You need to get your plate "seasoned", so it's important not to clean it too well.  I used to do the beer, scrape, and newspaper (never use water, and especially not detergent) thing, but at the risk of being pilloried as not being a proper Aussie I no longer really drink.  These days I usually just scrape it down while hot at the end of a cook, and again at the start of the next one, if it's real bad I'll chuck a little oil on to help.  The build up of oils/fat in the cast iron plate helps it to be non stick and adds good BBQ flavour.

As for the grill plate, basically the same but the scrape is more fiddly. 

It's cleaning the rest of the thing that sux, I use BBQ cleaner from Bummings, wire brush, scraper and scourers for that.  Also use this for the tamer plate under the grill on a regular basis otherwise it catches on fire, I love the flame grilled flavour on me meat, but not the smoky taste from a fat fire.

BBQing and lawn mowing are the only thing's I'm a sexist pig about, but I'd have to say that I'm not sure we should let you whinging poms loose on the barbie either lol , I've seen that fat fuckwit Jamie Oliver's idea of a BBQ, unnacceptable shite, it's all about meat, beer, and bullshit down here.  If you can get it right we'll make you an honourary Aussie, or a "down under pirate" if you prefer :D

• Upvote 4

BBQing and lawn mowing are the only thing's I'm a sexist pig about, but I'd have to say that I'm not sure we should let you whinging poms loose on the barbie either lol , I've seen that fat fuckwit Jamie Oliver's idea of a BBQ, unnacceptable shite, it's all about meat, beer, and bullshit down here.  If you can get it right we'll make you an honourary Aussie, or a "down under pirate" if you prefer :D

lol agree. Lawns and bbq's are a man's thing!

Well, I'll just have to have a summer GT aboard me vessel and prove I can cook a decent barbie eh.. lol

Personally I go for heat and a good scrape after cooking and before the next cook up, then a sacrificial onion or two is sliced and used to clean the plate. They do a great job of removing and crap that's left on the plate (an aussie mates trick). Tried dedicated chem cleaners before but they just ruin the flavour of the meat.

I will try the lemon technique frank, sounds a good'un!

Cheers all :good:

Psycho has the idea. ( and since im going 15y 4mths 3 days sober.I don't use beer either)

You need to get your plate "seasoned", so it's important not to clean it too well. I used to do the beer, scrape, and newspaper (never use water, and especially not detergent) thing, but at the risk of being pilloried as not being a proper Aussie I no longer really drink. These days I usually just scrape it down while hot at the end of a cook, and again at the start of the next one, if it's real bad I'll chuck a little oil on to help. The build up of oils/fat in the cast iron plate helps it to be non stick and adds good BBQ flavour.

So instead of beer there are always some health nuts coming so I heat it up nice and hot and then use the fat (good wholesome fat  drool) that ive had to cut of the meat to clean and scrape with.

And at the  risk of starting a war with the poms..  If it runs on gas it ain't a BBQ its an outdoor stove.

p.s. and why clean the rest of it your not eating off it ???

Edited by Knarfman

Ill get plate thickness wen i can focus on the measuring tape,

Another note on bbq

Canola oil is best to treat plate between bbq after a clean

Olive oils etc contains salt

Which only encourages rust on cheap cast iron plates

Cheers Tig!

Psycho has the idea. ( and since im going 15y 4mths 3 days sober.I don't use beer either)

You need to get your plate "seasoned", so it's important not to clean it too well. I used to do the beer, scrape, and newspaper (never use water, and especially not detergent) thing, but at the risk of being pilloried as not being a proper Aussie I no longer really drink. These days I usually just scrape it down while hot at the end of a cook, and again at the start of the next one, if it's real bad I'll chuck a little oil on to help. The build up of oils/fat in the cast iron plate helps it to be non stick and adds good BBQ flavour.

So instead of beer there are always some health nuts coming so I heat it up nice and hot and then use the fat (good wholesome fat drool) that ive had to cut of the meat to clean and scrape with.

And at the risk of starting a war with the poms.. If it runs on gas it ain't a BBQ its an outdoor stove.

p.s. and why clean the rest of it your not eating off it ???

Cheers knarfman.

Haha, outdoor stove, I like it. Like I said us poms/expats didnt bbq too much due to shitty weather in the uk, or properly by the sounds of things lol. Congrats on ya sobriety mate!

Peace all :)

Edited by cap'n yNg