Sex reversal experiment - Silver Thiosulphate

Any female pollinated by the pollen from the reversed female will produce fem seed.

One plant I did treat a couple of weeks after I started 12/12. Male flowers have formed but none that have opened have been viable yet. That doesn't mean it won't work just that the one plant I've tried it on hasn't released pollen yet and I don't know if it will.

Let me know if I didn't understand your question properly.

Yeah makes sense mate, So it would be no good to try at the end of flower then.

I guess thats why Ive never grown males, only seeds Ive ever used until this season were harvested from outdoor females found while trimming or mulling. 

So if you leave a female long enough the seeds it produces towards the end of it's life cycle must be feminized to?

Yeah makes sense mate, So it would be no good to try at the end of flower then.

I guess thats why Ive never grown males, only seeds Ive ever used until this season were harvested from outdoor females found while trimming or mulling. 

So if you leave a female long enough the seeds it produces towards the end of it's life cycle must be feminized to?

It should be female if it was not pollinated by a male plant or a true hermaphrodite.

If you breed with those seeds you will be selecting genes that are prone to throwing bananas in flower.

The best practice would be to stress test any plants you intend to breed with to only use those that don't reverse due to stress.

That's not really a big issue if you just want seeds for personal use, or you may just want to breed with a plant you don't have any males of.

• Upvote 2

So if you do this with a male plant and make fem flowers, will the seeds be male?

Males can be reversed with other chemicals but the seeds would be regular (not all male and not all female).

Female Cannabis plants have matching sex chromosomes (XX) while males do not (XY).

When you reverse a female to produce male flowers this does not change the chromosomes. This means that all the offspring will be XX (female).

If you reverse a male plant to produce pistils the sex chromosomes will still be XY so the offspring will be a combination of XX (female) and XY (male).

• Upvote 2

Males can be reversed with other chemicals but the seeds would be regular (not all male and not all female).

Female Cannabis plants have matching sex chromosomes (XX) while males do not (XY).

When you reverse a female to produce male flowers this does not change the chromosomes. This means that all the offspring will be XX (female).

If you reverse a male plant to produce pistils the sex chromosomes will still be XY so the offspring will be a combination of XX (female) and XY (male).

Cool thread Nay :bongon:

Breeding from reversed males can be fun and a very handy breeding tool but just like breeding with polyploid plants you can easily end up in a bad place if you don't do it right.

In the case of reversing males there are a couple of outcomes you can get depending on what pollen is used for eg. When you reverse a male plant each female flower it grows will have either an X or a Y chromosome.  If you pollinate those flowers with a normal male which have pollen of either X or Y you will end up with XX seed (female), XY seed (male) and YY seeds (male). This isn't a problem if you breed the XX and the XY seed together as they will throw normal average of 50/50 male to female offspring that have either XX or XY chromosomes, but if you used a YY male as the father all the offspring seed will be XY. (males). In theory it sounds simple to just use an XY male but it is impossible to know which males are XY and which ones are YY in practice until you have bred from them. An easy way to avoid getting all YY seed is to pollinate the reversed male with a reversed females pollen (all its pollen will be X). That  way all their offspring will be XX (female) or XY (male).

:peace: MongyMan

• Upvote 2

Cool thread Nay :bongon:

Breeding from reversed males can be fun and a very handy breeding tool but just like breeding with polyploid plants you can easily end up in a bad place if you don't do it right.

In the case of reversing males there are a couple of outcomes you can get depending on what pollen is used for eg. When you reverse a male plant each female flower it grows will have either an X or a Y chromosome.  If you pollinate those flowers with a normal male which have pollen of either X or Y you will end up with XX seed (female), XY seed (male) and YY seeds (male). This isn't a problem if you breed the XX and the XY seed together as they will throw normal average of 50/50 male to female offspring that have either XX or XY chromosomes, but if you used a YY male as the father all the offspring seed will be XY. (males). In theory it sounds simple to just use an XY male but it is impossible to know which males are XY and which ones are YY in practice until you have bred from them. An easy way to avoid getting all YY seed is to pollinate the reversed male with a reversed females pollen (all its pollen will be X). That  way all their offspring will be XX (female) or XY (male).

:peace: MongyMan

Wicked , cheers for that I forgot about the YY's

It should be female if it was not pollinated by a male plant or a true hermaphrodite.

If you breed with those seeds you will be selecting genes that are prone to throwing bananas in flower.

The best practice would be to stress test any plants you intend to breed with to only use those that don't reverse due to stress.

That's not really a big issue if you just want seeds for personal use, or you may just want to breed with a plant you don't have any males of.

I see some much talk of hermies around the traps when breeders are making strains, is there some benifit to strains that are prone to hermie? I would have thought they would stress their wares to the max before releasing them into the wild?

I see some much talk of hermies around the traps when breeders are making strains, is there some benifit to strains that are prone to hermie? I would have thought they would stress their wares to the max before releasing them into the wild?

I don't really see a benefit to the grower. It is only really a benefit to the plant, being able to produce male flowers ensures the plant passes it's genes on to a new generation.

It would be great if breeders did release strains that had been stress tested and are not prone to throw late male flowers. It would even be good if they said how prone their strains were to do this if they have the info.

I have a strain that doesn't throw out bananas unless I accidentally leave the ceiling light on during the dark cycle in flower which I sometimes accidentally do after using it to take photos.

Hey Naycha,

Im about to do something very similar with Silver Nitrate and Sodium thiosulphate.

I just wanted to ask you about the ratio that you used for the STS

My recipe ( which i have never used) is

Two Part solution.

PART A consists of 0.5 grams of silver nitrates stirred into 500ml of distilled water.

PART B is 2.5 grams of sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 500ml of distilled water.

After these two are made blend part A with B while stirring rapidly,

Just wanted to see what you thought of it?

Cheers Watts up

I've been successfully making femenised seeds for a while.

I purchased a silver colloidal water maker which was 100 something dollars. I spray the plants or specific branch if you only have one plant at least once a day from flip for 2-3 weeks until you see the beginings of male flowers

I've found the most effective way to pollinate is not to cut the flowers off but just very gently dab the female flowers or if pollen is prolific , tap the reversed male over the target female then you'll have 100s of beans, in my case, all from a 20cm plants grown under T5

• Upvote 1