Sex reversal experiment - Silver Thiosulphate

I've been waiting till the flowers have partly opened to remove them from the plant and tap the pollen out. There is a bit of trial and error involved. Take them off too early and they don't develop enough to drop pollen, too late and some pollen will be lost when you tweeze them off. If you get the timing just right you don't lose any pollen as you remove them, you then place on a piece of paper and as they dry the pollen is released.

I don't have a separate area setup so the flowers are developing really slowly. I've just been putting them in a wardrobe at night and in a room with the ceiling light on during the day.

I have brushed some lower buds of the Lush with the tweezers after handling the flowers and the pollen looks fertile (pistils are abscising).

gallery_15017_1556_18444.jpg

gallery_15017_1556_108358.jpg

• Upvote 6

Hi naycha can this stuff be bought in Aussie ? If it can where? I have searched and can only find USA and European/UK stockists. I reckon this would be cool to pollinate my best plants with themselves as I cant easily keep clones long period.

Tangwena

I bought the silver nitrate and sodium thiosulphate online from Vanbar Imaging and mixed them at home.

Based on the price I think the sodium thiosulphate from Vanbar is the Pentahydrate (see MM's comment below).

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=104644

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=77006

Prepare a 0.1 M Sodium Thiosulfate (STS) stock solution by dissolving 1.58 g of Sodium Thiosulphate into 100 ml of water. Prepare a 0.1 M Silver Nitrate stock solution by dissolving 1.7 g of Silver Nitrate into 100 ml of water. Store the stock solutions in the dark until needed to prepare the STS.

In general, the STS is prepared with a molar ratio between silver and thiosulfate of 1:4, respectively. Nearly all of the silver present in the solution is in the form of

[Ag(S2O3)2]3-, the active complex for ethylene effect inhibition.

Prepare a 0.02 M STS by slowly pouring 20 ml of 0.1 M silver nitrate stock solution into 80 ml of 0.1 M sodium thiosulfate stock solution. The STS can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. However, preparation of the STS just prior to use is recommended.

Either sodium thiosulfate anhydrous or sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate can be used but if using sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate it is less concentrated than sodium thiosulfate anhydrous and you need to use 1.56x more.

:peace: MongyMan

• Upvote 2

Say you had a couple females in the same area outdoor for example & you reversed one plant to produce the fem seed, could it still pollinate the females & turn them male to produce non-fem seed if it is producing feminized seed?

Also this can only be done in veg yeah?

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by RickShawRyder

Say you had a couple females in the same area outdoor for example & you reversed one plant to produce the fem seed, could it still pollinate the females & turn them male to produce non-fem seed if it is producing feminized seed?

Also this can only be done in veg yeah?

Hope this makes sense.

Any female pollinated by the pollen from the reversed female will produce fem seed.

One plant I did treat a couple of weeks after I started 12/12. Male flowers have formed but none that have opened have been viable yet. That doesn't mean it won't work just that the one plant I've tried it on hasn't released pollen yet and I don't know if it will.

Let me know if I didn't understand your question properly.

• Upvote 1