed.

The figures represent a dramatic increase on last year's numbers with 41 drug driving tests performed on the same day returning nine positive results."

200 tests with 46 positive = 23% (ok so there were more than 200 tests)

220 tests with 46 positive = 20.9% (220 is just a random number)

41 tests with 9 positive = 21.95%

so where is this "dramatic increase"?

• Upvote 10

someone needs to learn basic maths

"More than 200 drug driving tests were performed on Monday, December 28, with 46 tests coming back positive, yet to be analysed.

The figures represent a dramatic increase on last year's numbers with 41 drug driving tests performed on the same day returning nine positive results."

200 tests with 46 positive = 23% (ok so there were more than 200 tests)

220 tests with 46 positive = 20.9% (220 is just a random number)

41 tests with 9 positive = 21.95%

so where is this "dramatic increase"?

Well spotted.

I believe the reason for more Cannabis detections is that it stays detectable by swab for longer than other drugs. So much longer that the driver is not impaired.

I'm not saying that no one tested was impaired, just that many probably were not as the swabs do not measure impairment.

+1

The pollies and the coppers are fully aware of this as well, and it is reflected in the legislation which makes the presence of it in your system the offence regardless of whether any impairment exists or not.  This makes these roadside canna tests pure gold for statistics and media hype, and on that basis it's unlikely that this ridiculous situation will ever be addressed and rectified. 

Add to this the apparently high number of false positives the initial tests are reputed to show, which are then lab tested for the minutest trace even if a 2nd test shows negative, and those of us who do the right thing are at very high risk of becoming victims with no possible defense, and that really pisses me off.  More accurate roadside testing equipment exists, yet they are sticking with these, mmm, wonder why?

If I get time later I'll go looking for it and post a link, but there have been studies done into blood levels for THC and impairment, in the States from memory, so the necessary knowledge exists.  I would be a lot happier with these tests if there was a legislated option to get a blood test done that could overturn the initial test if it came back under a given level, that way I don't have to risk my licence every time I drive as I never drive stoned, but I have no problem with wasted drivers getting done.

The sad thing for me is that if I wanted to be irresponsible I could buy various concoctions on the market to mask or cleanse etc and keep a bottle in the centre console and drive around off my tits safe in the knowledge that I can grab a swig if needed.  I've also heard stories of people passing these tests after brushing their teeth and a few other things, but whether they are real or just false negatives I don't know.

There have also been various studies done showing stoned drivers to be safer than drunk ones, but that's a separate issue and doesn't necessarilly make it right.

• Upvote 3

+1

The pollies and the coppers are fully aware of this as well, and it is reflected in the legislation which makes the presence of it in your system the offence regardless of whether any impairment exists or not.  This makes these roadside canna tests pure gold for statistics and media hype, and on that basis it's unlikely that this ridiculous situation will ever be addressed and rectified. 

Add to this the apparently high number of false positives the initial tests are reputed to show, which are then lab tested for the minutest trace even if a 2nd test shows negative, and those of us who do the right thing are at very high risk of becoming victims with no possible defense, and that really pisses me off.  More accurate roadside testing equipment exists, yet they are sticking with these, mmm, wonder why?

If I get time later I'll go looking for it and post a link, but there have been studies done into blood levels for THC and impairment, in the States from memory, so the necessary knowledge exists.  I would be a lot happier with these tests if there was a legislated option to get a blood test done that could overturn the initial test if it came back under a given level, that way I don't have to risk my licence every time I drive as I never drive stoned, but I have no problem with wasted drivers getting done.

The sad thing for me is that if I wanted to be irresponsible I could buy various concoctions on the market to mask or cleanse etc and keep a bottle in the centre console and drive around off my tits safe in the knowledge that I can grab a swig if needed.  I've also heard stories of people passing these tests after brushing their teeth and a few other things, but whether they are real or just false negatives I don't know.

There have also been various studies done showing stoned drivers to be safer than drunk ones, but that's a separate issue and doesn't necessarilly make it right.

My brother passed one at his job. He was told 5 minutes before he was going to be tested. His mate gave him some orange juice, swilled around in his mouth, spit out, test negative. Having said that I don't think they used the same tests that the police use. 

...armed tax collection

:sun:

lol

Mildly amusing, but probably not true as it likely costs a lot more for police man hrs and testing equipment, and the court's time than what the fines generate.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a sudden massive jump in the fines for it if some smartarse douche pollie figures there could be a profit in it.  But for now I see it more as a waste of taxpayers money to generate "tough on crime" statistics.

• Upvote 1

The sad part of this drug driving experiment by the Government that it effects good people from all walks of life. 

"Disturbingly, what we are finding is that from the people we are testing, one in three, one in four are positive to some form of drug. That is a huge risk to us,"Assistant Commissioner Keating said. 

I know police that have friends that use cannabis...

Edited by lookinggoodguys